Just wondering how everyone feels about this artical...

Options

Replies

• meg516
    meg516 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow.. whoooo wrote this?
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The author is someone who sells "cardio-free" memberships to his gym. He's selling something. He's biased.

/thread
  • cicd
    cicd Posts: 2
    Options
    Ssooo.. no cardio???
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    quoting from this article, "did young Captain Kirk look like he had a weight problem"........uuuum yeah he did and is rumored to have wore a girdle on set. I'm sorry I can't take anyone's word when they don't even know basic sci-fi.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    the author of this article is an idiot
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You've experienced a major weight loss.... tell us, did YOU accomplish it w/out any cardio?
  • dwallenburg1
    Options
    So cardio makes you fat?

Let's take a look at triathletes, cyclists, and runners. Not to many fatties in the big leagues of those sports?
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You've experienced a major weight loss.... tell us, did YOU accomplish it w/out any cardio?

I am not 100% if this is directed to me but I am going to answer anyway.

NO. Actually I've accomplished it without strength training (or very very little strength training). But don't forget people you cannot out-exercise a bad diet!

EDITED - LOL sorry I've just seen that the author of the thread has experienced a major weight loss :DD
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Options
    I met with a trainer at my gym yesterday, which I was then informed that if I wanted to lose 100+ pounds, that I would have to do strength training.

The Aqua & Hydro classes I'm taking DO work with water weights, so wouldn't that accomplish any "Strength training" I would need to do. And, doesn't it just sound like the trainer wants to sell training hours?
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Options
    EDITED - LOL sorry I've just seen that the author of the thread has experienced a major weight loss :DD

It was intended to the author, but anyone w/ any weight loss is encouraged to answer that question :wink:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The article actually makes sense to me. Most cardio is a problem for me because: knees. I want to keep what knee function I have. I like kettlebells. They are fun and make me stronger and I don't have to join a gym.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Of course not. Smart cardio was my key to losing 35 pounds, all fat. My gym has one of those body fat measurement systems and I literally dropped over 40 pounds of body fat and added about 5 pounds lean muscle mass. 45 to 60 minutes, each session, not on a bike, at a fat burning HR zone. There are no shortcuts.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Nothing surprises me when it comes to "experts" in the health/diet fields.Remember when bacon was bad,eggs were evil,eat lots of

olive oil,dip bread in it. Now we can't eat bread,fruit is too much sugar & pork is the new white meat

The exercise article might be 100% true,but at 69.....I have no years to wait, for them to actually come to a solid,researched conclusion. Guess I will just keep on counting calories & doing exercises that work for me.
  • JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I lost 51 lbs a few years ago without any exercise. Just a strict diet. I haven't gained anything back yet. But I don't see how cardio can make anyone fat.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with going "cardio-free." With that being said, this is the worst written health article I have ever read, and I feel slightly less intelligent after reading it. Yahoo.com is notorious for publishing these kind of articles.

You would think if a guy was going to use terms like HRV and EPOC, he would actually do research on what they are. Then to argue that people that do cardio are going to gain weight?

I've never been so embarrassed to be a personal trainer.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There truly is only one reason to exercise: To increase your metabolism in order to burn more calories 24 hours a day, seven days a week. What is the only style of exercise that accomplishes that goal? Strength training. Increasing your metabolism through strength training is the key to successful, permanent weight loss.

Bollocks.....
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what aspect of health you look at - you will find an "expert" somewhere who takes an opinion to the extreme.

I do firmly believe that muscles are an important factor of long term health and that strength training aids in promoting a healthy metabolism which in turn can lead to weight loss. That does not meanthat Cardio is in itself not also a beneficial activity with it's own set of related benefits.

The article also completely misses the mark by theorizing that the only reason anybody is at the gym or exercising is either to lose weight or maintain weight loss. That is probably true for a large percentage of people, but many people are exercising or participating in sports for reasons completely unrelated to their weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's a mixture of truth and bias.

Let's face it, one doesn't have to do any exercise to lose weight, but one does need a calorie deficit.

If one just did cardio only to lose weight, he's right about the person just being a smaller version of their current shape.

While cardio isn't needed in an exercise program, it's a great idea to have some cardio in your program just for heart health.

I absolutely believe that a resistance training program can offer more to body composition than just cardio training alone. Especially if the training is HIIT training.

In reality, people should do exercise that they feel they can do for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There truly is only one reason to exercise: To increase your metabolism in order to burn more calories 24 hours a day, seven days a week. What is the only style of exercise that accomplishes that goal? Strength training. Increasing your metabolism through strength training is the key to successful, permanent weight loss.

Bollocks.....

I stopped reading at this exact part of the article...
  • tizzypic
    tizzypic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust anything written on Yahoo. Their "experts" are usually trying to sell something and their "research" isn't very reliable. Cardio is important to add to our fitness regimen because it's supposed to condition the very thing it takes its name from - our heart.