Trouble Mixing Protein Powder

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I started lifting a couple weeks ago and got extremely hungry and weak the first week. So I decided to add in some protein shakes after my lifting days to see if that helps. I bring the pre measured powder in a blender ball bottle and fill it up with hot water when I get to work. One time it blended perfectly and it was the most delicious hot chocolately drink ever, I was pumped! But every other time it's been chunky. I could deal with that, I guess, but today took the cake. I had to toss it, it was so bad. I thought maybe shaking/blending it then letting it set a bit and shaking it again would help. I was so wrong. All it did was make MORE chunks and it took all the flavor out of those chunks to where it ended up tasting/looking/feeling like tiny chewed up chunks of tastless meat. So, so bad. So I decided to ask for tips on here. I got it from GNC and kept the receipt so I can take it back if I need to. But that one single time that it was so good gives me hope that I'm just doing something wrong that is easily fixable. Today I even tried to just put a bit of water in, then shake it first, then add the rest of the water. nope, not it. HALP!

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Add water/liquid first, then powder.

My experience mixing protein powder with hot liquids (water, coffee, etc.) hasn't been good. Stick with cold or room temperature liquids.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cold water or cold milk? I don't think I could handle a hot protein drink.

Could also be the mix/ball bottle not enough shake power. I had one used it once or twice didn't mix enough for my liking.

• MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I tried drinking it room temp, it was a no go (but better than these nasty chunks today). We don't have ice at work and most of the time by the time I get her someones already used up the cold water reserve in the water tank. I'll try putting in the water first next time though and experiment with temps.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The problem is the protein powder you're using. The mixing method wouldn't matter if it was a decent protein. What kind are you using?

Also, a lot of protein powders will clump in hot liquid even if they don't clump in hot or room temperature liquid. I hear that's a common problem with people that put their protein powder in hot coffee.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    isopure dutch chocolate
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've always had this problem too. I've noticed I don't get clumps when I use a shaker with the wire ball inside when compared to a spoon or blender. It could all be in my head too though, LOL.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking it cold then add a small amount warm water first, add the regular amount of powder, mix or use a blender then build up with cold water. If you are drinking warm, try the opposite: cold first, powder, blender/wireball/spoon then build with hot water
  • johnmverdone
    johnmverdone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a fork or a whisk rather than the blender cups. I make mine with hot coffee since it tastes like a mocha haha. I have to use a fork or whisk to get it smooth otherwise its lumpy and horrid.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have always used water that is as cold as I can get it, that tends to resolve most of the clumping. Also as others have mentioned, adding the liquid first and then the powder so it doesn't stick into the corners and then you get weird volcano eruptions when it detaches, haha.

Also if your blender bottle isn't cutting it and you're able to just use a blender. I know a few people at my work that have little magic bullets just for their post workout that they keep in the common kitchen.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Cheap $14 mixer + cold skim milk.
    You don't need a $79 mixer for protein shakes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders are intended to mix with cold liquids. I have never found one that didn't clump with hot liquid.

Just something to think about - I personally do not find shakes, especially shakes that are just protein powder and water, keep me from getting hungry. If hunger is your issue, you might have better luck adding some protein-based snacks, like hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, jerky, (or nuts which are lower in protein but add in some extra fat for satiety). Everyone's different, but that works better for me. I use protein powder when my day is low on protein but I don't have calories left (or I'm not hungry enough) to eat enough food to get the protein I'm missing.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It's nothing but how you're actually mixing the powder. Any protein powder will mix decently with the right shaker and adding the liquid first. Adding the liquid to the powder causes the powder that contacts with the liquid to get chunky and absorb the liquid resulting in wet balls with chunky dry interiors. Always add the liquid first. Here's what I do. I have a shaker cup that has a screw off container at the bottom for the powder and I put in the liquid first, place the mixer grate in the cup and then add the powder onto the grate. The grate sifts the powder into the liquid as I shake it and it always comes out pretty smooth. I don't like the ball shakers because they never work as well.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    We do have a magic bullet thingy here. I was just digging the blender bottle idea because I can easily take it home and wash it, we don't have a dish washing sink here.

Ok, thanks all! I will try a few of these ideas and see what works best!
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    It's nothing but how you're actually mixing the powder. Any protein powder will mix decently with the right shaker and adding the liquid first. Adding the liquid to the powder causes the powder that contacts with the liquid to get chunky and absorb the liquid resulting in wet balls with chunky dry interiors. Always add the liquid first. Here's what I do. I have a shaker cup that has a screw off container at the bottom for the powder and I put in the liquid first, place the mixer grate in the cup and then add the powder onto the grate. The grate sifts the powder into the liquid as I shake it and it always comes out pretty smooth. I don't like the ball shakers because they never work as well.

I feel like this is exactly what's happening, lol.

I was just trying to save trash/dishes by putting the powder in the blender bottle at home and bringing it with me and adding in the water at work. I'll try bringing the powder in a separate container on Wednesday.

It's just so weird because that one day last week with the hot water blended perfectly and it was the most delicious hot chocolate ever! Maybe there was something in the air that day.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use a breville blend active for my protein shakes, it blends in the bottle so you don't have extra dishes to wash.