(34/m) Need help breaking through 15 month weight loss barrier (started at 392; been stuck at ~280)

Matthewdouglas0
Matthewdouglas0 Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I've (34/m) been using MFP fairly consistently for about 2.5 years now. I'm looking for any advice on how to break through to the next level of weight loss, to lose the last 50 or 60 pounds in order to achieve a healthy weight.

My highest recorded weight was 392 in September of 2013. My goal weight is 210, and I am currently at 270. Starting in about December 2013, I began to track with MFP and shoot for 3,000 calories after figuring I was taking in 4,500 calories without restriction. About 5 months later, in around April 2014, I started lifting weights and doing some cardio at my house. By fall 2014, I joined a gym and I have been regularly working out (3-6 times per week, elevated heart rate for 45+ minutes, through weights and/or cardio equipment) consistently since then, with the exception of fall 2015 (see below). Fall 2014, I was down to about 310-320. I continue to workout, and I think my body composition has changed a good amount (probably BF% of in the 50s down to the low 30%s) from putting on some muscle (maybe 10-30 pounds in the last 2 years).

However, about 6 months later, by Spring/Summer 2015, I had only gone down another 20 or 30 pounds to the 270-280 range, and I have been stuck in that place the last year (see below, which is my weight for the last year):

bbc4kvodot7s.jpg

In fall 2015, as you can see on the chart, I regained about 15 pounds while working full time and being in graduate school, and getting out of the habit of tracking and working out, however, in the last 3-4 months I have started things up again and I feel ready to move on to the next stage of weight loss. The last 4 months, I have been consistently hitting about 2,200 to 2,500 calories per day, and the last month I have consistently hit 2,200 calories with one ~3,800 calorie re-feed day once every two weeks.

At this point, I am not sure whether I should stay at 2,200 calories and hope to continue to lose ~6 pounds per month, or just ratchet down to 2,000 and then maybe 1,800 calories over the next few weeks, and stay at 1,800 calories until I hit 210 pounds (with some re-feed days).

Doing TDEE calculations, it looks like my maintenance TDEE calorie goal at 210 and 20% body fat would be around 2,500 calories, which is, in my mind, very reasonable and something I could have no problem maintaining as long as I keep tracking, working out, and staying active.

So, I am wondering if it would be better to suffer in the short term at ~1,800 calories so that I can hit the area where things will be indefinitely easier at 210, or stay at 2,200, where I am pretty comfortable throughout the day, in a decent mood most of the time, and have energy, but have to wait up to possibly another year before I theoretically hit my goal weight. At this point, any advice or other alternative thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR; I've been working my weight down from 392lbs for the last 2.5 years, and have been stuck around 270-280 for the last 15 months. I would like any advice I can get to break through and get down to my ultimate goal weight of 210lbs.

Replies

• Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't know you or your habits so this will come from my experience and may not be relevant. I would opt for the 2200 and longer time to reach goal. Why? From 2200 to 2500 the difference is little so all that time that you are on deficit will help to solidify your habits (maintenance is another challenge!). Also you can speed it up by adding more intense cardio, if I understood well you count elevated heart rate from lifting as a form of burning calories; I'd separate lifting from cardio and thus do more cardio and if you want to speed up things go for HIIT for example so you'll end up doing more cardio, eating a calorie amount easier to maintain and very similar to your maintenance when you reach your goal and I think probably happier. A year goes by really fast, just lift harder, push your body and not only will you lose but also your body composition will improve compared to now.

Also finally consider that losing the last few pounds is hard, so leaving space to a calorie cut is always prudent. I really believe that losing fat is about having the highest amount of calories that allow you to lose fat in an adequate time frame, it's easier and consistency is key and more important you just never know when you will need to re-adjust; surely you know that by now!

Just be really strict with the calorie balance from the refeed, I have had problems with that in the past, all must fit, especially as the deficit is really small at the very end, everything counts. So TL;DR prepare yourself for the last few pounds, and allow space for modifying calorie intake and/or cardio intensity. For me that means going for the moderate deficit. But you know everyone's different so just try things and find YOUR way.
  • Matthewdouglas0
    Matthewdouglas0 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for the advice. I have also gotten sloppy with the re-feeds (I've only done two over the last month), but it wasn't pretty as far as getting extra fat in there, and some simple carbs. I am going to need to tighten that up, as you suggested. I'm leaning toward staying at 2,200. I think that if I get below that I'll be more tired and crabby.

If I do HIIT in the morning, I'll often get much more hungry than normal, but in the evening, I'm guessing I can swing it.