Can meds put on the weight?

Options
I lost 15 pounds a few years ago and I've been able to keep it off since 2013. I run about 5-6 times a week as well. Earlier this year I got really sick and was put on a daily steroid medication for a month. I had zero appetite during that so my weight plummeted to the point that I was under weight. Plus all those steroids were making me lose my mind and the doctor put me on anti-anxeity meds for a month after that. Started feeling much much better around March and my appetite came back with a vengeance, but my exercise routine all but went away since I lost a bit of stamina for running. Gained 5 pounds and before I knew it it turned into ten! Been running 4 -5 days a week for nearly a month, but the weight is going no where. Been tracking my calories and working out like a beast! What gives?

So my question is... could it be the meds or the dip in routine? My metabolism probably got thrown to the wayside when I quit being so active, along with an increase of food.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So you were gaining weight (up 5 and then 5 more to 10), started exercising (running 4-5 days a week), and now you've stopped gaining weight but aren't losing weight. Your exercise is offsetting the caloric excess that was causing the weight gain. But if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine. Not sure what "thrown to the wayside" means?

Start tracking your food and exercise. Just as jemhh says, tweak as needed. Give yourself a good month of tracking before making any changes. The human body reacts slowly to changes, so just be patient.
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Meds can increases and decrease your hunger and some may even affect metabolism (much less than you'd think), but they cant overcome the power of the almighty calorie. It still comes down to how much you eat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Steroids can cause fairly significant water retention.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was in Wellbutrin and when I went off I gained 30 pounds. It was horrible and I felt like I couldn't control the weight gain. But now that I'm counting calories closely I have lost almost 10.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist. I was on a medication that made me crave sweets and was apparently very known to. I've heard of a lot of women gaining weight from certain hormonal birth control. The only really trustworthy answers you'll get are from a professional.