Real scale or WiiFit scale?

Options
Over the past week of being on this diet, I have been using a WiiFit scale I've had for a few years because I haven't been able to afford a new scale. Yesterday, though, a friend bought me a new scale. I have been weighing every morning to keep myself accountable (which is another topic... I know). So, this morning, I got on my new scale, and I was 10 pounds heavier (after consistently losing 8 pounds the last week). So, I jumped back on the Wii and checked... and I had not gained a thing over the last two days. Just like yesterday.

So... Should I take the new scale back and stick with what I've been using? Or should I start over on the "starting weight" and keep the new scale? Which is more accurate?

Replies

• jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with a new scales I purchased. It was off by 5 pounds. Luckily, I had another one to compare it to. I hate digital scales... I just brought a Dial version. No batteries and nothing to go out of calibration. I used to have a wiifit balance board too but I never trusted it for my weight... I used it more as a reference. If I were you, I'd take the new scale back and then pick up another one. If that one matches the one you returned, you know your Wii has been lying to you. Good luck!
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do you have your WiiFit on carpet? That can throw it off. You need to make sure it's completely level as well.

Personally I would take a dumbbell or a full sack of flour - something with a KNOWN weight - and test them both out. Then do your weighings on the scale that's correct.

But keep the WiiFit anyway for exercising! Reminds me I need to set mine back up :smile:

• CaramJo_Inspired
    CaramJo_Inspired Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    Do you have your WiiFit on carpet? That can throw it off. You need to make sure it's completely level as well.

No. Me and my mom have major allergies, so we don't have carpet. The Wii is always on the level hardwood floor. But it could very well still be off. That's a very good idea to weigh something else with a known weight. Thank you.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Weight is relative. Relative to the time of day, what you're wearing, recent exercise, hydration, etc. IMO, as long as it's consistent it doesn't really matter. Any scale should be on a hard surface and you should try to weight around the same time of day wearing similar clothing probably not more than once a week. It's about tracking relative progress. If you're used to getting on the scale first thing in the morning and get on in the afternoon, it will be different. If you have a scale that over/under estimates, a different scale will show a different number. But who cares as long as it's consistent?
  • DaShumps
    DaShumps Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »

Personally I would take a dumbbell or a full sack of flour - something with a KNOWN weight - and test them both out. Then do your weighings on the scale that's correct.

But keep the WiiFit anyway for exercising! Reminds me I need to set mine back up :smile:

Agree, use a dumbbell or similar object and see if the scale is accurate... You may have to weight yourself first, followed by holding the object :) I have an older scale that only goes up/down by .5 and purchased a new one that reads by .2 and while both seem to be working great, the older one can't detect a 10 lb dumbbell on its own so I had to hold it while checking for accuracy ~ the newer one can register a 3 lb weight by its self, both are digital.
  • DaShumps
    DaShumps Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually will also check on my WiiFit balance board just for the heck of it :smiley: