Lifting can be addictive.

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
Its a shame that at 52 I have never really lifted besides a few curls or machines.
I finally invested in a rack and barbell and setup a weight room. I started doing the stronglifts 5X5 program and amazed at what I can do in just a few weeks. Not even adding supplements yet, just eating healthy with plenty of protein.

I started almost unable to squat the bar and now I look forward to each lifting day and adding 5 lbs each session is perfect.

I know its still light weights but feel so much better every single day.
I love this addiction.

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It's very addictive. I started when I was in High School. I gave up on it for a while because of my back. Now I'm back to the point where all I think about is going to the gym.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, lifting is definitely addictive. You see results and you want more. Increasing weight on a regular basis is empowering and it turns into a lifestyle. Congrats on your recent investment and the healthy lifestyle you are pursuing! Here's to gainz!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Best addiction out there! I get itchy taking more than two days off in a row.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Love it when I read that others discover exactly what makes lifting so satisfying. Congrats!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, lifting is definitely addictive. You see results and you want more. Increasing weight on a regular basis is empowering and it turns into a lifestyle. Congrats on your recent investment and the healthy lifestyle you are pursuing! Here's to gainz!

I totally agree!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes, it is.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lifting causes the release of endorphins, which i believe is home made morphine. Yes its very addictive, i have often felt symptoms of withdrawal when i don't get my lifting in.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Stronglifts tonight after work. I am so excited to get started!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I really wish I could enjoy lifting. I personally find it exceptionally tedious, and as a result I don't do it as often as I should. I'd much rather run.

I also don't like dealing with the meatheads people at my gym. I can never get any lifting in because the weights area is always full of dudes strutting and grunting. (ETA) Maybe if it wasn't so intimidating, I'd be more apt to lift.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at 64, two years ago. I can't get enough of it now. Fighting a shoulder injury right now and it's driving me crazy that I can't do bench press, but I admit to not really missing overhead press....... ;)

Some weeks going to the gym is the highlight of my life......LOL
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Heh - I'm 44 and have lifted since I was 16. I still hate every. stinking. minute. #RatherBeHiking
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    yes, it is.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I guess setting up my own gym is what I needed. I have been a member of gyms for years doing cardio and machines when not a lot of people were in there.
    I am the first to admit I hated my lack of strength and did not want people seeing me struggle balancing just the bar.
    Once I started at home and could care less, doing just the bar and learning the balance made it easy to start adding weights and wanting to add more and more.
    I do stick to the program just to make sure I do not get an injury, but start warming up with just the bar to get in an extra set or two.
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I really don't like running (or most forms of cardio), so I've always avoided exercise. Looking back, I mostly just needed to find something I like. Never would have figured that lifting was that thing that I like! It's a self-challenge, which I am so about!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    I guess setting up my own gym is what I needed. I have been a member of gyms for years doing cardio and machines when not a lot of people were in there.
    I am the first to admit I hated my lack of strength and did not want people seeing me struggle balancing just the bar.
    Once I started at home and could care less, doing just the bar and learning the balance made it easy to start adding weights and wanting to add more and more.
    I do stick to the program just to make sure I do not get an injury, but start warming up with just the bar to get in an extra set or two.

Maybe that's what I need to do... lift at home. It would definitely be less intimidating.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »

Maybe that's what I need to do... lift at home. It would definitely be less intimidating.

You should! Definitely worth it. Learn proper techniques and different lifts and then if/when you want to lift at the gym you'll be confident that you know what you're doing.

It's all about mindset as well. Due to the time of day I go to the gym it's mainly young guys. I could perceive them as strutting and let the grunting and weight dropping get to me or I could ignore them and do my thing. I choose the latter. Bonus: I don't have to share weights since I use much lighter ones than they do. I see them sharing dumbbells or waiting for them to become available.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yep definitely addicting.

Other than a few of the women working with the trainers at my gym, it's definitely mostly men by the free weights. It was a little intimidating at first, but after a few workouts it didn't seem so bad. The men don't care that I'm there and just keep doing their thing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've been working SLs for awhile. There is nothing more satisfying than pulling a deadlift PR! Love it!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, started lifting 2 yrs ago. I'm totally addicted. I quickly realized my Planet Fitness wasn't going to be able to accommodate me for long. I found a power cage & Olympic bar/weights & made a home weight room. I'm in there 5-6 days a week! I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My gym time keeps me sane.