Can I really eat that much?

Options
Today I burnt off nearly 2000 calories. Now as we all know certain foods and exercises have to be guessed with this app. For example I did 5 hours of gardening today. However gardening only can be put down as general. I did a mix of planting and heavy lifting. Worth different calories burnt. So I took this into account and added in rest time. Recording it as 4 hours.

1. Do you agree?

2000 calories in excess of my daily 1550 is an obscene amount of food. Even though I indulged today with a full English I still kept under my daily goal without touching the 2000 extra.

2. In what world could we ever consume that much extra in food? I am so full after my 1550 calories of food!

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How did you calculate the 2000 calorie burn? With mfp, the exercise calories are very overestimated. 2000 is awfully high unless it is yourTDEE.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would not eat back 2000 calories. That seems awfully high. 45 minutes of weight lifting only burns about 180 calories for me. Four hours of heavy lifting would be approximately 960 calories. And you mixed that with planting, which is kneeling on the ground and moving your upper body some? I would personally allow myself some extra calories, if I was hungry, but not 2000.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd be very careful about eating back 2,000 calories. That seems quite excessive.
  • daniellefjacob
    daniellefjacob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What are... Mfp, and tdee? Like I said it's a very rough estimate on calories burnt by just typing in the exercise and the time spent on it. Though we're actually talking 1600 on gardening for 4 hours and the rest in swimming for a half hour. Also if I look at the actually excess limits they say 1,800.

It's a moo point today as I didn't overeat or go over my daily intake goal. So I didn't need the excess.

The questions I'm asking not..would you but could you eat it back?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (don't worry about it at this point).
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    What are... Mfp, and tdee? Like I said it's a very rough estimate on calories burnt by just typing in the exercise and the time spent on it. Though we're actually talking 1600 on gardening for 4 hours and the rest in swimming for a half hour. Also if I look at the actually excess limits they say 1,800.

It's a moo point today as I didn't overeat or go over my daily intake goal. So I didn't need the excess.

Oh, heck ya, I could!!! Cheesecake and alcohol, I could knock that baby out in one "dessert."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

fb79z4wdihl4.png

Oh heck yes. I could easily eat 2,000 calories. Easy peasy. Trying to restrict myself to under 1,400 is the hard part. I wouldn't be here if eating more was hard!
  • daniellefjacob
    Options
    Ok so even if the 1800 is an overestimate because of the lack of app accuracy... the 4 hours of gardening which was in fact 5 hours.. And the half hour swim is a decent amount of exercise for the day, right? I should be proud of myself. But all I can think about is how much I've eaten today.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would never eat back "ALL" of my __ESTIMATED__ calorie burn from exercise.

I count things like gardening, housework, and stuff like that as regular day-to-day operations and never include it in my physical fitness. I just consider it an "EXTRA" burn.

I ONLY count deliberate, planned exercise as exercise. Everything else is (YIKES) icing on the cake.

:smiley:

AND YES, you should be proud of doing ANYTHING that involves moving about... Exercise, housework, gardening, or just going for a walk!!! It sure beats sitting on your butt doing nothing, and it __ALL__ helps!!!

GOOD SHOW!!! BE PROUD!!!
  • daniellefjacob
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This app needs to be realistic! Changes need to be made.

I just worked out that this app says you can burn 7 cals a min gardening. ..... I know from my gym time that I can only burn about 5 cals a min running on the treadmill. Something doesn't add up here.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

fb79z4wdihl4.png

Oh heck yes. I could easily eat 2,000 calories. Easy peasy. Trying to restrict myself to under 1,400 is the hard part. I wouldn't be here if eating more was hard!
    *bows down* Thank you so much for posting the Friends reference!! :lol:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This app needs to be realistic! Changes need to be made.

I just worked out that this app says you can burn 7 cals a min gardening. ..... I know from my gym time that I can only burn about 5 cals a min running on the treadmill. Something doesn't add up here.

That's kind of what people have been saying....

ESTIMATING calories burned for any particular activity is difficult...even more so when it's not actually an exercise activity...you could go to any number of websites and you would likely to get a different number on each one.

Just chalk it up to being an active day...allow yourself to have a little more than you usually would and call it a day.