Need a grammar teacher for this one.

Options
2»

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    They just turned 12.

We actually have a policy at home. If they say either one in front of me, they get a mark. When they get 5 marks, they have to write " It is not correct to say these ones or those ones." 25 times.

The strange part about this to me is that they both finished the year on the distinguished honor roll, and both finished in the top 10 in their grade in Language Arts.

You punish your children for that? Your poor kids.

Well, they were told about 10x each, and they still continued to do it, so yes, I do make them write that out 25x. If telling them that they are incorrect isn't fixing the matter, then I take it to the next step. HOWEVER, I also have a way for them to lose the "marks". If they catch themselves saying those ones, or these ones before they finish saying it, I take off TWO marks. Since we started this, only one of them has had to write it out, and only once. It seems to work. I would hardly call it a punishment. It takes them all of 3 minutes to do. Maybe less.

I'm almost scared to ask how you feel about wire hangers.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    They just turned 12.

We actually have a policy at home. If they say either one in front of me, they get a mark. When they get 5 marks, they have to write " It is not correct to say these ones or those ones." 25 times.

The strange part about this to me is that they both finished the year on the distinguished honor roll, and both finished in the top 10 in their grade in Language Arts.

Well, they were told about 10x each, and they still continued to do it, so yes, I do make them write that out 25x. If telling them that they are incorrect isn't fixing the matter, then I take it to the next step. HOWEVER, I also have a way for them to lose the "marks". If they catch themselves saying those ones, or these ones before they finish saying it, I take off TWO marks. Since we started this, only one of them has had to write it out, and only once. It seems to work. I would hardly call it a punishment. It takes them all of 3 minutes to do. Maybe less.

What a great idea! I like to see parents take a more active role in their kids' educations. Good for you!
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    They just turned 12.

This is not a punishment at all! Hats off to you for trying to help the younger generation learn how to spell & speak properly!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's not grammatically correct, but unfortunately, it's one of those phrases that has become common in American speech. It's like people saying "what it is, is …"

I think the term for these kinds of phrases is colloquialisms. They are not officially, grammatically correct, and they shouldn't be used in writing (unless using it for style or speech in narrative writing), but they've made their way into speech. (And they drive many of us grammar freaks up the wall, lol)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Is the word "ones" starting to lose meaning for anyone else? Yes, mom, you are (again) right. That is incorrect use of these/those. The "ones" is implied, as those (ha) words imply multiple of one thing. The only time you would need to differentiate is when you're speaking of a specific number of something.

i.e.: "Will you bring me some towels?"
    "Which ones?" (someone else broke down why this was right)
    "Those four right there."
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well, I have never published anything, or even tried to, but I write a lot, and I am a stickler for grammar and proper enunciation.

If we don't help educate our kids, who will? Nobody cares more about my kids than I do. As wonderful as most teachers are, at the end of the day, they likely are not thinking about my children and their grammar. I really love most teachers, but they aren't around 24 / 7. And they aren't the people who they will live with when they are adults and can't find a job because they don't speak properly. Any advantage you can give your children is a bonus. I'm not wealthy so I can't give them money, but I can make sure that they have solid education and proper speaking skills.

( I am the OP )
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

What she is doing with her kids is perfectly fine...there is no abuse there, she is teaching them and using goals to reinforce behavior.
    On a side note, do you require a step ladder when dismounting your high horse?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

What she is doing with her kids is perfectly fine...there is no abuse there, she is teaching them and using goals to reinforce behavior.

That I do. But I rarely leave it when judging total strangers online.
  • legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I agree with you. I think she's doing the right thing. Grammar is a LOST ART these days, with all the iPhones and texting. Our kids need to know how to use language correctly: it's part of total literacy.

My kids are younger, but I do correct when they use incorrect grammar, and funnily enough my 8 year old corrected me the other day! I'm a writer (not published, but working on it), so like the OP grammar is important to me. My kids know this, as I'm sure the OP's kids know why the OP is doing it too.