Negative step adjustment query?

Options
I've recently bought a Garmin Vivoactive and started syncing this with mfp. I'm having some problems though. Today I have done 11000 + steps and yet mfp has deducted 195 calories from my calorie allowance. Can anyone help me with this? Do I need to alter my settings in mfp ?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level set to on mfp? If set to active you wont get positive adjustments until you've exceeded that level of activity. Having said this getting calories taken away from over 11,000 steps doesn't sound right either.. Unless you did them early in the day and was sedentary for the whole rest of the day??

Hopefully @shadow2soul will see this, she's very good at explaining this and trouble shooting.
  • janeymast
    janeymast Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to lightly active. I have done the 11,000 steps throughout the day chasing after my 2 year old and walking on the school run. I haven't sat down much at all today. I cant understand how mfp has deducted 195 cals. Hopefully somebody can help. Thanks
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    From the website, go to the exercise diary and click the " i " next to your adjustment.
    or
    From the phone app double tap the adjustment from your diary.

Has MFP deducted 195 calories from your base goal or are you losing 195 exercise calories from the garmin adjustment? (hopefully that's not too confusing...my brain isn't functioning very well due to a headache)
    Example of what I'm asking:
    A) 1500 base goal - 195 = 1305
    or
    B ) Exercise diary:
    Walking XX mins 300 calories
    Garmin Adjustment -195 calories
    105 calories burned from exercise today

When was the last time you synced your device?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Hang tight, someone will be able to help you. usually when these things happen the user has their activity level set too high, but as you're set to lightly active, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

I used to have myself set to lightly active, and always got a couple hundred taken away by the end of the night. But this was because I turned into sloth mode after 5pm. MFP expects you keep up that level of activity til midnight..
  • janeymast
    Options
    Ive clicked on the 'i' next to the adjustment and im still none the wiser. It seems I am losing the 195 cals due to Garmin adjustment. I last synced my device within the last hour. I'm confused how I can be getting 195 deducted when i have done 11326 steps.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    closed diary, can't see. (i) should tell you the Garmin calories are running behind MFP. I would set MFP to sedentary and let the tracker do its thing.
  • janeymast
    Options
    I did also put in that I did 60 mins of walking at a leisurely pace today and I did this manually. Has this messed it all up? Should i not have added anything in manually and let Garmin adjust it all? I'm finding this so frustrating.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    MFP was having issues with the Garmin Sync earlier this month. I'm not sure if it was resolved or not yet.
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/topics/799774-announcements-from-our-tech-team/articles
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Okay, how about this:

What is your MFP calorie goal before exercise?
    What is your selected rate of loss?
    What is your current Garmin calorie burn?
    What time of day is it?
  • shadow2soul
    edited April 2016
    Options
    janeymast wrote: »
    I did also put in that I did 60 mins of walking at a leisurely pace today and I did this manually. Has this messed it all up? Should i not have added anything in manually and let Garmin adjust it all? I'm finding this so frustrating.

I wouldn't have logged anything.
    However since you did, you are losing 195 calories because MFP is estimating that based on your last sync your Garmin calorie burn will be 195 calories less than MFP's estimate at midnight.
    (If you answer my questions in my post above, I can break down the math for you).
  • janeymast
    Options
    MFP calorie goal is 1200 per day.
    Set to lose 2 lbs per week
    Current Garmin active calorie burn is 275 (is this the one you were meaning?)
    It is 23:17
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I think this could be your problem. Either let the garmin do its thing or disconnect the garmin and log your exercise in MFP.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    MFP calorie goal is 1200 per day.
    Set to lose 2 lbs per week
    Current Garmin active calorie burn is 275 (is this the one you were meaning?)
    It is 23:17

No, what's the total calorie burn (not just the active part).
    Okay...umm...that 1200 messes things up a bit. Can you tell me what it said your MFP burn was when you clicked the " i " and including what was included from exercise?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I would set yourself as sedentary, eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories to start, you can tweak this later depending on your weight loss and do not log any step based activities, as your tracker will pick these up.
  • janeymast
    Options
    Its recently synced and now its saying the total calorie burn in Garmin is 2038. I will just get the info for you from clicking the i
  • janeymast
    Options
    2365 is the MFP burn
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

anything added manually should be accompanied by a time period to avoid double counting, that works with Fitbit but can't say about others due to lack of personal experience. Why bother if the thing is clocked already. Without a clock time entry it can't be taken out of the device calories.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    One more thing...what was the calorie burn from the exercise you logged?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Let the Garmon log your steps to here and don't record activities on mfp - the rule of thumb is to log your food on mfp and your activities on your trackers app.