I feel like I'm not doing something right

Options
courtneyallisonatx
courtneyallisonatx Posts: 133 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost 21lbs in 40 days, but to me i feel like i could be losing more. I could be doing more, pushing harder, eating better. I have beat myself up about it and feel so discouraged. Could really use any help or advice anyone would like to give on how to keep myself from being discouraged, even with the great job I've been doing.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I started in January and have only lost 24lbs. Don't beat yourself up. You're doing awesome!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/wk is the maximum recommended weight loss rate for most people. Even allowing for a big initial drop due to water weight, that is a lot.

What calorie level are you trying to eat at per day? 1200 is the lowest recommended for females, and if you are netting less than that and exercising you can be doing yourself a great deal of harm.

• ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    That's a huge amount to have lost already! Well done! :smile: But it's not a race, we didn't gain our weight over night.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Learning to accept yourself and the ups and downs of weight loss will do more for you than anything else right now. What's the point of all this work if you can't enjoy yourself or give yourself proper credit for what you've done?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Ps it took me a year to lose 21lbs and get to goal.....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is something that you're doing wrong: you're being completely unrealistic about what constitutes a healthy rate of loss.

Perfectly said.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There is something that you're doing wrong: you're being completely unrealistic about what constitutes a healthy rate of loss.

Nailed it!
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    2 lbs/wk is the maximum recommended weight loss rate for most people. Even allowing for a big initial drop due to water weight, that is a lot.

What calorie level are you trying to eat at per day? 1200 is the lowest recommended for females, and if you are netting less than that and exercising you can be doing yourself a great deal of harm.

I'm at 1780 calories a day I believe, which is what MFP gave me.
    My diary is open for viewing.

I know what a healthy weight loss is, I'm saying that, in my head, it feels like i should be doing more, working harder, I'm unhappy with my progress and I'm aware that it is ridiculous to be. It's just that mentally I can't help but feel discouraged, as ridiculous of a thing as it sounds.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome job!! I think I'm needing advice from you lol. It looks like you log your food, that is important. Keep going, you are young and beautiful, enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    Seriously?

You don't need to be rude.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I know what a healthy weight loss is, I'm saying that, in my head, it feels like i should be doing more, working harder, I'm unhappy with my progress and I'm aware that it is ridiculous to be. It's just that mentally I can't help but feel discouraged, as ridiculous of a thing as it sounds.

You need to re-evaluate your thinking. I'm assuming you want this to be a life long change not just a quick fix for rapid weight loss. If you don't change your mental attitude you will back here repeatedly trying to lose the same pounds over and over. I know, because I've done that.
  • courtneyallisonatx
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

You need to re-evaluate your thinking. I'm assuming you want this to be a life long change not just a quick fix for rapid weight loss. If you don't change your mental attitude you will back here repeatedly trying to lose the same pounds over and over. I know, because I've done that.

I have no idea where to start with that. I think that's my problem, I've been fat my whole life, dieted on and off and obviously it never sticks. I don't know how to get my mind in the place I need it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

I have no idea where to start with that. I think that's my problem, I've been fat my whole life, dieted on and off and obviously it never sticks. I don't know how to get my mind in the place I need it.

That's the hardest part. And really no one can help you with it because it has to come from you. I've been there. Up, down, up, down...for decades. This time around I got into it quite by accident. Joined a fitness challenge with no intentions of losing weight. Just wanted to be fitter. And the more I did and the more I lost, I thought "this isn't as hard as I always made it out to be" . I can actually really do this. So I am. But it was something I had to figure out myself.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    One of my concerns would be at the rate you are losing is that your skin would be lose and not bounce back if you lose too fast.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

It sounds like you're getting enough to eat and not risking your health. You've lost at an extraordinary rate so far. If you're not feeling hungry or like you're overrestricting, keep it up and if anything know that you have a little room to eat more and lose a little more slowly.

ETA: Don't compare your rate of loss to shows like "The Biggest Loser". Lose at a pace that keeps you healthy and gives you room to enjoy your day-to-day routine.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! That is more than twice as fast as I am going!