leg pain

Options
Lately I have been having really bad pain in my shins when I walk and I have no idea why, I went pit for a walk yesterday and only made it a half mile and had to turn around cause my legs were in so much pain. They don't hurt as Much when I run though.... Makes no sense. Any ideas what to do?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What shoes do you walk in (brand & model)?
  • itschelseabells
    itschelseabells Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    nike, idk i have two pairs, ones a little high and the other is all meshy. I honestly don't know the names...
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Nike is terrible when it comes to shoe support I would try either ASICS or brooks go to an actual running store that has someone who can look at the way you walk and usually the stores have treadmills to try the shoes too
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Im not sure exactly what kind of pain you are having but try some post walking stretches that are specific to the shin area. I usually suggest this to anyone experiencing any kind of discomfort with body parts, see a doctor over advice from people on the net if possible. Someone in the sports medicine field specifically.

Something like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2G5WCJBpps
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    nike, idk i have two pairs, ones a little high and the other is all meshy. I honestly don't know the names...

How old are these shoes? How much walking or how many miles would you say you have done in these? It could just be time for new shoes. It wouldn't hurt to follow some of the above advice on shin splints. The pain is just a symptom of an issue so work on addressing the shin muscles too.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you can try icing your shins too for the inflammation and wearing compression socks when you walk or run.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Well, usually when someone gets shin pain from walking but not running, it's from having tight calves and/or wearing shoes with a raised heel. Most shoes on the market have a raised heel, which isn't anatomically correct for walking. Try walking in skateboard shoes. If you go to a running shoe store, ask for zero-heel shoes. You can run in them too, but watch for Achilles pain, especially uphill. If you get pain, run in shoes with a slight heel until your Achilles adapts.

For tight calves, stretch hourly for 30+ seconds, and right before walking too. :+1:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Also, the way your foot strikes the ground is completely different when you walk and when you run, so if you do both during the same workout you may need to consult a professional at a good shoe store who can help you find proper fitting shoes that work for both walking and running.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You gotta replace shoes often and if you're heavy, you might try swimming instead.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been having really bad pain in my shins when I walk and I have no idea why, I went pit for a walk yesterday and only made it a half mile and had to turn around cause my legs were in so much pain. They don't hurt as Much when I run though.... Makes no sense. Any ideas what to do?

Are you running on a treadmill but walking on asphalt?
  • itschelseabells
    itschelseabells Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    asphalt
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've always gotten shin splits when i walk a lot or run. tryed stretches, warmups, better shoes fitted at a running store, but whether i was thin or fat, i just always get 'em. even when i weighed 104 pounds. maybe i'm a heavy walker. it did help to walk on grass, a harder rubber surface or a padded treadmill, but only to a degree. walking in sand didn't cause them, and it's terrific exercise but is much more effort.

bicycling or exercise biking doesn't cause shin splits, btw.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nike is terrible when it comes to shoe support I would try either ASICS or brooks go to an actual running store that has someone who can look at the way you walk and usually the stores have treadmills to try the shoes too

The individual needs to find shoes that work for them. Can't make blanket statements about any model, let alone brand.