Eye Opening Beginning

Options
kmtoblesky
kmtoblesky Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm Kristi. I've started (just this week) to use MFP to log what I eat. I am in shock at the calories in some of my favorite foods. I'm looking forward to using the app and being more informed and on track.

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It is def. an eye opener when you start to closely track the calories in your food. I was seriously indignant when I realized how little peanut butter is really in two tablespoons. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are looking to build your online support community. :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome ! Its surely a shocker to see how much we where mindlessly consuming before learning how to weigh all our solids and measure liquids. I always thought I was eating one serving of cereal ( I didn't know any better and used measuring cups ! Lmao ) well it turns out I was eating double servings ! Learning how to use this app accurately is certainly an eye opener !
  • kmtoblesky
    kmtoblesky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eating 3,000 calories a day was mind blowing! I mean, I knew it wasn't the healthiest of choices... but when you "put pen to paper" so to speak... it's in your face. My husband recently told me that he's always heard, eat what you want to weigh. Someone told him, if you want to weigh 150, then eat 1,500 calories a day. Now, I'm sure this isn't exact, but it does make you think. Anyway, glad to have support and know others are on this journey as well. :smile:
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Too bad they're just so darn delicious! I knew the native food my fam made weren't the heaaaaaalthiest of choices but sheesh! Luckily I live alone and hate cooking so I don't have to worry about endulging.
  • LosingBattle2016
    LosingBattle2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been amazed to see how difficult it is for me to meet certain nutritional requirements, like fiber, potassium and iron, while staying within my calorie, carb, protein and fat limits. And sugar and sodium are very difficult for me to not go over my limit. But logging it in and taking notice is very helpful as a starting point to revamping my diet plan.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just the calories that opened my eyes, it was the amount I was over eating.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been amazed to see how difficult it is for me to meet certain nutritional requirements, like fiber, potassium and iron, while staying within my calorie, carb, protein and fat limits. And sugar and sodium are very difficult for me to not go over my limit. But logging it in and taking notice is very helpful as a starting point to revamping my diet plan.

A couple things to note: Some MFP food entries are incomplete. I watch iron and find many entries (that I know contain iron) state 0 iron in MFP. Users add food to the database and if it's something they don't track...they don't bother.

Also, watching sugar and sodium. If you've got medical issues, then by all means. But I don't track sugar, because MFP does not even differentiate between added sugar and natural sugars. I'm not going to limit fruit intake...that's got lots of other nutrients too.