Undereating???? PLZ HELP

Hi. Okay so I have recently lost around 20 pounds in the last 6 months just by eating better (&less) and beginning to work out. I now workout at least 5 days a week and I'm 1000% sure I'm under eating but I don't know what to do. I lift weights but not seeing results because of this. I currently burn about 400 calories extra per day (total about 1800-2000) from walking around campus, workouts, etc. but I'm only eating around 1200-1500 per day. PLZ HELP IDK WHAT TO DO. What do I eat??

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2016
    Are you still losing weight? If not-you are not under eating.

Do you weigh all of your food? If not-you are likely eating more than you think.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    if ur in a deficit your not going to gain muscle.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Are you trying to lose more weight, stay at this weight, or gain? Are you trying to build muscle or lose fat? What are your goals, and what is actually happening?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    You say you are sure you are under-eating. How do you know that?
  • ComBrokerCEO
    ComBrokerCEO Posts: 26 Member
    Add a high protein shake into the mix, right before bed. No matter what, just drink it. Go to bed. Gain weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Add a high protein shake into the mix, right before bed. No matter what, just drink it. Go to bed. Gain weight.

What does the right before bed have to do with gaining weight? Eating before going to bed does not automatically cause you to gain weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    https://fitnessblender.com/blog/my-before-and-after-story-how-i-lost-40-lbs-and-beat-my-eating-disorder-

@mivey04 this short video goes beyond your stated concerns but it helped me to understand some things about myself. She talks about OCD and how she worked through that. It is a touching yet positive and hopeful video in my view. She talks about how she was able to increase her calories at the end. She is now 32 but ages 7-23 had some bumps for sure. Again this may not be for you but it helped me better grasp the OCD side of diet and exercise. It is near the very end where she talks about her way of eating now. The text is posted if you do not want to watch the video. The comments from others had some interesting stories/points. At the very bottom of the page she has some free stuff too but I did not look at that.

Best of success.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    If you're "1000%" sure that you're under eating, well, just eat more.
  • pallavnarang92
    pallavnarang92 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    WATER!
    Most of us ignore that and its one of the most important thing to stay hungry and eat more. Strategically drinking water can boost up your metabolism and make you hungry, we can use that window for good results!
  • mivey04
    mivey04 Posts: 7 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Are you trying to lose more weight, stay at this weight, or gain? Are you trying to build muscle or lose fat? What are your goals, and what is actually happening?

I'm trying to gain muscle. And I feel like I am UNDEREATING because I am still losing weight and not gaining muscle. I am also not super hungry in between meals so saying just "eat more" is kinda hard for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    mivey04 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I'm trying to gain muscle. And I feel like I am UNDEREATING because I am still losing weight and not gaining muscle. I am also not super hungry in between meals so saying just "eat more" is kinda hard for me.

Thank you for coming back to clarify. If you are wanting to gain muscle, then I strongly recommend looking at the links Dianne provided. There are plenty of foods that are higher calorie that won't make you feel overfull. I know it can be difficult finding this balance. If you are still consuming "diet" foods like low-calorie salad dressings, or low fat yogurt, changing back to the regular stuff can help.