Strength training exercise for the side of your breasts

Options
This is directed to women but men if you have ideas let me know! I got flab on the side of my body where the breasts and arm pit meet. I been doing back extensions and chests press to help with trying to improve the muscle tone on that area. Any other suggestions out there?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    This is directed to women but men if you have ideas let me know! I got flab on the side of my body where the breasts and arm pit meet. I been doing back extensions and chests press to help with trying to improve the muscle tone on that area. Any other suggestions out there?
    If you're speaking of muscle tone, then flyes, incline presses, and straight arm pullovers are good ones. If you're speaking of trying to get rid of flab, no direct exercising on any part of the body reduces flab (fat and skin).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Options
    Was referring to muscle tone thanks for the tips I will definitely look into that!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Exercises for side boob? Ummm........ I gotta go

*exits thread*
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Options
    Exercises for side boob? Ummm........ I gotta go

*exits thread*

HAHA
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit.
  • ericasturn
    ericasturn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What is an incline press? Thanks for the info........... I have this too and it seems to be hard to tone!! Thanks :wink:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've added 1.75" to my chest with just a few exercises. The only chest work I do are pec flies, flat bench, incline bench, and dips. Make sure to balance it out with a strong back.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You cannot "tone" a muscle, you can make it bigger or smaller. For the pectoral, bench press, dumbbell press (inclines, flat and declines) and flies/cable crossovers are probably the best to grow your pecks. For your muscle to grow efficiently you want to be aiming for 8-12 clean reps trying to isolate and contract the muscle as much as possible. This is the best way to activate sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Trying to work out anatomically what you mean.
    After some deliberation the muscles that come to mind are serratus anterior (line the sides of your ribcage) and pecs major and minor (sit on your chest wall under your breasts with minor also attached to your upper arm).
    The best exercises would probably be those that pull your upper arm, rib cage and shoulder girdle forward e.g. boxing and chest presses (free weights or bar).
    I agree that attempting to tone certain parts of your body is probably a waste of time and it's probably better to concentrate on compound movements which work several muscle groups simultaneously (like deadlift, clean-and-press/clean-and-jerk, lat pulldowns and squats).
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You cannot "tone" a muscle, you can make it bigger or smaller.
    AMEN!
    "Tone" is just the appearance based mainly on BF%.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    AMEN!

I don't know if I understand this or agree with it; I KNOW that my muscles feel harder when I have been lifting weights than what they do when I take a few weeks off. I am not trying to be contrary, I'm just trying to understand because I have heard this "cannot tone" from a few different places across the internet and it goes against what I have experienced, so I figured I'd ask!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    AMEN!

I don't know if I understand this or agree with it; I KNOW that my muscles feel harder when I have been lifting weights than what they do when I take a few weeks off. I am not trying to be contrary, I'm just trying to understand because I have heard this "cannot tone" from a few different places across the internet and it goes against what I have experienced, so I figured I'd ask!

From what I understand basically your muscles are made up of lots of microscopic fibres, you want to break down as many as possible by contracting and stretching the muscle against a certain amount of resistance from different angles (that's why you have several variations of each exercise and hundreds of choices of exercises for most muscles) as the goal is to break down as many fibres. Your body counters this by building up the fibres again stronger which makes your muscle grow so in effect every time you sleep while in a surplus after the gym if you have enough protein, BCAAs and enough rest etc your muscle(s) will grow slightly. But basically you can't do anything to a muscle except make it grow or make it shrink, anything that happens with that is a bi-product (feeling more solid etc is just because it's gotten bigger or fat has been lost from the arm)
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I think the "bend and snap" was made for that.