Doing Boxfit twice a week yet I have put on 17Lbs since 2015

Options
I am looking for some help please, I started doing boxfit in January 2015 its a very tough work out and I do it twice a week plus since Jan 2016 I have been walking my dog all be it a slow pace as she is elderly but I also have a very busy lifestyle always cleaning and running around you could never say I was lazy but somehow I have managed to put on 17Lbs I am furious with myself.
I cook all fresh meals and drink loads of water, I will admit since Dec of last year I have not been as strict on myself as I was previously but is that normal for all that weight to go on??
So I have started back from scratch and if it doesnt work this time I am looking at a gastric band.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Weight management comes mainly from taking control over what you are eating.
    If you are gaining, you are eating more than you need, exercise included.
    Good food quality again is for health, not weight loss. You can eat too much of a good thing.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes I am going to eat smaller portions also and am getting a smaller plate today to eat from, I cook all my own sauces and food and I think maybe because its so nice I eat too much.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Boxfit.
  • trish2016
    Options
    I'm in Ireland so its run by a boxing club here it might be called something else but basically we do kettle bells, running, circuits with weights and then for the last 30 mins we work out on the boxing bag or with pads and a partner, loads of jumping jacks and burpees and lunges.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you've gained 17lbs since January, you're eating around 500 cals over your maintenance per day, hence gaining around a pound per week.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Please do not do the gastric surgery. Just get with the MFP program. Set up your profile, log everything that goes in your mouth accurately & honestly. Stay at or below your calorie goal every day & commit to it for life. It has worked for everyone here. You have everything else in place. I know several people that have done the band thing. All lost weight initially, then not only gained it back but where miserable after. All regretted doing it. Take faith in yourself & do it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating less calories?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Also, crossfit should sue the pants off boxfit
  • trish2016
    Options
    The Boxfit work out is fairly tough it's done by a boxing instructor and he does not let you get away with anything, I think as someone says I am eating too many calories I looked back and 17lbs have gone on since Aug 2015. I gain weight very easily so I should have known, my friend got a the gastric band but I have spoken to her this morning and it cost her 7500.00 euros to get done and she has only lost 2 stone in a year so it's not really worth it I don't think.
    I have entered in 1358 calories here as that is what a nutrition site said to me if I want to lose 2lbs per week so I will stick to that and I am still deciding over whether to go back to my boxfit this evening or try something else.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You must enjoy the Boxfit since you have been doing it for over a year. Why would you quit doing something you enjoy because you gained some weight? Just cut a few cals and the weight will come off. 1358 cals is too low. I would be pretty confident, unless you're a really tiny person, that it is below your BMR. By being so restrictive your setting yourself up for failure. Figure out what your BMR and TDEE are and then cut about 500 cals from your TDEE. That should put you at a 1/2 lb loss per week.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less. Gastric band will be a very temporary solution for you as well, you'll overeat it, and be in the same boat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You must enjoy the Boxfit since you have been doing it for over a year. Why would you quit doing something you enjoy because you gained some weight? Just cut a few cals and the weight will come off. 1358 cals is too low. I would be pretty confident, unless you're a really tiny person, that it is below your BMR. By being so restrictive your setting yourself up for failure. Figure out what your BMR and TDEE are and then cut about 500 cals from your TDEE. That should put you at a 1/2 lb loss per week.

cutting 500 cals from TDEE will result in 1lb per week weight loss.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

cutting 500 cals from TDEE will result in 1lb per week weight loss.

Yes, you are correct. When I wrote I meant to say a 250 calorie cut. Thank you for pointing that out.
  • trish2016
    Options
    I'm not a tiny person build wise I am a weird shape wide shoulders, small waist and large or legs that have quiet alot of muscle on them I used to be in the reserve army and did lots of exercise so was alot fitter but since I left that and got on with life I let myself go.
    I managed yesterday on 1358 calories I was a little hungry going to bed but drank water and was grand, I did boxfit last night and I'm glad I went back as I really enjoyed the class and I feel if I commit this time I will hopefully reach my first goal.
    I agree with you all I was eating far too much calories per day my husband put on a mere 8lbs but he walks alot so that might have helped him, I won't be drinking alcohol either until I make some headway on the weightloss only for my 40th in a few weeks but for me drink has never been an issue with weight as I dont drink during the week and sometimes not even on a weekend its more food with me.
    Here is a pic of me in April as you can see my shape.
    Me.jpg 97.9K
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Can't say I see anything weird about your shape. You look perfectly fine to me.
  • trish2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Can't say I see anything weird about your shape. You look perfectly fine to me.

Thank you very much I meant I am on size on top another on the bottom and generally lose weight in just the top part of me I have noticed my legs are rock hard from the training.
    Thanks for all the advice and information everyone !