Eggs in a basket

Options
lindwalk
lindwalk Posts: 15 Member
I always start my day with "egg whites in a basket". Line a muffin tin with a slice of ham, break an egg into it (or in my case an egg white). Bake at 415 degrees for 15 minutes. I make two and start my morning with 65 calories and 13 grams of protein.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    These are great because they're so versatile. I'd add some chopped, pre-cooked (preferably) roasted vegetables. They also work well for brunch or if serving several people.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is a really good idea. There must be some regional differences, when I hear "eggs in a basket" I think of the dish where you cut a hole in a slice of bread and cook the egg inside. These sound yummy too, I will have to try them!
  • gnarlykickflip
    Options
    Does anyone know a way to do these without ham? I'm trying to eat vegetarian but I would really like to try something like this.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Does anyone know a way to do these without ham? I'm trying to eat vegetarian but I would really like to try something like this.

I saw somewhere on the net, Google/Bing cauliflower nests, using blanched and WELL drained/squeezed cauliflower in the muffin tin before placing the egg and baking. You could, also, shred potatoes (white or sweet) line a muffin tin with the shredded potatoes par-bake them and then add your other ingredients and finish baking. Little potato nests.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options

What about phyllo dough or puff pastry? Depends on your carb intake, I suppose.
  • gnarlykickflip
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I saw somewhere on the net, Google/Bing cauliflower nests, using blanched and WELL drained/squeezed cauliflower in the muffin tin before placing the egg and baking. You could, also, shred potatoes (white or sweet) line a muffin tin with the shredded potatoes par-bake them and then add your other ingredients and finish baking. Little potato nests.
    BZAH10 wrote: »

What about phyllo dough or puff pastry? Depends on your carb intake, I suppose.

good ideas! thanks!
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I've also seen ones where you put uncooked hasbrowns in the cup and kind of mash them into the bottom and around the sides and then put the egg in there and the hashbrowns make the "basket". You can shred your own or use those already prepared kind from Simply Potatoes or something similar.