Wear gloves when lifting weights?

Options
When I started lifting in January, I asked my 16-year-old son if I should buy a pair of gloves. He told me gloves were stupid. (He takes a daily weights class at school and no one there wears them.) I took his advice. At first, I was kind of proud of the calluses. They are a great reminder of my hard work and progress so far. Now, they're really starting to hurt. So my question is, "Do you or don't you wear gloves when lifting, and why or why not?"

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    i do not
    wife probably wishes i did
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't because they slacken grip and I loose tightness and even if you have gloves on, callouses will still develop. Better to manage the thickness of your callouses. An emory board just out the shower can do wonders for those things. If they get to thick, Xacto knife to trim them down and then the emory board.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do not. I found them to be more interfering than helpful. I use chalk, but only for deadlifts.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    No I don't. I don't want them slipping or interfering with my grip. Also, I compete and they are not legal. Sounds like you need to groom your callouses. Just get a nail file or pumice stone and file them down a bit. Your grip may be causing some of the issue as well. Chris Duffin has a video that he talks about callouses and grip on YouTube.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Nope. Liquid chalk (for dead lifts only).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No gloves...learn to grip the bar properly.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    No gloves. Proper grip is part of proper lifting.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad I asked this question! Dead lifts are what are causing the pain. So obviously I'm not using the proper grip. Will spend some time on YouTube this evening. Thanks everyone!
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2016
    Options
    deadlift-grip.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKcaXUi5zIHLdwpy1os_C-3HBVzCn_XTsqGmtz1IDvYNq3mguy

most people have issues because they're trying to "palm" the bar...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do, I hate having rough hands - I can lift like a construction worker - doesn't mean I have to have hands like a construction worker...
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Investigate different grip types and experiment a little - also, consider a mixed grip for dead lifts. Many people find these help.

cs192rt8rdx8.jpg
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    I was wrong, it wasn't a Duffin video. It's Mark Rippetoe.

http://youtu.be/_ZBmiQm4MF4
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    I do, I hate having rough hands - I can lift like a construction worker - doesn't mean I have to have hands like a construction worker...

You shouldn't really have issues if you're gripping the bar properly.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    e2nwh3svf7br.jpeg

I been training for powerlifting for two years and this is the extent of my calluses. I don't have to file them either.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I'll be the lone voice for gloves LOL I started out not wearing them for probably the first 6mo to year of lifting. I got callouses, and like you was pretty proud of them at first. I don't know if it was just fat fingers, small hands, or what but I tried holding the bar as shown in earlier replies and it started tearing my fingers to pieces instead of down on the palm down by the base of the finger. I only use the gloves for Deadlifts as that's the only lift with enough weight to really tear up my hands. Since switching over to wearing gloves, I still have callouses, but they don't build to the point where they tear off like they used to, and I don't get them on my fingers either really.

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and Behcets disease, and if I want to lift, I have to wear gloves. When I go without, my skin flares terribly. I can still have some semi-bad skin flares even with the gloves, but it does help significantly. As far as grip? Not so much…it’s kind of bothersome, but better than being sidelined for weeks because the skin is falling off my hands. If you have skin sensitivity issues, gloves help a lot. If there’s no issue besides callouses (which you do still get with gloves), then you might want to look more into how you’re gripping the bar, as opposed to what to cover your hands with.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves - gives me better grip, the ladies in my life prefer not to be scratched to pieces and if you need calluses for people to know you lift you are doing it wrong.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    deadlift-grip.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKcaXUi5zIHLdwpy1os_C-3HBVzCn_XTsqGmtz1IDvYNq3mguy

most people have issues because they're trying to "palm" the bar...

Dumb question but that must also apply to dumbbells as well?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I also play a lot with kettlebells, mine are all cast iron....Snatching 36lbs of rough cast iron definitely requires gloves - nothing to do with grip there....