What's wrong with eating under 1200?

Options
Since starvation mode doesn't exist, what's wrong with eating less than 1200 calories a day? The only downside I can see is that a person would be hungry, but it will only help with weight loss so why are so many adamant about not eating less than that number?

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Because it is nearly impossible to get all of the nutrients that the body needs consuming less than 1,200 calories per day.
    This.
    Now I did alternate day IF for the weight loss phase and I did do very low calorie days (under 500), BUT-every other day I ate at maintenance level calories, so I was still getting the nutrients my body needed. Factored out over a week's time I was still eating at a deficit that was healthy. Same with 5:2IF-you offset the 2 very low calorie days with 5 higher calorie days.

There's no way doing vlcds back to back, over a long period of time would be healthy.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you suffer at all from even the mildest of acne, poor nutrition by eating too little will make it way way worse due to the drastic hormonal changes your body will undergo from not getting adequate nutrition and energy:)

I experienced that one first hand in my days of starving myself followed by binge eating.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with what ppl have posted. There is nothing wrong if let's say "I'm not hungry today" (and actually not hungry rather than just telling yourself that) and not eating much. But combine that with a day-in/day-out practice of not eating enough? Yea, your body will suffer and you will eventually find that you have no energy, are sick more easily because you have no immunity and sure, eventually you'll be thin, but for what? The cost is just not worth it to most people.

And typically, people can lose weight fairly fast, but it doesn't typically stay off. Then after they buy new clothes etc, they're only more down on themselves when they gain the weight back and then some.

Also, if you really are interested in becoming a nutritionist, please don't take this approach with teaching anything. Its simply not a healthy, sustainable approach for anyone.
  • Kay_Fancy
    Kay_Fancy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you should do some serious research if you want to be a nutritionist some day. It would be extremely bad practice to recommend so few calories to anyone unless they were being medically supervised.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    That being said, if your goal is 1200 a day and occasionally you're just not hungry enough to make that, that's not the end of the world. You're not gonna get gross and die. It's a LONG TERM way-too-low calorie intake that does all these bad things to you.

And to be fair to all our members, some of them are on doctor-prescribed and monitored VLCD's and some others have rare medical conditions that require lower calorie counts, also prescribed by the doctor monitoring that condition. The key words there are DOCTOR and MONITORED. Because a doctor knows that low is dangerous and she needs to watch her patient carefully to ensure no damage is being done.
  • maggiesue0215
    maggiesue0215 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago they used to say if you did note eat enough your metabolism would slow down. Does that still sound correct?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited April 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    A slew of health problems including hair loss. Also losing too fast means you lose more muscle in addition to your fat, so you'll get to your goal weight faster but your body composition will suffer.

And to elaborate on that, what it means is that you'll have lost the weight but still look totally nasty when you get to goal because you've lost a lot of the lovely muscle that makes your body flat and tight and nice-looking.

The real reason to not lose weight too fast: you'll be thin and pretty MINUS the pretty. (grey translucent skin, bland thin hair, weak broken nails, icky teeth and possibly breath, fatigue, possibly depression). Basically all the stuff anorexics suffer from depending on how low you go.

Exactly. I'll never forget the one woman who posted about how she kept eating 800 calories and still hated the fat on her body. She'd keep going through binge and restrict cycles for years. People thought the "fat" was in her head and she finally posted photos; she honestly looked like 120+ pounds even though she was 108 pounds and around 5'1". That's how bad it was.

Geez... there but for the grace of god go I. Thank heavens for MFP.
  • kikuska13
    kikuska13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you eat less your body will start to store fat as energy for your body and that's how you'll end up gaining weight not losing weight
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I remember years ago they used to say if you did note eat enough your metabolism would slow down. Does that still sound correct?

What you're referring to is adaptive thermogenesis, and in starvation trials in one of the M states (possibly Minnesota) in the 50's they starved a bunch of guys for a LONG time and those guys metabolisms slowed down up to a maximum of 40% (though this number is ONLY applicable to horrifyingly low calories mind you, not low as OP is probably thinking) and as soon as they got these guys fed up properly again, their metabolisms returned to normal. You can't permanently damage your metabolism without some SERIOUS *kitten* going on.

ETA: The researchers also made those same guys, while starving them, do hard labor because the whole point of the experiment was to learn how to "fix" people who had undergone this same treatment in concentration camps, where low food intake was paired with hard labor.

ETA2: that 40% number is also heavily disputed because the manner in which they arrived at that number ignored a lot of variables, like the fact that these guys were subconsciously moving less and using less effort in general and that lowers their caloric burns. So take that with a heaping portion of salt.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    kikuska13 wrote: »
    If you eat less your body will start to store fat as energy for your body and that's how you'll end up gaining weight not losing weight

This is not accurate. When you aren't getting enough food, you will move less (sometimes subconsciously without your being conscious of doing it) and that slows weight loss because you aren't moving as much. And even if you ate so little that didn't matter, it would just make your body burn whatever it could to survive. Like organ and muscle tissue. If what you were saying were accurate, no one would starve to death, because the body would "hold onto" fat. It can't do that because the laws of thermodynamics prove that energy can't come from nowhere. Your body gets it by converting matter to energy, that matter is fat and muscle and other tissue. You would cease to produce energy (death) if your body stopped converting it's own mass into energy.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    foxygirl14 wrote: »
    Since starvation mode doesn't exist, what's wrong with eating less than 1200 calories a day? The only downside I can see is that a person would be hungry, but it will only help with weight loss so why are so many adamant about not eating less than that number?

This is relevant to your size, so a 4"2 person could probably get away with eating less then 1200 calories a day.

Stop asking everyone what they think and *kitten* try it. You're not going to die from eating 1200 calories for a week. You'll probably feel like *kitten*, hormones will be all out of wack ... lethargic... tons of things could happen... find out for yourself and come back and let everyone know. I know a guy that eats like 1000 calories a day but he has no muscle mass and weighs like 150-160 lbs and he feels fine.
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Is the general consensus that it's pretty much impossible to meet your nutritional needs on less than that amount?