4 to 6 weeks

Options
Ketzalitzli2
Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
edited April 2016 in Motivation and Support
I had a minor surgery on the 15th (not relating to weight loss or anything like that) and I am now on restrictions for the next 4 to 6 weeks. No physical activity other than walking and I can't go far yet. I'm feeling fine even though I get tired a bit more easily than I had before but the biggest issue is I'm feeling restless and I'm not sure if this is going to derail my weight loss goals. I'm staying optimistic. I was told not to limit my calories too much since I need to heal but I'm still not trying to go buck wild either.

Anyone else have similar experience? Did you gain? Did you maintain? How did you get through a 4 to 6 week restriction?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Although it's difficult to not be active, 4 - 6 weeks is a short time period when you look at the big picture. The most important thing is to let your body heal. Restricting calories may delay or impede that process. Just accurately weigh, measure, and log your food. This shouldn't derail your weight loss at all.

I've been through several surgeries of varying degrees over the years and not being active was the hardest, but no, I didn't gain weight. It also makes you more appreciative of your activity after you heal. Hope you have a quick recovery!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had major surgery on March 1st and was put on no exercise for at least one month. I tried to eat at maintenance level but I totally failed because I overate. I have put on five pounds but so what. No biggie. I have figured what my maintenance calories are and how to reel it back in.

You can do this!!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Remember, weight loss/gain is really tied to diet; the fitness/toning is more reliant on exercise. If your doctor has said don't restrict too much on the calories, eat around maintenance and maybe tweak if you see the weight creeping up consistently (if you're logging accurately). Good luck and speedy recovery!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It will slow things down during this period, but it won't "derail" you unless you let it. Even if it does, there's nothing you can do about it. You have to take care of yourself and get healthy and recover from this procedure. It's just part of life.
  • Ketzalitzli2
    Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to do my best as far as diet is concerned to keep eating well. Its a tad difficult since I am at the mercy of quick and easy meals so I can get off my feet again. But I am doing the portion control and also trying my best to stay around my calorie limit. I still have gained 2lbs but I'm thinking its probably water. Thanks for the support everyone! I needed to hear all that! My biggest issue I'm having right now in week 2 is now that the pain isn't as intense I'm more alert and its so hard not being active and its even more difficult to sleep since I am not doing anything to tire my body out. :o