Certain carbs make me hungry?

Options
Is it me or do carbs make you hungry all the time. Like whenever I eat cereal or oats or muesli or bread or rice I'm always hungry again 3 hours after eating.

Replies

• rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not me... I eat carbs with veggies and protein, and never feel hungry as long as the meal as a whole is nutrient-dense.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    itsLuciaxo wrote: »
    Is it me or do carbs make you hungry all the time. Like whenever I eat cereal or oats or muesli or bread or rice I'm always hungry again 3 hours after eating.

Protein, fat and fiber are filling. These 3 things in different combinations for everyone. Some people can eat fat-free fiberous veggies & stay full, not me. Some people can eat fat-free protein and stay full, not me.

You will need to experiment. Does your muesli contain nuts? A little fat helps me. I make oats with milk to increase the protein count, many people stir in nut butter.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eating cereal and milk for the first meal of the day does make me hungrier 30 minutes later, however once I start eating the eating is on for the day. SO I stay wanting to eat till my last meal of they day.

Rice, bread (I do not eat oats) does not do this to me as much.. But these always have protein with them..

And I always do eat something else 3 hours later anyway so this does not bother me, also because I chose the cereal for breakfast, I already have a protein snack or next meal lined up for later on.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    different people have different responses to carbs -- they just don't satiate me the way protein/fat does, and for that reason I eat a lower carb diet and use more of my calories for fat/protein. I get my carbs from vegies and some low carb fruits (apple, berries, etc) and stay away from other types of carbs as I keep to my calorie macro.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Starchy carbs are the most satiating for me.
    It's a very personal thing so worth experimenting to see what works for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cereal particularly does nothing for me. I could eat a whole small box of cheerios with loads of milk and still eat dinner an hour later, I've done it many a time. Plus one bowl usually leads to another... Some people have problems with pasta, potatoes or donuts, these also affect me, but to a lesser extent.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Low fiber sugary or starchy carbs make me hungry as heck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You really want to eat some fat and protein with your carbs.

But I'd be happy if carbs alone kept me full for 3 hours LOL.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Bananas make me hungrier. When I eat one, I eat it before my meal rather than after like I do with other fruits. Aside from them, most carbs satisfy me.