• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    eat your bcaas in protein.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    To answer your questions.....I'm cutting weight for a muai Thai fight I have in June. I'm behind to make weight so I'm pushing 3 hr training days 6× a week. I feel like the bcaa I'm currently using doesn't really help with recovery.

How much Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine in mg's or g's are in the one you use? These three amino acids are most important for muscle recovery, repair and building(calorie surplus) so take a 2nd scoop if you feel you need it and have the money to spend on it. Most BCAAs products have about 2.5g or 2,500mg of Leucine, 1.5g or 1,500mg for Isoleucine and Valine. This amount can be found in most 1 scoop of protein powders. Now if you cutting and cant spare the calories then yes, use more. They still can be found in abundance in meat, fish, egg, dairy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To answer your questions.....I'm cutting weight for a muai Thai fight I have in June. I'm behind to make weight so I'm pushing 3 hr training days 6× a week. I feel like the bcaa I'm currently using doesn't really help with recovery.

You feel like it doesn't?? Compared to what? I'm assuming compared to some other product...and in which case, switch to that other product. Or is it just compared to how helpful you think it should feel.

TL;DR - I don't understand the data you're using to reach this conclusion.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can get all of their protein from food. Personally, I can not eat enough to consume 200 grams of protein.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Not everyone can get all of their protein from food. Personally, I can not eat enough to consume 200 grams of protein.

Are we talking about protein or BCAAs? Because I agree that it can be tough to hit protein targets without (relatively inexpensive) protein powders. But I think the topic here is specifically BCAAs and their efficacy, value, etc.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

true dat, as a vegetarian ^
  • cgvet37
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Are we talking about protein or BCAAs? Because I agree that it can be tough to hit protein targets without (relatively inexpensive) protein powders. But I think the topic here is specifically BCAAs and their efficacy, value, etc.

I'm refering to those that are saying to get all of your BCAA's from protein (food). I physically can not eat enough food to consume 200 grams of protein per day. So I supplement with BCAA's, as well as protein shakes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I'm refering to those that are saying to get all of your BCAA's from protein (food). I physically can not eat enough food to consume 200 grams of protein per day. So I supplement with BCAA's, as well as protein shakes.

I think the question is more, what do BCAAs specifically provide that a whey isolate can't in regards to hitting protein goals? BCAAs are very expensive, and while many people claim they aid in recovery, I don't know that it's been proven. I'm actually curious how much of that is due to placebo effect. Not to mention that most I see are paired with caffeine, which likely has a bigger impact on how you feel.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I think the question is more, what do BCAAs specifically provide that a whey isolate can't in regards to hitting protein goals? BCAAs are very expensive, and while many people claim they aid in recovery, I don't know that it's been proven. I'm actually curious how much of that is due to placebo effect. Not to mention that most I see are paired with caffeine, which likely has a bigger impact on how you feel.

I can not speak for everyone, I have had positive results supplementing with BCAA's. Both in decreased recovery time, and increase in strength. Compared to before I started supplementing with it. Some people just regurgitate what they read. I have found studies and such, that recommend not to consume whey protein. Same goes for other supplements. There are two heads to every coin.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I just want to point out that they are lactose free, so that's something. As someone who can't just chug a scoop of whey, that's important
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I just want to point out that they are lactose free, so that's something. As someone who can't just chug a scoop of whey, that's important

Ah did not realize they were lactose free. That would make a difference. And considering your milk type products, you're probably used to the lactose free surcharge (BCAAs seem so ridiculously expensive in comparison to protein powder).
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Ah did not realize they were lactose free. That would make a difference. And considering your milk type products, you're probably used to the lactose free surcharge (BCAAs seem so ridiculously expensive in comparison to protein powder).

i know, they are. :( I agree if you can tolerate whey you should go for that and there's no outright reason to drink BCAAs. I have to say though, they also taste pretty good, can be refreshing, and are pretty low in calories. Sometimes it's nice to have the option of upping the aminos in a drink without having to drink a thick creamy whey. I know when i was younger before i was lactose intolerant i wanted to kill myself before having to drink another optimum nutrition's "delicious strawberry". the thought of it... just... ugh.

Anyways, if you have the money for it and want it, i say go for it. Is it necessary? No. Is it the most cost effective? No. But that doesn't stop me from consuming a lot of things in my diet. :wink:
  • cgvet37
    Options

It depends. The protein powder I buy is $25 for 29 servings. The BCAA's I buy is $50 for 65 servings.
  • shadiisshac
    shadiisshac Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Amino energy!!
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I prefer Scivation Extend BCAA's. Great flavor and seem to keep me going strong!

I 2nd that
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It depends. The protein powder I buy is $25 for 29 servings. The BCAA's I buy is $50 for 65 servings.

ummm.....but......i'm not real smart with maths, but those 29 servings of protein powder, assuming industry standard of 25 grams of protein per serving, total 725 grams of protein. the BCAA, once again assuming industry standard, are good for 5 grams per serving times 65....so 325 grams of protein.

$50 for 325 grams of protein vs $29 for 726 grams is.....around 4x more costly for the BCAA, which is what Auddii was saying, no?

and whey isolate is virtually lactose free. most lactose intolerant folks can digest it without issue.