Body building routines...

Options
So check it out, I just did PPLPPLX and PHAT training. Now I'm ready to do something new. I have been lifting heavy for a few months. I get married mid June and am looking for a good program that will get me looking nice. I'm a solid 147 which is a big thing for me. 150 is my goal. But 147 is ok too. So basically, I need some great routines to look through and pick something out. Been lifting 4 years so I'm not a beginner but I'm no pro either. What can you all suggest? Keep lifting heavy? Mid range? Light? Or is there something that has all of that out there? Thank you for helping.

Replies

• diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is NO PERFECT ROUTINE invented, each of us will respond differently to stimuli in training!
    The biggest guys around are Power lifter in the Olympics - they only focus on the basic lifts for competition. The dead lift, squat and bench press! They do l I was reps and hit maximum intensity.
    The most cut and buff guys are Bodybuilders - they do more exercises and focus onrep ranges in the 8 - 12 range.
    The leanest guys are the long distance athletes, think Marathon runners and Tour De France. They pound out massive distance and time regimes and burn fat and cars along with muscle to get to the end of the race.

Do you want maximum mass in the shortest time? Train like a power lifting guy!

That shows you the spectrum of regimes - your choice is to pick what type of training fits your goals. Apart from that, focus on strict form and feel the reps, don't just smash the set as fast and short as you can! Focus on the Eccentric phase of each rep by counting to 3 or 4 on the way DOWN, then blast UP as explosive as you can to get that max effort. Muscle fibre recruitment is the key, that takes time to learn! Don't chop and change from the power lifting staple movements to isolation! The neuromuscular links take time to get locked in, so be patient with getting skills on these lifts before opting for easier lesser movements.

Train the big movements including Pull Ups first till you get some poundages that you can be proud of, say 200 BP, 300 Squat, 400 DL and 25 Pull Ups, and you'll have the physique of your dreams! Look for yourself on the YouTube channels for best execution of the Olympic lifts and you'll progress well and without serious impact or injury to your joints and ligaments.

How's that for help?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good programs... Boring but Big, Greyskull LP, Arnold's Blueprint, etc.

They are all good programs if you're up for them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    HST and PHUL are two solid hypertrophy programs. I usually suggest PHAT as well, but you've done it. Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    diverroboz wrote: »

Do you want maximum mass in the shortest time? Train like a power lifting guy!

I'm going to have to disagree here. Powerlifters are the biggest guys out there because they eat and don't worry about cutting. Many people find that their lean mass gains are much slower on a powerlifting/strength plan than they would be on a hypertrophy plan.

Either way the OP needs to eat to gain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here are a bunch of routines. I suspect you plan on cutting since you want to look nice, but if you want a workout that will make you cry, you can always look at German Body Comp (seriously one of the most exhausting workouts I have even done). It's time under tension training. PHUL is a fairly solid program. The new rules of lifting series is pretty solid as well. Really depends on what you want to achieve outside of looking nice. all programs can do that. Diet will address the ability to cut fat.
  • diverroboz
    diverroboz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread and it appears somewhat contentious, not that that's a bad thing!
    Well done ALL for the input, it proves there is no stupid question!

I agree Powerlifters generally look too bulky, no question, but that LOOK comes only after many years of training, and the sensible trainee in question above would be in no risk of that, LOL!
  • Deweyeast1488
    Deweyeast1488 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot all. I am going to check into all of these and see what I think I need. If not all of it over time. I don't want to "cut" cause I'm skinny as is. I mean, I need size, I look good, I just want to keep it, maybe gain more size. But I hit a plateau and need a new solid program to get me back on track of gaining
  • Deweyeast1488
    Deweyeast1488 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also note I have been doing powerlifting style routines for like half a year now. So I'm looking for a quick break from that.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Perhaps eat at maintenance or slow-bulk to gain size with minimal fat gains? And it's good you have done strength routines previously, you have a solid base to work from. i.e. all things being equal, the guy who reps out 40lbs curls will make significantly more gains vs the guy who reps out 20lbs curls.