how do u weigh your meat?

Options
veliia
veliia Posts: 70 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I bought ground turkey. The pack says its 1lb (16oz) serving size is 4oz so I asumed 1/4 of package weighs 4 oz but no. When i weigh it raw it is way less than one forth of package. Am i supposed to b weighing it raw or cooked??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    I bought ground turkey. The pack says its 1lb (16oz) serving size is 4oz so I asumed 1/4 of package weighs 4 oz but no. When i weigh it raw it is way less than one forth of package. Am i supposed to b weighing it raw or cooked??

Generally, it's raw...when I buy a package of ground beef or whatever and it says it weighs 1 lb, it's always weighed about 1 Lb raw for the whole package.

What's more important however is that you are logging it the way you are weighing it. For the most part, I weigh my meats cooked and if I was going to enter that I would look for a "cooked" option in the database rather than raw.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    meat is always weighed raw. (unless you've bought a precooked meat product, then the weights are for it as received--like a can of tuna)
    It's always hard to estimate volume well. weight is the number you want to believe.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh it raw because it's not going to be cooked the same way every time. It just seems easier to me.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Raw.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always weigh raw. I find it to be more accurate because how much moisture is lost will depend on how you cooked it. Also because I usually add something to it which will also need to be weighed separately.
  • pmendes3
    pmendes3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Weighing raw is the only way to do it for accuracy. Is it possible the package didn't weigh 1lb?
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's possible. You won't know until you weigh it
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Im different. I weigh my meat cooked and use cooked meat entries. I add in any marinade or sauce separately. I'm not eating it raw and the weight changes with cooking.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    as everyone said always raw
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Food packaging always tends to be off.
    I weigh all my packaged meat before cooking as it rarely weighs what the packet says and for calorie dense foods like meat especially important.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Either. There's no right or wrong way.

Just pick the correct database entry and account for oils etc.

Although raw is more accurate, there's not enough in it to make any difference in long term goals.

Also, don't look at package weights and serving sizes, weigh everything yourself.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    so basically you got ripped off?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Raw, unless it specified as cooked.

For example of something specified as cooked, there is bacon I eat that has nutrition facts on the package with a serving of 1 "pan fried slice" and the number of grams. I weigh it after frying and divide the total grams by the labeled grams for 1 slice. I log that number of slices (which might be 1.04 or it might be 0.96 slices, depending on weight).
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I always weigh it raw.

A perfect example. I like my steak rare, my husband likes his medium well. If I put both of our steaks on the grill and the starting weight is 8oz per steak, mine will likely weigh between 7-7.5oz while my husbands will weigh between 6.5-7oz when done cooking due to the different amount of water loss. The calorie count for cooked meat could be off by as much as 50 calories due to how you cook it.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »

I'm different than most people on this. I weigh my meats (or any food I eat) once it is cooked. If I'm not eating it raw then I'm not weighing it raw. Chances are it has been sauteed in something or has been cooked with an oil or something so that is also included in the tracking. I'd rather show an overage of calories consumed than not enough.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    Im different. I weigh my meat cooked and use cooked meat entries. I add in any marinade or sauce separately. I'm not eating it raw and the weight changes with cooking.

Thought I was the only one who did this. :D

I realize there are options for both raw and cooked so I guess you can do either. But the one and only time I will use raw for veggies or meats is if I'm making a soup or stew and I'm using raw of each of them. I can't weigh it after it's cooked so I weigh them raw. That's the one and only time I do it though. When popping a serving of steak, burger or chicken breast on the grill or in the oven then it gets weighed once cooked.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    if I use a raw entry I weigh it raw, if it is cooked I look for a cooked entry. Both are fine, you just have to pick the right entry.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

I'm the same. I know it's technically more accurate to weigh raw, maybe I will have to someday (if my weight stalls and I need more accuracy). But for now I find it easier to find the cooked usda information and then a matching entry in the database.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I heft it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale. You can get really cheap ones. And some foods you may be surprised on how dense they are - pasta for example.