First Half Marathon Walk

Options
Gearing up for my first half marathon walk on June 12! Any advice???

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    @ThickMcRunFast is really good with these questions. Hopefully she'll stop by but if she doesn't, be sure to PM her!

Good luck on your first race!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your 13.1 sticker for your car. They usually sell them there.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    have fun.
    have the right shoes
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I might be getting a little dense in my old age but then you say half marathon walk does that mean you intend walking all or most of it?

If so, I think the usual stuff about wearing comfortable shoes, having clothing which is appropriate for the weather conditions (being cold and wet sucks majorly) and taking on some fluid as necessary will do you well (food intake is less important I think as the intensity of the exercise shouldn't be so great that you risk burning through all your glycogen stores but having a packet of jelly babies to munch on never hurt a soul ;))

Most of all - have fun!
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Keep to the right so those running can easily pass by on the left.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If running some or most get a fanny pack for keys, wallet, a snack and some gummy bears. Don't forget a hat and sunglasses if sunny and maybe sunblock too. If solo headphones and music help. They should have some water stations. It doesn't hurt to drive the route and look at a map to see the water and bathroom stations are. Some are not marked very well so it pays to know the course. I have been to several that only had bathrooms at the start. Most of all have fun and don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with others. Oh, you may want to get some walking or running miles in between now and the half marathon.