Reclaiming Control

I'm finally ready to take an honest look at my calorie intake and add more exercise into my daily routine.

These last few years have been hectic and beyond the realm of normal unpredictability. Since senior year of high-school I have gained nearly 100lbs, (I was 17 that fall). Now, I am 21 and 274lbs. All my life family members, peers and doctors told me I was fat and overweight. That I needed to "slim down" and "exercise more". The thing is, I was a pretty active kid. I'd go for long walks and bike rides, swimming, hiking and skiing depending on the season. I found a picture of myself from EMT camp when I was 15 and about 165lbs; I was a freaking viking! I can't believe that I thought I was fat then.

tumblr_o4ttaj8L561rmbl06o1_500.jpg

This is where I want to get back to. Where I don't have headaches on a daily basis, (medications don't help). Where I go for at least one walk every day. Where I can do a cartwheel without pulling every muscle from my wrist to my ankle. I used to be healthy, but so for long because the number on the scale and my shirt size (L) said I was fat I didn't believe it. I was always taller than my peers (5'8" when that picture was taken).

Anyway, I really need to get serious about losing weight and to do that I have to be honest with myself. Today I bought a pocket diary from the dollar store to log my foods and it was really difficult to be honest about everything that went into my mouth. I did pretty good until the early afternoon, but when 2 o'clock came I was starving and couldn't keep up the day of healthy eating.

I know it's process and right now I am recovering from a 6 mile hike I took on Sunday. It's just discouraging because I don't know how to be hungry. The minute I realize I am, I need to eat. If I ignore I get extremely fatigued of a headache, (if I already had one being hungry just makes it worse). I already drink a lot of water, but still probably not enough,..

So I know that is a lot, but I wanted to introduce myself. If anyone has any tips, they are more than welcome!

~Serena

Replies

• FromFattie2Fittie
    FromFattie2Fittie Posts: 139 Member
    Hi Serena! Thanks for sharing your story. I am 24, and currently 240 :( My goal is 150..I was active as a kid also, but was always bigger than what I should have been. At this point, I am terrified of getting sick and being unhealthy and meds also don't help. I will add you- we can do this :)
  • earthapple
    earthapple Posts: 6 Member
    Hello and thank you for the add~! And you are right, can! :)