How do you track sushi?

Options
I had sushi for lunch. My thought is to just log all the components separately. With all the "fancy" rolls, it's not a matter of a "tuna roll" or "CA roll". I had a green monster roll. So suggestions other than just finding/logging the individual components?

Replies

• justjennnnn
    justjennnnn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use the fancy rolls already in the database, just get as close to the contents as possible. On average an 8 piece roll seems to be about 300 calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I use the fancy rolls already in the database, just get as close to the contents as possible. On average an 8 piece roll seems to be about 300 calories.

Yep!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Really, only 300? When I went out for my birthday I just picked some specialty rolls from a sushi chain and the calories were much higher. I wonder if I over estimated?svj31mpbjpwk.png
  • queenliz99
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »

Really, only 300? When I went out for my birthday I just picked some specialty rolls from a sushi chain and the calories were much higher. I wonder if I over estimated?svj31mpbjpwk.png

You may have or not. It's one night out, you had fun. Right? Do you eat sushi every night? If you do, you had better bring you food scale and try to guess the ratio rice to protein.
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    LOL @queenliz99 I never go out for sushi, especially not all you can eat like I did that night! Our weekly date night is take out Mexican and its still high calorie but not like sushi!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    LOL @queenliz99 I never go out for sushi, especially not all you can eat like I did that night! Our weekly date night is take out Mexican and its still high calorie but not like sushi!
    I with four friends ate at all you can sushi one time and the owner with a very serious look asked if we were done yet. We were all splitting at the seams. I'm sure our photos are hanging in the back room stating not to let us in ever again! Lol
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I with four friends ate at all you can sushi one time and the owner with a very serious look asked if we were done yet. We were all splitting at the seams. I'm sure our photos are hanging in the back room stating not to let us in ever again! Lol

That's hilarious!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I always just totally guess. But I don't have sushi very often (it's been probably 6 months) so accuracy doesn't really matter.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Oh, here I was coming on to tell you that sushi is already in the database, but you're talking about rolls instead of actual sushi (slab of fish on top of a small patty of sticky rice, as in what sushi is in Japan). My bad. :D I've always found that every sushi item I eat is actually already there - I recommend it rather than the rolls everyone goes for. It can be quite pricy, but calorie wise it doesn't pack as much of a punch and I personally find sushi much tastier than rolls.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I usually start here:

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

I also usually eat nigiri and sashimi rather than rolls.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Even the entries that already exist in the database vary tremendously... :neutral:
    I've taken to just logging it all separately: nori, sushi rice, the fish. We don't eat it often though so no big deal either way.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Much like you, I'm not simply eating the basic rolls like a California Roll, unless it's half price sushi night (Mondays). Basically, I just work my bum off when I know we're going out for sushi (or already had it for lunch) and earn those calories. I guess at the calories, so I usually try to earn 1000 calories just to be safe.

It sounds extreme, but my family LOVES sushi, so I had to come up with some way to make it work for me.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    wendsg wrote: »
    Oh, here I was coming on to tell you that sushi is already in the database, but you're talking about rolls instead of actual sushi (slab of fish on top of a small patty of sticky rice, as in what sushi is in Japan).

That's nigiri. Rolls are maki. Both are "actual sushi." ;)

To answer the OP, I use Genji's nutritional info as a guide when eating sushi since they have a huge variety. Most are already in the MFP database, too. I only warn that you may have to increase the serving size by a factor of 1.5 or so. Eg., one roll at a restaurant is often 1.5 Genji rolls, at least that's been my experience when I've gotten take out and weighed it at home.

http://www.genjiweb.com/genji/genji_nutrition.php
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oops. I forgot to add that I would probably log your green monster roll as Genji's "green dragon crunch roll" and add the tempura separately.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Sushi is not that high calorie, unless you get it in tempura like you did. That's where the calories came from - not from the rice or fish

• koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can't really track it with an high degree of accuracy because you never really know what the restaurant is using. You can google your Sushi rolls with my fitnesspal and simply use it as an guess. If you are dieting just avoid sushi all together and focus on losing weight. You can eat all the sushi you want after your you reach an low percentage body fat. Just my thoughts
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Really, only 300?
    If you start throwing in terms like "crunchy" and "tempura" with sauces and toppings they can easily go above 500-600

jen_bush wrote: »
    Sushi is not that high calorie, unless you get it in tempura like you did. That's where the calories came from - not from the rice or fish
    It can be pretty high just from the rice. A roll generally has almost a whole cup of rice. A couple of rolls adds up quickly.

Sashimi is a significantly lower calorie/carb option, and chirashi gives you a bit better control over how much rice you consume. Miso soup is also a good, filling, low calorie option.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    wendsg wrote: »
    Oh, here I was coming on to tell you that sushi is already in the database, but you're talking about rolls instead of actual sushi (slab of fish on top of a small patty of sticky rice, as in what sushi is in Japan). My bad. :D I've always found that every sushi item I eat is actually already there - I recommend it rather than the rolls everyone goes for. It can be quite pricy, but calorie wise it doesn't pack as much of a punch and I personally find sushi much tastier than rolls.

Both the rolls and the nigiri (that you are talking about) are considered sushi. I'd be careful with the nigiri though. I got some the other day and just ate the fish, not the rice, and there was nearly a cup of rice left on my plate, at almost 200 calories per cup, that would be quite the impact on my daily numbers :)

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Really, I just look at my plate and say, meh, that's about 1800 calories and log it.
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the posters. No, I didn't get crunchy or tempera, as I know that's code for "fried" I also don't get anything with cream cheese and yes, I'm trying to loose weight. :smiley:

I'll check out the MF database. The roll, at Red Dragon restaurant, actually had 10 pieces! However I only ate a total of 6 and I was full. Took the rest home and my daughter ate it.

I love sushi, but as many stated, I should stick to Sashimi. I actually has a sashimi and avocado "salad" at a restaurant recently. I knew I was having it and brought my food scale to make sure of how much I was eating!

Thanks everyone for the posts!