Have to have my gall bladder removed

Options
Just lost 45 lbs now have to have surgery. Doctor says I'll have to take a break from the gym. Anyone else have that challenge?

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    When I had that surgery, I was obese and not worried about the gym.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out back in 2005. I had it out on a Thursday and I was back at the mall shopping on Sunday. Obviously you won't be able to do any core work for a while, but you'll be able to walk slowly at first, then get a bit faster a little at a time. Just listen to your body. Don't over do it too quickly.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from gall bladder surgery (done in less than 5 hours from check-in to leaving at a surgery center) , then vacuumed the house same day. Moving wasn't an issue, but be careful with lifting too much weight. First day back at work I had to pick a patient up of the floor. Was not a good feeling.
  • dwatson925
    dwatson925 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I had my gall bladder out back in 2005. I had it out on a Thursday and I was back at the mall shopping on Sunday. Obviously you won't be able to do any core work for a while, but you'll be able to walk slowly at first, then get a bit faster a little at a time. Just listen to your body. Don't over do it too quickly.

Good advice. Just disappointed to have a setback
  • dwatson925
    Options
    I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from gall bladder surgery (done in less than 5 hours from check-in to leaving at a surgery center) , then vacuumed the house same day. Moving wasn't an issue, but be careful with lifting too much weight. First day back at work I had to pick a patient up of the floor. Was not a good feeling.

I hope I feel that good!
  • dwatson925
    Options

Thanks. Good advice. The doctor said to stay away from the gym for a month :(
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    dwatson925 wrote: »

Thanks. Good advice. The doctor said to stay away from the gym for a month :(

My doctor said the same thing but I did go outside to do some walking. The first few days were not all that great and I had to have my little "cough pillow" with me (you'll prob get one, too). Your abdomen will be really sore, just be prepared for that.

I think it was a month to six weeks before I felt good enough to do anything fairly strenuous. So yeah, that sounds about right. Either way, like I said, listen to your body. You're getting cut open and a piece taken out of you. It's nowhere near as invasive as it used to be in the old days but it's still surgery. :)

• rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your surgery will be laparoscopic with no complications. 3-4 tiny incisions glued shut. No stitches! But please do be careful not to over do it the first couple weeks. Also, figuring out what to eat can be challenging for a few months. Best of luck!