Realizing how much you've gained now that you're trying to lose

Options
In my 20's and early 30's, I was a US size 4 or 6 -- sometimes 8 depending on the brand. When I started putting on weight, I kept the clothes figuring at some point I'd lose the weight. Fast forward 15 years, the weight kept creeping up until somehow I'd gained 60 lbs. I thought I hid it pretty well since i pack it in all over rather than just one place and my face, while rounder, still didn't have a double chin. In late October 2015, I saw pictures of myself from a wedding I'd attended and I looked horrible. Since November, I've lost 18.5 lbs--it's slow going this time but sustainable. This past weekend, I decided to get organized and went through my closets and pulled enough clothes to fill 4 giant bags to take to Goodwill. Skirts I used to wear couldn't even fit around my thighs; blouses wouldn't fit across my chest. It was a huge eye opener of how much I've gained over the years. I hated to get rid of the smaller clothing since I keep reading about people who have so much fun buying new and smaller wardrobes, but decided pants and skirts that I wore 15 years ago, wouldn't look good now even if I could fit into them. Has anyone else deluded themselves about how much they'd gained until they started trying to lose weight?

Replies

• bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    not really, but i love love LOVE being able to fit into my old clothes from years ago after months and many more months of hard work . and throwing out all my too-big clothes . happiness, i see you peeking through ! lol
  • tlcs68
    tlcs68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, that happened to me a few years ago. I had gained more than 50lbs. A big event was happening in our family and I knew I had to get the weight off if I wanted to look good in pictures and get healthy. I lost the 50lbs and for the most part, I've kept it off, till this winter and I packed on about 15lbs. I'm working to get that off now. I also got rid of a lot of my smaller clothes, but it's nice shopping for new ones! I had a goal to work towards, and with a lot of support, that helped to keep me motivated. Looking back at pictures when I was at my heaviest, I think, OMG, how can that be?! But, now when I look at pictures of myself, going through this weight loss journey was so worth it! Good luck on your journey! You can do it!
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bbilliethecat: great job getting back in your old clothes. I kept a few things for sentimental purposes. Hopefully in time I can emulate your success by getting into them.

Tlcs68: thanks for the encouragement. It's motivating to read that you've been where I am and managed to get and keep the weight off.
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always been big so the thing for me is realising how big my old clothes were in comparison to what I need now :)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I literally have clothes in every size from 8-18w! Last year, I went through all of them, put them in bins by size, season, and tops or bottoms. I kept almost everything, got rid of a couple garbage bags full that I wouldn't wear again. I have 10 bins of clothes not in my closet. I refuse to give up getting into them or getting rid of them because it's so much money worth of clothes. I think it would feel awesome to get back into some of my own clothes. Plus, now they have vanity sizing, they didn't do that when I bought these.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yup. I will never forget the feeling of seeing the numbers 199 on the scale when I weighed in for the first time at Weight Watchers. That was a huge slap in the face. My ID said 180 because I didn't want to face the reality. Not sure what good that did because the weight is still there even if I chose to ignore it.
  • outspokenbelle
    outspokenbelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yup I truly didn't realize I had gotten so big until I took my "before" pictures.