I'm a substitute teacher and...

Options
I could really use some extra tips on foods to have on hand for easy prep in a pinch just in case I get a last minute call. I usually like to prep ahead, but sometimes I can't. Any snack suggestions would be great too!

Thank you!

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I was day to day subbing I would make up a weeks worth of chicken salads so I could just grab one from the fridge in the morning and go. I used to have veggies and hummus and a protein bar on hand for a snack. I also made sure I had a 32oz bottle of water ready to go. Try to stay away from nuts. There are kids out there who have really bad nut allergies.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Yogurt. Cottage cheese. Fruit. String cheese. I also buy a packaged chicken salad from Costco that comes in single serving containers (and it's actually very good!). I can grab one of those and a piece of flatbread to roll it up in and be out the door. Sargento Balanced Breaks.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    For my husband I cook 5 chicken breasts, add in frozen veggies to the tupperware, and give him a side of noodles or bread. This takes me 2 minutes to put together in the morning, and I cook the chicken whIle I cook Sunday dinner to save time and energy. Then granola bars, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, etc as snacks.

For myself I often do two chicken breasts to divide amongst the week, I also add frozen veggies or a lean cuisine because I love the flavors and ease.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am a full-time teacher, and my advice would be to just food prep for the week on Sunday like the rest of us. If you have five lunches ready to go, you can grab a lunch if you get called to sub. Or you can just eat it at home.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Freeze stuff. Do you have access to a microwave at work?
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I always have salad greens & veggies. Dressing. And, when I cook chicken, shrimp or salmon I make extra and freeze it individually so it's ready to pull out for lunch. It defrosts before noon for me. Just have to make sure you have good containers to carry it.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I am a full-time teacher, and my advice would be to just food prep for the week on Sunday like the rest of us. If you have five lunches ready to go, you can grab a lunch if you get called to sub. Or you can just eat it at home.

This is exactly what I do. 5 Pb&j sandwiches made on Sunday for the week, with pretzels and cookies in baggies, all in a gallon freezer bag in the freezer. It saves me maybe 5 minutes in the am when I'm getting ready, which is 5 min I can use to do something else. I open the door, grab one of each, grab an apple from the fridge, put them all in a plastic grocery bag, and then put that in my backpack.