How to find a dog sitter ?

Options
zoeysasha37
zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
I'm having a hard time finding someone that will come to my house and care for my dogs. I have a Rottweiler that nips ( just little tiny nips that break the skin a little bit. Nothing too crazy ) and a frenchie that also gets a little nippy with strangers. They are both aggressive towards other animals and require a special homemade food. They have a grain allergy and a poultry allergy and also won't eat regular dog food. ( I batch cook their food and warm it up for them ) before anyone suggests that I put my dogs on a keto diet, I just want to say that won't happen. My dogs gag at the smell of coconut oil slick coffee and love carbs :)
So how would I go about finding a dog sitter ? My family is going on vacation and I doubt the airline will allow me to bring a nipping Rottweiler aboard!

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Go to your Google Search and type in Dog Sitter, plus your location and hit Find.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Go to your Google Search and type in Dog Sitter, plus your location and hit Find.

I tried this. Sadly nobody will agree to it because my Rottweiler bites. They said she would have to be crated and muzzled the whole Time. So I think I'm going to just see if they will allow me to fly with her
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the kindest way possible, but neither of those dogs sound like an ideal dog for pet sitting or boarding. There's way too much liability there. I highly doubt you'll find anyone other than a close friend to care for them. The nipping (or biting as everyone else will see it) and your use of the word "aggressive" are both huge red flags. That's without even getting into the dietary needs. I'm a huge, huge dog lover (and fellow Rottweiler owner) and there's no way I'd agree to pet sit two dogs like that. I'd be terrified to alone with them if the owner wasn't there.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I mean this in the kindest way possible, but neither of those dogs sound like an ideal dog for pet sitting or boarding. There's way too much liability there. I highly doubt you'll find anyone other than a close friend to care for them. The nipping (or biting as everyone else will see it) and your use of the word "aggressive" are both huge red flags. That's without even getting into the dietary needs. I'm a huge, huge dog lover (and fellow Rottweiler owner) and there's no way I'd agree to pet sit two dogs like that. I'd be terrified to alone with them if the owner wasn't there.

Thanks I understand completely. Hopefully someone I know will watch them .
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some dietary changes would help them settle down a bit. What about high carb, since you seem to oppose keto?
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Perhaps some dietary changes would help them settle down a bit. What about high carb, since you seem to oppose keto?

Yes high carb is a wonderful idea , its worked well for me . The thought of a keto diet for myself or my dogs is enough to make me gag.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yes high carb is a wonderful idea , its worked well for me . The thought of a keto diet for myself or my dogs is enough to make me gag.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    www.thumbtack.com
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    www.thumbtack.com

I'm a too much of a wuss to click on the link . I'm on my work PC and the it guys already warned me about the sites I've recently visited :)

And no, they where not pics of low carber coconut coffee . although that's disgusting, these sites where even worse then that.
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    www.thumbtack.com

I'm a too much of a wuss to click on the link . I'm on my work PC and the it guys already warned me about the sites I've recently visited :)

And no, they where not pics of low carber coconut coffee . although that's disgusting, these sites where even worse then that.

Suit yourself. You asked how to find a dog sitter and I gave you a suggestion.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    www.thumbtack.com

Suit yourself. You asked how to find a dog sitter and I gave you a suggestion.

Ok I will click on it when I get home ! ( just in case its naughty !lol ) thank you ! ( I really truly do need a dog sitter 100% )
  • GirlOnFire319
    GirlOnFire319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try www.care.com
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    www.thumbtack.com

I was hesitant to check the link too. It's SFW. :smile:
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    dogvacay.com or rover.com - Both sites have certified dog sitters. Maybe you will find someone near you who is willing to watch them.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No offence but you should teach your dogs to be less agressive and also les pamperd lol

By the way i would suggest you leave them 2 big bags of dried food open and and maybe ask your naighbors or friends to check in on them like every other day thats what we used to do its fine the worst thing that can happen to a dog is that itll get bored
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »
    No offence but you should teach your dogs to be less agressive and also les pamperd lol

By the way i would suggest you leave them 2 big bags of dried food open and and maybe ask your naighbors or friends to check in on them like every other day thats what we used to do its fine the worst thing that can happen to a dog is that itll get bored

Uhhh... where do they crap?
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You dont have them potty trained? Their inside dogs? Oh man lol srry your in a really bad position. than may be you could pay a nease or nephew to do it young people are always looking for moneyq1oew4ppc3w2.gif
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Check out www.petsitters.org

They have certified pet sitters there. Maybe you can find one that's comfortable with larger dogs. I used to have a large Rottie too and we had to have a friend stay with him because he didn't like strangers.

I would also recommend dog training, even if your dog is a bit older. It made a huge difference with that dog and the Rottie we rescued later on. Working dogs respond extremely well to training at any age and it can make them much safer to be around. It was actually extremely fun for me and the dog.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love dogs, but this is why I don't have one. Our lifestyle is such that we enjoy a lot of travel and vacation time.

We have a cat. He's a total dlck, but, we can leave for vacation for two weeks and leave him alone. Just fill his feeder and water dispenser. He will eat and drink as he needs it. Totally self-sufficient. Probably could care less that we are gone.

With a dog, however, if you were to fill a dispenser with two weeks of food and a water dispenser, the dog would eat all the food on the first day. Then throw it up all over the carpet. Plss and shlt all over the house and then die of starvation.

When we retire, in a couple of years, we have talked about getting a dog, but, until then, we'll keep the cat, Joey. He tolerates us and we tolerate him and we each go our own way.

Dogs require a lot of commitment. It's not fair of us to have one until we can make a commitment.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    fluffygio wrote: »

This might work for some dogs. Mine are rescues, both with food issues. My one managed to get into the cat food while I was at work one night and ate 3.5lbs of it. The resultant mess that I came home to the following day would have been a challenge after 2 weeks.

I suspect that @thorsmom01 is probably wanting some assurance that someone will be there to comfort them and ensure their base needs are being met. I couldn't ever imagine leaving mine alone for an extended period of time. My cats would get eaten along with half the house.