Maintenance for 18 months ... now want to lose 5 more lbs. Anyone done this? Advice?

Options
I reached a goal weight 18 months ago( 40 lbs. lost), but it was not THE goal weight I originally set. I have maintained successfully/easily for all this time, but am now ready to lose the last 5 lbs. I have cut back from my TDEE (1600-1800) to my weight loss cals (1250+gym cals), and am beginning to see some loss. I am not having trouble doing that and am not hungry at all, and it seems to be working, slowly and steadily. Is there any other way to do this? Has anyone else been on maintenance for a while and then went back to try lose a bit more? How did you do it?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You seem to have it down, no magic way, just adjust your calories and give it a little time!

Done this plenty of times when I gain weight on vacation, etc..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I nibbled a few extra pounds down from my original goal in a series of maintenance and dieting steps but mostly at a very slow rate of weight loss as retention of muscle mass plus gym/cycling performance is important to me.

At the moment I'm doing a short but more severe cut to get down to my "cycling weight". There's only 14lbs difference between what was originally my goal weight and my lowest weight and 21 months between the two end points.

Really either slow / long duration or faster / short duration cuts are fine so very much personal choice and how it works for you in terms of adherence. I prefer dieting in an uneven way with days at maintenance and days with big deficits rather than same every day deficit which bores and frustrates me.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Planning on doing this in a few weeks when the swimming season is starting here.

Will cut back 100 to 150 calories and the rest has to come from the added swimming exercise.

want to go from the 145 range to the 140 lbs range. Just curiosity to see how feel and look around that range. And on my "heavy days" i peak above the 10 lbs and i dont like to see that number it makes me feel uncomfortable.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I did this: I maintained at around 72kg for nearly a year and then decided I really dod want to hit 70kg. It worked, but I think my long-term maintenance will be about 71kg.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Planning on doing this in a few weeks when the swimming season is starting here.

Will cut back 100 to 150 calories and the rest has to come from the added swimming exercise.

want to go from the 145 range to the 140 lbs range. Just curiosity to see how feel and look around that range. And on my "heavy days" i peak above the 10 lbs and i dont like to see that number it makes me feel uncomfortable.

must be 150 lbs

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    You seem to have it down, no magic way, just adjust your calories and give it a little time! Done this plenty of times when I gain weight on vacation, etc..

This is very helpful. I figure getting these few pounds off will take quite a while. I am short and older to begin with, both of which usually make the loss a lot more difficult not to mention that these 5 lbs. have been on me the longest of any. However, I am fine doing 1250+gym cals and not in any hurry.