What was the main thing you did to help you lose the weight?

Options
What was the main contributor that helped you lose the weight you did? I am looking to readjust things for myself. I would love to hear some insight from the MFP community :) thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Finding a way to adhere to the correct calorie balance over an extended period of time.

For me that was 5:2 intermittent fasting on the Calories In part and a whole load of exercise on the Calories Out part so I could maintain a reasonable deficit whilst still eating plenty of food over the course of a week.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Measuring my food and significantly lowering my carb intake for medical reasons. I'd never had to eat low carb before, but once I realized they were the X factor in my struggle to lose, it changed everything.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories and eating at a deficit. I have not restricted anything except calories. I sometimes choose not to eat certain things if the calorie count is too high, but if I really want something I make it fit. I do measure almost all of my food but I also eat out usually once or twice a week and so I have to guesstimate on that. I have also started walking every day. But that is more because I am trying to be more fit and not just lose weight. Eating at a deficit has been the key for me.
  • DejahVoodoo
    DejahVoodoo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Weighing my food. Everything else (like exercise, steering clear of certain foods I didn't NEED, but wanted) was a bonus. Weighing the food was the number one contributor to weight loss. It just made it so much more accurate.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My biggest strategy is to not make it complicated. I don't need new food, I don't need anything fancy or expensive.
    And of course patience and a dash of self acceptance. I accept that this is my body but it has control of how it lets the weight go, it decides when. I can control what goes into my body and how much I move but I don't get to decide how quickly the fat goes away. That helps.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Changed up my food to more nutrient dense options, moved more and cut out Starbucks Caramel Macchiatos.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bought and used a food scale with correct entries.

I went from losing 1/2lb a week to 1lb a week instantly after using the food scale...

even now I use it...3 years later.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Plan what I'd eat each day and stick to it. Avoid "extra" food. Our office is a pitfall of extra goodies so my main rule was "no work free food".