Really need some help

Options
Hi I'm Amanda. I've been a member on here for 6 weeks.
I'm 5ft currently 13st 5lb and aged 39. MFP as me on 1310 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. I put myself down as sedentary as my daily activity changes, sometimes I'm able to get the gym other days I'm stuck home as I have a child with learning difficulties. I have a digital scale and check and recheck everything I eat, I only drink water around 4-5 pints per day. At 13st 5lb I thought being on low calories a day my weight would shift a little but I've been stuck at the 13st 5lb for 6 weeks. I used to weigh 15st 7lb 3 years ago but the breakdown of my relationship caused that weight loss.
I'm constantly online looking at what my BMR TDEE and macros should be but each website says something different so it just confuses me more. I spoke to a trainer at my gym who said my TDEE is 1595 and I need to drop 500 for a 1lb loss, he set my macros to 20% carbs which I really struggled with as I really enjoy having porridge for my breakfast which didn't leave much room for other carbs. Every information I'm given contradicts the other. It's making me miserable as I'm spending day after day trying to fit my cals and macro % and I'm getting nowhere.
Would love to hear from people who could give just give me the plain simple truth, do I need to bother about macro % will exercise help along side the calorie deficit do I need to drop below my TDEE but above my BMR.
I really want to make a lifestyle change not just drop loads of calories the weigh drops of then it returns again.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it. Estimates for BMR/TDEE are just estimates to get you into the ballpark; the real numbers have to be measured by expensive equipment, or extrapolated through accurate measuring of food intake and body weight over time. It's not even very important at this stage, you don'r even need to exercise, what you need is a consistent calorie deficit. You don't need to adjust your macro settings, you need to stick to your calorie goal. Weight yourself regularly too, and under similar circumstances.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it. Estimates for BMR/TDEE are just estimates to get you into the ballpark; the real numbers have to be measured by expensive equipment, or extrapolated through accurate measuring of food intake and body weight over time. It's not even very important at this stage, you don'r even need to exercise, what you need is a consistent calorie deficit. You don't need to adjust your macro settings, you need to stick to your calorie goal. Weight yourself regularly too, and under similar circumstances.

Thank you. I will just stick with the 1310 calories that MFP gave me, ignore the % and keep at it for a few more weeks xx
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you're accurately weighing and figuring out the percentages of what you're eating, you may have a couple incorrect database entries that you're using regularly for your food. i've seen several that were literally over 200 calories off according to the manufacturer labeling.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options
    if you're accurately weighing and figuring out the percentages of what you're eating, you may have a couple incorrect database entries that you're using regularly for your food. i've seen several that were literally over 200 calories off according to the manufacturer labeling.

I scan all foods I eat and drink, even if the package says 100g I will weigh to confirm. If I eat out I go off the nutritional info on the website but you never really know how much your actually eating so I will try cut down on this and add 10% on top as recommended.
    I need to just relax, log my foods, and stay in my deficit. Xx
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I scan all foods I eat and drink, even if the package says 100g I will weigh to confirm. If I eat out I go off the nutritional info on the website but you never really know how much your actually eating so I will try cut down on this and add 10% on top as recommended.
    I need to just relax, log my foods, and stay in my deficit. Xx

Even if you're scanning, it can pull up incorrect entries from the database. It might be worth doing a double-check on some of the foods you eat frequently.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would stick to what MFP has given you at this point and tweak from there if need be. Macros don't matter for weight loss, although a lot of people recommend getting in enough protein so you don't lose too much muscle as you lose fat. But you can still get plenty of protein in without cutting your carbs way back. Personally I would never cut carbs too much, as I enjoy them. I have been the most successful in eating the foods I enjoy in moderation, within my calorie limit. If it's not a change I think I could make for the rest of my life, it seems pointless to do it temporarily.
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You really need to simplify! Calories in, calories out. And the porridge will add pounds, especially every morning. When I reduced bad carbs the weight fell off. Also long walks with your child if he's in a chair would be a great habit.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You really need to simplify! Calories in, calories out. And the porridge will add pounds, especially every morning. When I reduced bad carbs the weight fell off. Also long walks with your child if he's in a chair would be a great habit.

FIFY

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Jeffrey, no such things as bad carbs! Too many calories is a problem, however.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options

q9d4a7avgs4u.png

So these porridge oats could hinder my weight loss????
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

q9d4a7avgs4u.png

Nonsense, eat that porridge. I have oatmeal almost every morning and it has never hindered my weight loss.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options

q9d4a7avgs4u.png

Absolutely not. You can eat those oats for breakfast everyday and as long as you're still in a deficit you'll lose.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options
    Thank you xx
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    NO, the porridge is fine as long as you are within your calorie goal. The statement that the carbs will add weight is completely false. Pay no attention to it.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

q9d4a7avgs4u.png

No! He's wrong. I eat oatmeal several times per week and I consistently lose weight. That porridge entry looks correct compared to the oatmeal entry I use. I had oatmeal this morning and it was delicious and filling. My diary is open if you want to take a look.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice xx
  • Evelinejedwab
    Evelinejedwab Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday. It's healthy and filling and no way it packs on the pounds; If you stick to your total calories there absolutely nothing wrong with it; But only 20% carbs seems
    little to me. Eat enough veg and a little fruit and stay clear of the sugar. And don't forget the healthy fats, I eat 1/2 avocado each day, it's good for weight loss believe me.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday. It's healthy and filling and no way it packs on the pounds; If you stick to your total calories there absolutely nothing wrong with it; But only 20% carbs seems
    little to me. Eat enough veg and a little fruit and stay clear of the sugar. And don't forget the healthy fats, I eat 1/2 avocado each day, it's good for weight loss believe me.

No reason to stay clear of sugar unless you have a diagnosed medical condition, such as pre-diabetes. Also, avocados are good fats, but not necessarily "good for weight loss." A calorie deficit is good for weight loss.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    Options
    I don't like avocado anyway, I try to get my fats from nuts, seeds, fish, eggs and olive oil xxx