Has anyone adjusted their Macros?

Options
I got different daily goals when I used a calculator on bodybuilding.com (for the weight loss setting, not muscle gain). Wondering if I should adjust my daily macro goals away from what MFP suggest? Specifically referring to carbs, fat, and protein.

Some backstory would be, I'm not reaching weight loss goals. Slimming, but not moving the scale. Just looking for some advice if you happen to know anything about adjusting the macros.

Replies

• kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight, it has nothing to do with your macro ratios. Lots of people adjust their macros for different reasons. Many people increase their protein intake, as it helps to maintain muscle when losing weight. Some people prefer low carb.

Macros have nothing to do with weight loss, however. If you are not losing weight you need to adjust your calorie intake - either lower your goal, or tighten up your logging.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Please see here for some information.
    This is in a forum group that I run on MFP, and please feel welcome to dig around for other posts you may find helpful.

Let me know if you have questions:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fat, and protein ARE the macronutrients ;) You don't have to mess with that unless you are hungry or tired while eating the right amount of calories.

Calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. Have that in check forst - set a goal appropriate for your weight and height, weigh everything you eat/drink on a digital food scale, log accurately (check every entry first w/ package/USDA) and consistently (no "cheating"), and weigh yourself regularly and under similar conditions (same amount of clothes, same time of day etc). Be patient, as weight loss won't follow a straight line (due to completely normal water weight fluctuations).

If you are getting thinner and feel fine, you are doing great, no matter what the scale says.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fat, and protein ARE the macronutrients ;) You don't have to mess with that unless you are hungry or tired while eating the right amount of calories.

Calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. Have that in check forst - set a goal appropriate for your weight and height, weigh everything you eat/drink on a digital food scale, log accurately (check every entry first w/ package/USDA) and consistently (no "cheating"), and weigh yourself regularly and under similar conditions (same amount of clothes, same time of day etc). Be patient, as weight loss won't follow a straight line (due to completely normal water weight fluctuations).

If you are getting thinner and feel fine, you are doing great, no matter what the scale says.

I appreciate this post.

I'd only interject with this --- MFP's default protein recommendations are quite low in my opinion. Most people would improve satiety and skeletal muscle retention by consuming more than MFP's default recommendations for protein.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I got different daily goals when I used a calculator on bodybuilding.com (for the weight loss setting, not muscle gain). Wondering if I should adjust my daily macro goals away from what MFP suggest? Specifically referring to carbs, fat, and protein.

Some backstory would be, I'm not reaching weight loss goals. Slimming, but not moving the scale. Just looking for some advice if you happen to know anything about adjusting the macros.

I think MFP starts you a little low on protein. If you wanted to increase that you are probably fine too.

On the other hand I'm quite certain bodybuilding.com likely gave you an excessive protein goal. I typically aim to have my protein somewhere in between the RDA goal and the more excessive protein goal.

I your main goal is to just drop some fat and look good nekkid, then I am relatively confident if you focus on the following you will have success over the long term.
    1. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit for fat loss (Typically somewhere between .5-1.5 lbs per week depending on current BF%)
    2. Engage in activity that causes your body to adapt in positive ways (Strength Training, Fitness Classes, etc.)
    3. Eat a sufficient amount of protein, but don't obsess over it. Somewhere between .5-1.0 lb of bodyweight would likely be sufficient.

If you have loftier or more specific goals, then further refinement may be required.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    I agree with SideSteel. I think you can raise your protein 5-10%. I usually exchange carbs for protein, but you could also lower your fat if you prefer.
  • pattyaeverett
    pattyaeverett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I decided to do what a lot of you suggested, and raise the protein. Also going to be more precise in my food log... tho I feel like I'm accurate despite not having a food scale. Thanks for the replies, all!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I decided to do what a lot of you suggested, and raise the protein. Also going to be more precise in my food log... tho I feel like I'm accurate despite not having a food scale. Thanks for the replies, all!

We all think the same thing. But studies have shown that even trained professionals can be off by as much as 300+ calories. I even thought the way you did, then I got a food scale.. and boy was I wrong. And while it may not be an issue for those who are overweight or obese, the more lean you get, the less room for error you have. And a $15 food scale goes a long way for accuracy.
  • pattyaeverett
    pattyaeverett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    We all think the same thing.

Probably true. I'm going to add it to my amazon cart, see if it helps with my progress.