Anxiety/Depression vs Weight Loss

Options
About a month and 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression and was told by the doctor that losing weight can't be focused on right now because my mental health is my priority.

To boost my mental health as well as physical I've joined a yoga class and a boxercise group at university which has perked me up emotionally and decided to join the university's gym too this week, so I can work out a bit more after my exams are over in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else been told not to focus on weight loss due to mental health?
How have they dealt with both at the same time?
Is it possible that my weight could be linked to the anxiety/depression?

Thanks

Replies

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've never been told by my doctor not to focus on weight loss due to mental health. I do, however, believe that my weight does effect my anxiety. My weight effects my hormones which also effects anxiety. As I lose weight, I see that it definitely makes me more confident, happier, and it does help with my mental health. Sometimes working out helps calm anxiety for me.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    That is awful advice from your doctor.
    Exercise has helped my anxiety, stress and depression.
    Weight loss has helped my self-esteem and depression.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing a counselor for the anxiety and depression, ask his/her opinion of cognitive behavioral therapy. It's the basis of the Beck Diet Solution, which has lots of posts and a group on MFP.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No way. Exercise is great for anxiety and depression. That's why I started.

Now I'm anxious and very blue again but I've been going so hard I'm actually taking a break from exercise. Balance.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    That is awful advice from your doctor.
    Exercise has helped my anxiety, stress and depression.
    Weight loss has helped my self-esteem and depression.

Sure, but if you're so depressed that getting out of bed is a monumental struggle or you have thoughts of suicide then the idea is that you get that handled first as a major priority and then can focus on weight loss.

By all means exercise! I'm sure your doctor meant that he didn't want you spending all your energy to lose weight when it allows your mental health to suffer. I spoke to my doctor both about my depression and weight loss. Together we decided the approach was to make 3 days a week exercise days and work on my portions with a check in scheduled for 3 months ahead. The goal is to see any change at all in my weight and blood work. Doesn't sound like too much does it? Pretty easy actually and having such small and easily attained goals my mental health is absolutely improving.

Yes losing weight is important, your exercise is wonderful and WILL help (you'll notice this as you start taking rest days or missing workouts for scheduling issues). Pay attention to your food choices sure, but your main daily goal and focus is on your mental health.

I definitely let my mental health decline in favor of a strict diet and exercise regime and deeply regret the damage that was caused because of my actions. No need to detail the event but it was life changing and I sure wish it didn't get to that point before I realized I was in trouble. I took one or two months off, just kept getting my steps in every day and read books and started Journaling to get control of my mental health. Alone may not be best for everyone but I did okay and feel good now.
  • nyohmiee
    nyohmiee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it's actually really good to exercise and do yoga when suffering from depression and anxiety, they boost your endorphins and make you generally feel better about yourself. from experience I can say that when you're facing depression there's a lot about your position in life that can affect it - if you're not happy with the weight you are then do something proactive about it and that'll make it easier to look at yourself and be like 'hey look at what I can do' and that really helps :)
    hope you feel better
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor think you are focusing too much on weight and that is contributing to your anxiety and depression? Are you already at a healthy weight and they are concerned about obsessive behavior?

Exercise is an extremely helpful tool in fighting anxiety/depression. Refer your doctor to the book Spark. It's written by an M.D. who recommends, and backs up with studies, exercise as an additional tool to treat many disorders including depression and anxiety.
  • jillajillabobilla
    jillajillabobilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ogmilner wrote: »
    About a month and 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression and was told by the doctor that losing weight can't be focused on right now because my mental health is my priority.

To boost my mental health as well as physical I've joined a yoga class and a boxercise group at university which has perked me up emotionally and decided to join the university's gym too this week, so I can work out a bit more after my exams are over in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else been told not to focus on weight loss due to mental health?
    How have they dealt with both at the same time?
    Is it possible that my weight could be linked to the anxiety/depression?

Thanks

Actually my doctor said to continue my weight loss for a few reasons. She said keeping track of my weight will help me realize when I'm starting to have a depressive episode (I sometimes have a hard time recognizing one coming on until it's too late lol and one of the first signs is becoming lax in my regimen and overeating), having a routine and planning my meals and keeping track of my macros forces me to focus in the present moment instead of getting lost in my head, even if they are for short moments throughout the day, and the steady exercise regime has helped immensely with my moods. Like I can tell a huge difference if I skip a few days. But this is me. Our brains are all different. For people whose depression and anxiety trigger obsessive behaviors in terms of disordered eating, this may be the wrong way to go. Also some people, when newly on meds and working things out might get overwhelmed if they make sudden drastic changes and it may derail them (in weight loss and mental health). Talk with your doctor about doing things in stages. Discuss why it is a concern for them and come up with some ideas that they may agree with or a plan that lets you focus on weight loss in a way that is paces, non stressful, in stages, and in a way that can benefit your anxiety and depression as well. In the meantime keep exercising an eating things that firstly make you feel better physically and mentally, and secondly help with weight loss. You can do both very successfully as long as you make sure to treat yourself with compassion and gently while you are getting used to the changes that are happening.
  • ogmilner
    ogmilner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I think the doctors main reasoning was that I'm under so much pressure as it is with university and placements.

When I went to see him the second time, I was placed on medication. However, my routine was very strict and left me with little to no time to focus on either my mental health or weight (up at 6am, 40 minute walk, placement 8.15am til 4.30pm, 40 minute walk, food around 5.30pm then planning for the next day of placement until about 11pm). This left me having panic attacks and breaking down at home.

Now my main focus is essays and exams, which are stressful as well. However, I have more time to focus on getting myself back on track, hence why I joined the sports groups/gym.

I'm back at the doctors next week for a check up on my progress and then in 3 weeks I'll be done with university for the year so I can really push myself to lose some weight and boost my mental wellbeing.

I'll post an update when I've been to the doctors.

If there's any other exercises/foods that you think could help me please let me know.

Thanks again
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can kind of understand where your doctor is coming from since weight loss can be very consuming, but if you're happy to be going to the gym and doing exercise, then that generally makes people feel better because of endorphins. I guess it depends what the source of your depression and anxiety is, but if negative body image is part of it then I don't see why you can't keep up your weight loss, just not at a detriment to what you're trying to do with your mental health.

I guess it just depends what makes you feel good, while also helping you to get better with your mental health :)