When did you get your rings resized?

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
So I am losing weight slowly, so far there isn't too much change in the scale but my ring is not tight as it was when I first purchased it with my husband last month. Not yet spinning freely, but goes on and off with little resistance.

How many times did your ring size change over the course of your journey? Your total loss amount would be helpful info. I have lost 100lbs before and got down to 220 but never had rings then, now I'm 260 headed for 150 and I'm wondering how long to wait and how many times I can expect to need an adjustment. Thanks!

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'd wait for a while, wear the ring on a chain for a while during. Depending on the ring and its structure, you may not be able to successfully resize it numerous times.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    I'd wait for a while, wear the ring on a chain for a while during. Depending on the ring and its structure, you may not be able to successfully resize it numerous times.

This is why I'm asking at what point others decided to go ahead and get it sized, versus doing it then finding out that 20lbs later would have been a better choice :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go to the jeweler and ask for a ring guard. It is a metal band that fits across the inside of the ring to make it smaller. It is somewhat adjustable so as you continue losing you can make it tighter. Mine cost about $10 each. I don't plan to resize until I get to goal. It is expensive to do and can slightly alter the look of the ring, especially if done multiple times or big size change. I've lost 100+ lbs since I got the guards and they still hold things on fine. Don't risk losing your ring, I've had that happen too!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Or, if you don't want to wear it as a necklace just wear a smaller, thin band with it to hold it on your finger. I have a super thin gold band that I wear with my wedding rings because 1) it's small enough that it's not noticeable and doesn't detract from the other rings and 2) I think it's a rip off to have to PAY to have gold taken off my own ring. I know, it's a skilled, labor intensive job but still I hate to pay extra to have something removed that I paid quite a bit for in the first place. (no offense to jewelers; I realize it's a skill and a business)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've gone from 202.5 to 147. My rings fall off in cool dry weather. I haven't gotten them resized though because when it is hot and humid they fit perfectly (not too tight, not too loose.) I dropped one in a 30 pound bag of dog food and had to dig it out. Almost resized after that but then the next day it was hot and humid and I decided against it.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Mine are very loose but I figured I'll wait until I'm maintaining to get them resized.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Mine are very loose but I figured I'll wait until I'm maintaining to get them resized.

I guess I will do the same, seems like a smart idea. Perhaps I will consider a chain if I get small enough. Problem is at my lowest weight I wasn't in the market so never checked the size of my finger.

Thanks everyone for all your input!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs and am still about 10-20 lbs from my goal weight.
    My ring is looser and comes off easily when I tug it lightly but isn't spinning or falling off my finger. My fingers change size if I am hot or cold or retaining water so some times it is not very loose at all still.
    I would say get a ring guard or wear it on a chain and wait to resize so you only do it once.
    When I got married I had a ring but it got too tight as I gained weight so for several years I didn't wear a ring. Then I got a new bigger one. I can just about wear the old smaller ring. I probably won't get the current ring resized but go back to wearing the first ring. I had simple less expensive rings.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I lost 25 lbs and am still about 10-20 lbs from my goal weight.
    My ring is looser and comes off easily when I tug it lightly but isn't spinning or falling off my finger. My fingers change size if I am hot or cold or retaining water so some times it is not very loose at all still.
    I would say get a ring guard or wear it on a chain and wait to resize so you only do it once.
    When I got married I had a ring but it got too tight as I gained weight so for several years I didn't wear a ring. Then I got a new bigger one. I can just about wear the old smaller ring. I probably won't get the current ring resized but go back to wearing the first ring. I had simple less expensive rings.

Mine is very budget friendly as well :) it was important to me that it not be so expensive my life would be over to lose and have to replace it
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I got my ring resized 2015, from a 7 to a 5, and I'd lost 140# by then. It was an anniversary gift and I felt my fingers weren't going to get any smaller (they're just the essentials now - bone, cartilage, muscle, and skin) I wore it until it got to the point of falling off if I let my hand hang down. I didn't wear it for a few months since I couldn't find a ring guard and I didn't want to muck it up with tape/yarn. It cost $35.

I felt odd getting it resized. This is a "permanent" thing for me, no getting it stretched out if I gain weight.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs and my engagement ring is just starting to get really loose, but then, it was really tight at my highest weight. I'm going to wait until I hit very close to my goal weight to get it resized. I don't want to have to pay for it more than once. At that time I'll also get my engagement and wedding rings fused together. I was so excited to be able to wear them together (at my heaviest I couldn't wear the wedding band), but now they are loose enough that they spin around all over, so I've already put my wedding band aside (again!) until it's time to resize.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had mine resized last summer when I was in the 130's. Bad idea. They are 5 1/2 now (down from 8 or 8 1/2), but I'm probably a 4 1/2 or 4 in size (I have a couple size 5 rings that I bought that are too big now). At my heaviest my rings were too small. They started to fit when I was around 220 lbs, became to loose when I got out of the 200's and I'm about 98 lbs down from when they started to fit (138 lbs down from my heaviest). I thought when I got them resized last summer that my fingers couldn't possibly get any smaller, but I was wrong.