Changed diet drastically few questions

hey allI have a few questions if you don't mind. I am 164 kg and 196 cm tall.
I have started a diet approximately two weeks ago. Before this two weeks started I was eating junk food upon junk food. For three days a week I would buy macdonalds and eat two double quarter pounder meals and I would also get heaps of big packs of potato chips and lollies. For the other four days when the money dried up I just drank about 4 litres of Coke a day and weetbix for my meals.
Now

My diet is

Before breakfast. Cup of noodles 300 calories (I only eat this because I wasn't eating enough)

Breakfast. 6 weetbix 200 ml of light milk
Medium coffee
375 calories

Lunch
100 gram shaved leg ham 103 calories
Multi grain bread 4 slices 280 calories
Light sliced cheese 2 slices 104 calories

Dinner
Battered fish fillets (hake) 476 calories
Frozen chips oven cooked 250 gram 340 calories
Mayonnaise 2 tea spoons 30 calories

Snack
Multi grain corn thins 76 grams
262 calories 12 corn thins
Strawberry jam light 40 calories ( this is my own estimation

Al up it goes up to anywhere between 1900 and 2200. Also I take a multi vitamin and I eat banana apple and oranges daily but I hate all vegetables.

Just wondering if that diet is alright? I usually get 100 grams of protein 230 grams of carbs and 50 grams of fats. I am only having a bowel movement once a week at the moment I'm wondering if that's got anything to do with this drastic change in my diet, and I have very bad fluid retention which I don't know what is causing it. Any help is much appreciated

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    What is a weetbix? Almost afraid to Google.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited April 2016
    Not enough fruits and no vegetables. Do you not cook?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »

It's a breakfast cereal. Weetbix are oblong shaped biscuit looking things. I don't know if there's an American equivalent.

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    if you have fluid retention, there's a good chance that there's lots of sodium in the ham, cheese, chips and fish filets. also maybe the corn thins.
  • pearce8888
    pearce8888 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi all I live in a caravan so don't have many appliances to cook and my fridge is very small. That's why I only cook dinner and my breakfast and lunch have to be fresh
  • pearce8888
    The ham is full of sodium would chicken breast be better
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Try different veggies or in different ways. Eat things you know you should, even if you don't 'want' to. With repetition you'll come to like or at least be able tolerate a greater variety of food. You can even try blending some veggies into a sauce. I used to not 'like' veggies. I was a picky eater. And honestly, many things I didn't 'like' - I had honestly not really tasted/tried. Now a have a better variety of veggies that I eat and have actually found several that I really like.

I'm not going to give you grief for a lot of processed food, but do understand it has high sodium and that can be a problem. Making more from fresh, cooking it yourself, will help. Baking chicken/fish for example. Simple process and you can experiment with different seasonings.
  • pearce8888
    Ok thankyou all I will start cooking breast chicken and keeping it in the fridge.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I would be constipated and retaining water if that were my diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Not enough fruits and no vegetables. Do you not cook?

This^

Fiber is good for your digestion. You are getting some fiber, but not enough.

Also, StaciMarie is right - I can make some awesome homemade "chicken nuggets." Experiment a little and you'll find lots of variety.

Cook veggies many different ways - add seasonings. Eventually you will develop a taste for some of them. Start with really mild veggies - cauliflower maybe. Roasted cauliflower, buffalo spice cauliflower....keep trying new things.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

It's a breakfast cereal. Weetbix are oblong shaped biscuit looking things. I don't know if there's an American equivalent.

Maybe shredded wheat, though it's more like compressed wheat threads while Weetabix looks like compressed wheat flakes.

9ms6vn3aj7wt.jpg

n33axaqppgiq.jpg
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    save the money on multivitamins, and add some fresh produce to your diet. As long as you get a little variety of in your diet, and do some cooking with fresh ingredients, you're likely going to cover all your nutrient needs. You end up pissing away the multivitamins, and that money could instead be improving your eating habits in the first place.

Breakfast: skip the noodles. Chop up banana, apple, berries, pear.. whatever is cheap and fresh, and throw those in your weetbix. Use full fat milk. You've added calories from the into the cereal, and it is more satiating than a bowl of noodles you're eating just to add calories.

Lunch: Make one sandwich with double meat, instead of two sandwiches. Add some mustard and a bit of spinach. Add a piece of fruit or some baby carrots for something crisp to munch on.

Dinner: Cut back on the battered, fried foods. Heat a skillet with a tablespoon of butter, and sear fresh tilapia in there. After three minutes, flip it over, and add some onions, tomatoes, peppers.. whatever you bought with vitamin money. When it's done cooking, throw some spinach in there and let it sweat for half a minute. Plate all this on some quinoa, rice, or noodles.

Delicious, nutritious, and the same (or fewer) calories as your battered, fried hake and frozen chips. You can have this meal done in ten minutes, once you've got a little practice chopping the veggies. That's a few minutes more than you spend waiting for the microwave.

Snack: A half cup of peanuts, lightly salted.

All through the day, drink plenty of water.

Here's the trick to making this change successful: i do my cooking on one day, usually Sunday. That way i only have to make one big grocery trip, with a short "fresh fruit" trip on tuesday or wednesday. Cook everything up on that day, and store it in containers in the freezer. Always keep a couple of prepped meals in the fridge. Once you're done, do the dishes, and you won't need to make a big mess in the kitchen until you prep again.

In your example, i'd make three portions of the fish dinner. I'd make a few portions of a similar dinner with chicken instead, and maybe a few with pork, too. Cook all these up, maybe a little variety in the veggies, and package them.

Your breakfast, lunch, and snacks don't need weekly prep, so you just need to keep enough fresh produce, milk, and sandwich ingredients on hand.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member

Didn't read far enough to see if someone else answered, but weetbix are bigger shredded wheat squares.

OP - you don't have to like vegetables (I grow my own, full disclosure.) but you should eat some anyway. Sugar snap peas, sweet potato, and butternut squash are pretty tasty if you prefer sweet to other flavors.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    pearce8888 wrote: »
    Just wondering if that diet is alright? I usually get 100 grams of protein 230 grams of carbs and 50 grams of fats. I am only having a bowel movement once a week at the moment I'm wondering if that's got anything to do with this drastic change in my diet, and I have very bad fluid retention which I don't know what is causing it. Any help is much appreciated

Your diet definitely seems high in sodium (cup of noodles for breakfast!) and probably lower in fat than your previous fast food diet. Cutting fat suddenly can sometimes cause constipation.

I'm not a clean eater, I say eat what you want within the calories that you need to lose weight. Protein sounds good. More fiber and actually more fat might help you feel better.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Maybe look into getting a slowcooker. I usually will buy a pack of boneless chicken thighs, put them on low for 6 hours and shred them to use in sandwiches and wraps. Saves a lot of prep time for lunches
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Agree with Wonko's recommendations. Make sure you track the fruit. If you're at 2000-2200 not counting fruit, you may be eating too much. Are you working out at all? Calories may be a little high if you're sedentary.