Help! Need to lose the baby weight, but the scale isn't budging!

Options
amanda07425
amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone. I'm 3 months post partum from my first child. I gained about 50 lbs during pregnancy. My pre-pregnancy weight was 145 and I'm currently at 173. I've been counting calories (set MFP to lose 1 lb a week which gave me about 1450 calories) and I've been working out nearly every day since I was cleared at 6 weeks (so for about 6 weeks now). I do Jillian Michael DVDs, T25, and/or run/walk intervals or very long walks.

I have not lost a single lb since I started logging and exercising 6 weeks ago. (FYI, I do NOT breastfeed, my milk never came in even after trying many things by my doctor and a lactation consultant) I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I usually eat back my calories bc what I've looked up that seems to be suggested. I also wear a HRM when I workout to try and get the most accurate info.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Am I eating too much?! It seems like simple math that I should be losing. I would think exercising would take it over the top and help tone but I've been trying on clothes and taking pictures and I haven't seen any changes there either.

Please please help!!!

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi there sweetheart, it's all about the calorie deficit for fat loss. Sometimes the too much cardio makes females too hungry. Focus more on weight lifting for exercise, don't count the exercise burn. The only people who need to worry about exercise burn calories are lean athletes. The Army study proved that starvation mode doesn't happen until under 12% body fat so most people don't need to worry about that either.

Try slightly less calories more consistently, and eat up to your maintenance 1 day a week to keep your hormones stable. Give it 30-90 days. Focus on the food scale not the body weight scale. That's it.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would guess that you are underestimating your intake. Are you weighing all solids, and measuring liquids? If you aren't, then you should invest in a digital scale. They are pretty cheap, and make this process so much easier.

Btw, do eat back exercise calories, just perhaps not all of them.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would guess that you are underestimating your intake. Are you weighing all solids, and measuring liquids? If you aren't, then you should invest in a digital scale. They are pretty cheap, and make this process so much easier.

Btw, do eat back exercise calories, just perhaps not all of them.

This. ^^^ If you aren't weighing your solids and using measuring cups for liquids you are probably eating more than you think.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Consider getting your thyroid checked. Pregnancy can screw it up nicely (it did mine). I wouldn't suggest it normally except your milk didn't come in, and both hypo- and hyperthyroidism can cause lactation problems.

Also, use a food scale.