How many calories does 1 hour of walking burn for a 135 lb female?

Options

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    oneallmama wrote: »
    I guess my next question would be how to find out how fast i'm walking lol...

Speed = distance / time

Easy way: some kind of stop watch and Google maps.

But speed doesn't matter. Weight and distance do.

Speed does matter. It takes more to RUN a mile than to walk a mile (3.5 METS for walking vs 10 for running).

No, speed does not matter. If you are running, you aren't walking...

But walking an 8 min mile burns the same as walking a 20 minute mile.
    Most people can't walk an 8 min mile though.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the awesome responses every one!!! :smile: I'll check out mapometer and use some of the other websites you all mentioned. I asked my husband the other day if I could use our bicycles computer to track my speed and he asked me if I had a wheel to put the sensor on :smiley: and then he just died laughing. I wish there really was something that could accurately track how fast you're going when you walk.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm scouring the internet trying to find a good answer... Some sites say 450, and some say 130. I have no idea. Has anyone tracked this on a heart rate monitor? Thanks in advance!

240 exactly.

/end thread
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I wish there really was something that could accurately track how fast you're going when you walk.

Sorry if I missed something and am stating the obvious but Strava or MapMyFitness apps on your phone (plus a tonne more) will track your speed if you have your phone with you whilst walking/running and you have signal? Link the accounts to MFP and it'll input your calorie burn to your diary automatically.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Speed = distance / time

Speed does matter. It takes more to RUN a mile than to walk a mile (3.5 METS for walking vs 10 for running).

False.

Walking 15min mile (4mph)= 4.9 METS
    Walking 20min mile (3mph)= 3.3 METS
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

MET does increase as pace increases for both walking and running, however for walking the effect is negligible until moving above walking at 5mph, then there is a step change in impact, which is down to mechanical efficiency.

There is a significantly higher MET for running cf walking, and similarly the value increases as pace increases, but the effect isn't all that significant.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Depending on speed, averages to about 150 calories net and 200 gross per hour for a 3 mph walk.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

I love this calculator because it has the option to calculate net calories, calories burned by exercise without the calories you would have burned by doing nothing, in addition to incline.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use the Runtastic app and love it. It tells me how fast I'm walking.
  • sherryshll
    sherryshll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm scouring the internet trying to find a good answer... Some sites say 450, and some say 130. I have no idea. Has anyone tracked this on a heart rate monitor? Thanks in advance!

• sherryshll
    sherryshll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use an app called MapMyWalk. You hit start and it uses a gps system to record how far and how fast you walked. It also syncs with MFP and automatically puts in your calories burned.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

The average is 100 calories per mile according to my nutritionist
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Speed = distance / time

False.

Because MET has time in the denominator, pace doesn't matter. What you posted is a rounding error from being the same per mile, proving my point.

Want further proof? Use the calculator posted in other attempts to refute. Set the walking speed to X and the time to Y. Now set the walking speed to 2X and the time to 0.5Y. The total calories expended are within rounding errors. Also note that the calculator isn't accurate above 4.9 mph, so pick your speed appropriately.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2016
    Options

Speed = distance / time

False.

Because MET has time in the denominator, pace doesn't matter. What you posted is a rounding error from being the same per mile, proving my point.

Want further proof? Use the calculator posted in other attempts to refute. Set the walking speed to X and the time to Y. Now set the walking speed to 2X and the time to 0.5Y. The total calories expended are within rounding errors. Also note that the calculator isn't accurate above 4.9 mph, so pick your speed appropriately.

axhe8e34homo.png

The difference is not very significant, like under 20 calories in most cases, but it's there.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options

Speed = distance / time

False.

axhe8e34homo.png

The difference is not very significant, like under 20 calories in most cases, but it's there.

@amusedmonkey
    What are those numbers based on? I guess the small difference for energy expenditure for running is really just rounding error? Would love to run the same for my weight (57kg)
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Speed = distance / time

False.

axhe8e34homo.png

@amusedmonkey
    What are those numbers based on? I guess the small difference for energy expenditure for running is really just rounding error? Would love to run the same for my weight (57kg)

The values are based on regression formulas adapted by The American College of Sports Medicine in their handbook ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. I don't have the handbook so I can't tell you for sure if there was any rounding. I doubt it's just a rounding error though, else you would have seen jumps up and down in efficiency instead of a slow but steady decline. It looks to be following a curve with a consistent function. That 14 calorie difference between the smallest and the largest running value is just too large to be considered a rounding error.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks a lot. There's not enough data there to adjust for my own weight then. Oh well.. I'm fine with estimates, even though I'm planning a long distance walk with about 40km daily.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Ok, thanks a lot. There's not enough data there to adjust for my own weight then. Oh well.. I'm fine with estimates, even though I'm planning a long distance walk with about 40km daily.

Oh I must have misread you. Yes, those numbers do look rounded.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    There's a website called mapometer which you can use to measure out a route for walking / jogging. That'd give you your distance and you already know your time.

http://gb.mapometer.com

Thanks for this recommendation! I just put my walking route on there and it knows that there's hills and everything!!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here are a couple more sites that you may find useful

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
    I find this gives me an accurate estimate.

http://www.calculator.net/pace-calculator.html?ctype=pace&ctime=01:30:00&cdistance=10&cdistanceunit=Kilometers&cpace=00:08:10&cpaceunit=tpm&printit=0&x=33&y=16

This is a good one for figuring out pace, mph, and kmph.

At 5'1 my race walking pace is close to 4.2 for a 10km, slightly higher for a 5 km.
    I weigh 100 and my burn is about 185 cals per hr.

Cheers, h.