No Carb- Need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree that counting calories is always necessary for weight loss
    I think ideally you get to a point where your hunger is under control and you don't overeat naturally. If you are eating foods that are satiating that is much easier (protein, fat, etc). Calorie counting is kind of a useful tool while you are trying to get there. It can also help you figure out where you're going wrong...
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been on a LOW carb diet (20 a day) and have been losing well on it, but nuts and seeds have an appreciable amount of carbs, and cheese even has some carbs. You may be eating way more carbs than you think you are. And even though a calorie is not just a calorie, they do count. I eat 1200 calories a day. You could eat more than that and lose if you exercise a lot.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note:

Low carbing (keto) depletes glycogen stores. So IF one decides to eat an ample amount, weight will invariably sky rocket due to glycogen being reintroduced to the cells and the need of water to help store it.
    I've personally met/know competitive bodybuilders and fitness competitors who carb deplete, carb load, then after the show they have their "victory" meal which usually consists of pizza, pasta, bread etc. It's not uncommon for many of them to gain 10lbs to 20lbs on the scale the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for the explanation :) learn something new everyday.
  • Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You might want to go to the Atkins site and print yourself a carb counter. It lists net carbs.
  • maxflie
    maxflie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need more protein and some carbs. Without carbs your body will use muscle and that can get serious. I have 8 ounces of protein 4 times a day, 8 ounces of carbs for the first 2 meals then 4 ounces for the 3rd. The last meal is 8 ounces of protein. I drink 60 ounces of water and if you want you can use crystal light or MIO in your water. Meals should be 3-4 hours apart. I've lost 23 lbs in 6 weeks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You need more protein and some carbs. Without carbs your body will use muscle and that can get serious. I have 8 ounces of protein 4 times a day, 8 ounces of carbs for the first 2 meals then 4 ounces for the 3rd. The last meal is 8 ounces of protein. I drink 60 ounces of water and if you want you can use crystal light or MIO in your water. Meals should be 3-4 hours apart. I've lost 23 lbs in 6 weeks.
    The body has to be in quite a depleted state (lack of glycogen) along with some high intensity or continually long endurance exercise to reach muscle loss state though.
    Low carb works for fat loss, however it should be only short term IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been doing lots of research about low carb eating especially Primal. I have been scouring the Mark's daily apple website. (marksdailyapple.com) There are several discussions regarding Intermintent Fasting (IF) as well as Carb Feeding. Carb Feeding is generally for people who have stalled before they have lost the last few pounds. Basically it suggests eating a large # of carbs (preferrable primal type carbs) and lower fat for one day or so a week. Both ideas are very interesting. I haven't been doing Primal long enough to really delve into either, but these topics might be interesting as new ideas for someone who has stalled in their weight loss.