Help! I've broken my toe!

Options
Hello lovely people!

I'm in need of some advice as to what I can do with my broken toe. I really want to ensure I keep going to the gym so I'm thinking of using this as an opportunity to really get moving with strength training. Sadly I have some problems with my back and due to my toe lunges and probably squats are going to be a no go.

I would really be interested in some good upper body exercises that work on your arms and back.

Ideas please!

Replies

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How bad does it hurt? I used to break toes regularly (almost monthly) when I did taekwondo and started sparring. It never stopped me; just took a painkiller and worked through it. Mind you my toes are pretty wonky now, lol.

Upper body: Bench press, overhead press, barbell or dumbell rows, lateral pulldowns, flies (front, back and lateral)... there's loads you could do.

Edit: arms- curls and tricep extensions; most of the above also work your arms.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When I think I've broken a toe, I tape it up with the one next to it, until it doesn't hurt anymore (this can be a couple weeks or more).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Some ideas that would not use the feet:

Back: Pull ups (assisted if needed), seated lat pull downs, seated rows, dumbell skull crushers. Lying supermans would work the lower back and roman Chair would probably be OK (depending upon the method of leg isolation)

Arms: Chin-ups (assisted if needed), any curls (barbell, dumbell, ez-bar, cable). Triceps extensions (cable machine), triceps kick backs.

Shoulders: Seated presses (dumbell), lat raises, Arnold presses.

Chest: Bench or machine press, Flys (cable, bench or machine).

Legs: Seated leg extension and seated leg curls (both machine) would not use the toes. You could also add in Hip abductor machine.

Pretty much all Abs work will be ok.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Mine healed pretty fast. It may hurt to put on sneakers though and most gyms require them. Mine was during the summer though so I wore flip flops for a while.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OK, some good suggestions there! Though I do have to say that I don't know what more than a few of them are. Google will help with this I'm sure!

Sadly I can't just get on with it as I normally would as it is my big toe and it is load bearing so walking, running, planks etc are a no go in the gym just now.

I've just had an x-ray so will see what they say about how bad it is. It just had to be that toe. Dang it!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yeah, big toe is a problem... ouch.

Good luck.