Trouble getting started

Options
Hello all! I'm new to MFP and this community. After recent serious health issues, I thought I was finally ready to end this lifelong battle with excess weight and inactive lifestyle. While my head knows I should become more active (swimming for now until walking becomes easier), the rest of my body is staging a mutiny.

My journey is going to be such a long one that I feel overwhelmed.

Any suggestions to help get me out the door?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to start losing weight. Not to say that exercise isn't important, but if you are feeling overwhelmed try starting with just using the tools here on My Fitness Pal to create a 500 calorie daily deficit so you can lose 1lb a week. If you feel that you can handle a higher deficit in a few weeks, try upping it to 1.5 or 2lbs a week depending on how much weight you need to lose.

Once you lose some weight and feel like you have gotten the hang of it, then add in some swimming.

I try to think of it as 1 day at a time, make every day a victory.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First of all, WELCOME!

Just take it one day at a time.

I highly suggest not making drastic changes to your current diet. Work on cutting out or reducing "empty calories" such as sweeten teas, sodas, etc.

Don't go for all salads and no carbs, unless that is how you plan on eating forever. I have done this in the past and have found myself bored, tired and fast to fall off the wagon. This time I have worked hard at LEARNING to eat right, by working on portion control and not eating when not hungry. I know I will have to do this for the rest of my life in order to maintain once at goal.

For exercise, pick an activity that you like. Walking, biking, swimming, Wii fit, etc. Do what you can today, be it 5 minutes or 50. Then work on getting stronger day by day. Before you know it you will surpass your last best times and will be looking forward to working out.

There will be days that you question WHY (are things so hard, won't the scale move? Watch what I eat 24/7?) Just push forward and know that tomorrow WILL be better and you CAN do this. I find the success stories and other motivation sites, blogs, pics, etc really keep me going!

The weight will not come off overnight, but it will come off with the proper time and dedication given to it. If you have the willpower and the WANT to do this, you will succeed!

So, get off the couch and plan your next step.

Add me if you would like support. You've got this!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    your long journey won't get any shorter without getting started. swimming is great exercise and for now just focus on eating better than you did yesterday. over time you will lose weight and you will move easier. I wish you good heath and good luck with with MFP
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP! I would say my only advice is to take small steps and make small goals so that you can avoid feeling over whelmed. Also, find great motivation and support. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I recently lost 65lbs and am a busy mom of 5 kids. I'd love to help motivate and follow your journey!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Make small changes that you will be able to sustain. Walk for five minutes (or whatever you can do) and gradually add a minute or two. Every day try to go just a little further then the day before. Drink water. Don't try to cut out the "bad" foods, there are no bad foods. Just eat a little less then you did before. Oh and when you have a bad day leave it at that and don't let it turn into a bad week, month etc. Trust me when I say that we have all had days when we don't exercise and eat WAY too much. Just log it and try to learn from it. Do not let it be an excuse to quit. Utilize your friend list when you are struggling or when you have successes to share, even the tiniest ones count !!! This will be a long slow journey but know that you are not alone. We are all going through the same things, regardless of where we are in our journey. Add me as a friend if you wish :)
  • mmg0327
    mmg0327 Posts: 29
    Options
    I would say my only advice is to take small steps and make small goals so that you can avoid feeling over whelmed. Also, find great motivation and support.

^^^ This!

Welcome to MFP! My advice is, learn to recognize and celebrate the little victories (no matter how tiny they might seem to others)
    Congrats on taking the first step--it's the hardest one!
    Best of luck,
    Marissa
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    pray!