I'm just not losing weight so taking drastic measures...

Options
well, sort of. I'm going to start with doing slim fast for a week, maybe for the rest of July if I see some results, in an attempt to eliminate carbs (well mainly bread, pasta and processed sugar) from my diet to see if i can't jump start some weight loss.

I'm exercising 6 days a week and feel really good about my exercise right now but since I'm just not losing weight I have to believe it has everything to do with what I'm eating so this is what I'm going to do.

I guess I'm posting for a couple reasons; (1) would love some support and encouragement and (2) would love some feedback on what has worked for YOU if you've had to switch things up to start seeing some changes.

Thanks!

Replies

• carolina_blonde
    carolina_blonde Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, adding more protein makes a difference with my loss. I do need to start watching sugars, but if you are eating more protein, then you most likely eat less carbs. At least that's my thought.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    well, sort of. I'm going to start with doing slim fast for a week, maybe for the rest of July if I see some results, in an attempt to eliminate carbs (well mainly bread, pasta and processed sugar) from my diet to see if i can't jump start some weight loss.

I'm exercising 6 days a week and feel really good about my exercise right now but since I'm just not losing weight I have to believe it has everything to do with what I'm eating so this is what I'm going to do.

I guess I'm posting for a couple reasons; (1) would love some support and encouragement and (2) would love some feedback on what has worked for YOU if you've had to switch things up to start seeing some changes.

Thanks!

If you're exercising 6 days a week, I would not recommend Slim Fast as a meal replacement; that will bring your calories way too low for what your body needs with that level of exercise. Also, carbs aren't the enemy. Unless you are insulin resistant or have other medical issues, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just focus on calories in, calories out for now.

I'd recommend going to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and calculating the ideal number of calories for you to eat. Make sure you measure twice, eat once. Use a good food scale to make sure you're eating what you're logging. It is amazingly easy to eat more than you think you are.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that you will be going VLC doing that, probably seriously under eating, I doubt it will make any difference. You don't have your diary open so any other suggestions are hard without knowing your height, weight, and what you've been doing up to this point that isn't working. Exercise without proper nutrition won't achieve anything. You can't out exercise a bad diet.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the ingredients in slim fast?

Calories 190 Calories from Fat 54
    Total Fat 6.0g 9%
    Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
    Monounsaturated Fat 3.0g
    Cholesterol 5mg 2%
    Sodium 200mg 8%
    Total Carbohydrates 25.0g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 5.0g 20%
    Sugars 18.0g
    Protein 10.0g

It's hardly sugar or carb-less.

I have to say I agree that all SlimFast AND working out 6 days a week won't work. You just won't have enough energy to run on. I "accidentally" went low-carb just trying to calorie control and I was so exhausted my workouts suffered and I was still getting enough calories.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Slimfast shakes are loaded with carbs and sugar, so you're not really cutting back on these things by switching to the shakes-

One can of the milk chocolate kind-

Calories 190

Calories from Fat 54

Total Fat 6.0g 9%

Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g

Monounsaturated Fat 3.0g

Cholesterol 5mg 2%

Sodium 200mg 8%

Carbohydrates 25.0g 8%

Dietary Fiber 5.0g 20%

Sugars 18.0g

Protein 10.0g

It won't hurt to try them for a couple weeks, but realistically it's not something you can do long term, so what's the point?

As for me-I lost my weight doing a form of IF. Almost 50lbs gone in about 6 months :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Are you insane?

Your goal weight is just 16 pounds and you're desperate!!!

Women!!!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but I had that problem when I wasn't eating enough calories. On the advice of a friend, I bumped up my calories and made my workouts count (as in,... sweat every time) and after a while, the weight started coming off and I've been maintaining for over a year (with only a slight gain that I'm choosing not to lose again). I don't pretend to be able to explain it, but that was my experience.

Personally, I don't recommend making any major changes that you're not willing or able to do for the long haul because once you go back to "normal", you're very likely to just put any lost weight right back on. It's natural to want to see results fast, but it's not usually natural for it to actually happen and be maintainable at the same time. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law has been using slim fast for years and years. But she must be doing it wrong, because she just keeps getting bigger and bigger...I think she starves herself on slim fast for a while, loses a couple of pounds, then crashes and gives up. Then she starts all over again. It's a vicious cycle. She's got it stuck in her mind that this is the way to go. I've never used it, but based on other people's experiences with it, I'm not a fan of slim fast or any other "diet" products.
  • itsjilly
    itsjilly Posts: 40
    Options
    Nix on the slim Fast!

Get a good quality protein power and add some greek yogurt to it to thicken it up.

Add some Chia seeds to your diet.

Try to get your Carbs from mostly plant based.

Eat Food, not food like products! Anything in a package with things that you don't have a clue what they are, stay away if you can.

Avoid Artificial sweetners. Drink lots of water.

Try to stick to red meat only once a week.

I am down 60 lbs from October (had a 2 month break, because I hurt my back and could't work out)

I am 41 female, and have been following advice from my trainer.

If you can get the movie Hungry for Change, it might change the way you see food.

My typical day is 1250 calories, 30 G fat, 150 protein and 40 carbs.

Weigh and measure your food. Track everything that goes in.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    As for me-I lost my weight doing a form of IF. Almost 50lbs gone in about 6 months :)
    [/quote]
    I'm trying out the 8 Hour Diet which is a form of IF, not sure if it's working or not yet. I'm exercising before break-fast and then sticking to my calorie goal which I eat within an 8 hour period:smile: . Can you say more about how IF worked for you?
    Editing to say I was referring to jvczee's post, but botched the quote by erasing some of it! ;))
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    SJVZEE: What is "IF" and what 'form' of IF did you do?

[/quote]
    [/quote]