Overnight oats

brandnew222
brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
Hey everybody, usually I eat this for breakfast
  • oats
  • coconut milk
  • a teaspoon of chia seeds
  • honey
what can I add or change to vary a bit, keeping oatmeal, milk and the overnight soak (i'm lazy) ?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I used to add bluberries and brown sugar, or half a banana and some pb2, or peaches and cream to mine.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    I like soy milk for some added protein (plus its tasty). Otherwise, almond butter + cocoa + instant coffee granules= delicious.

Chia seeds, honey, nuts, banana, and blueberries all make it into my overnight oats rotation. I haven't had it for awhile though. Oh and chocolate chips! But if adding chocolate chips I'll omit the honey.

This site has some great overnight oats and regular porridge recipes http://www.theoatmealartist.com/

^ That's where I got the idea for the almond butter mocha oats.
  • jlnelson815
    jlnelson815 Posts: 20 Member
    Non fat yogurt
    Unsweetened almond milk
    Oats
    Blueberries
    Chia seeds
    Leave overnight in fridge and eat in the morning. So good! I have also put strawberries and bananas in it.
  • Torist89
    Torist89 Posts: 1 Member
    Pomegranate seeds
    Pistachio nuts...any nuts for that matter!
    Cinnamon and raisins/ sultanas
    Pumpkin seed
    Cranberries
    Nutella
  • gvanessa2617
    gvanessa2617 Posts: 1 Member
    Mine is 1 cup of vanilla almond milk 1 cup old fashioned oats 1 tablespoon vainilla greek yogurt then next morning add half banana 1 teaspoon of pb and cinnamon to taste or instead of banana some raisins and crushed pecans
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    had them this morning. My recipe was similar to yours except I use cow milk, no honey, and add some vanilla and cinnamon. Oh, and I had a whole TBS of Chia seeds.

but I put all kinds of stuff in mine depending on mood. Sometimes I like them savory and put a soft boiled egg on top with lots of pepper. On rare occasions I've been known to add some mini chocolate chips and peanut butter.
  • carcarxx94
    carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
    Had one this morning - an empty peanut butter jar and layered -
    160g mashed sweet potatoes (leftover from last night dinner making )
    60g peanut butter
    25g raspberry jam ( fancied a pb&j !! )
    150g strawberry arla protein quark yoghurt ( or just any quark or healthy yoghurt )
    15g Oats and 50ml milk
    2 Cashew Nuts

All in all 806 calories so if you aren't a huge breakfast eater like me then could obviously half the recipe or more ..!

I also like blackforest cake oats
    30g Oats
    150ml milk
    20g unsweetened cocoa powder
    Tsp vanilla extract
    20g 90% dark chocolated chopped
    80g mixed berries

Or carrot cake oats
    30g oats
    150ml milk
    60g shaved carrot
    15g raisins
    15g chopped nuts
    10g chia seed
    Tsp of mixed spice, or nutmeg and cinnamon
    Some ginger spice
    Mix it all up and top with a faux cream cheese frosting made with -
    50g greek yoghurt
    30g quark or cream cheese
    Tsp vanilla extract
    Sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon

Or for savoury
    30g oats
    150ml milk
    Tsp cinnamon ( heat these if you have some energy in the morning ! )
    Add on top -
    Wilted spinach
    30g nuts
    A fried egg
    Optional - tiny bit of soy sauce

(Trust me it works !! )
  • jo250585
    jo250585 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I layer a jar with oats, fat free yoghurt,blueberries, raspberries and teaspoon of honey
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Canned pumpkin, dried fruit instead of sweeteners, flax seed, sesame seed or tahini, nuts or nut butters, spices (cinnamon), cocoa powder, diced banana or pear, yogurt in place of milk. The sky is the limit!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Hey everybody, usually I eat this for breakfast
    • oats
    • coconut milk
    • a teaspoon of chia seeds
    • honey
    what can I add or change to vary a bit, keeping oatmeal, milk and the overnight soak (i'm lazy) ?

It's the fruit to change it up.

I use:
    50 gm oats
    50 gm fruit - raspberries, summer berries, blueberries etc.
    100ml skimmed milk

The fruit not only provides natural sugar, but if you buy freshly frozen packs then you just grab a frozen handful each morning for a different taste.

Sometimes I use a low sugar berry yoghurt and slice in half a banana instead.

For me, overnight oats is all about speed, simplicity and taste. If you're lazy, then some of the recipes above are just imaginary!
    If it takes me more than 5 minutes at night to make, I won't do it!
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    I've never made over night oats but I live to eat my oatmeal this way http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/21/holiday-breakfast-in-a-jiffy-carrot-cake-oatmeal/
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2016
    Double post
  • krystal_m18
    krystal_m18 Posts: 3 Member
    Banana, coconut, pumpkin seeds, powdered peanut butter (pb2...can buy at Popeyes supplements) berries
  • rymillions
    rymillions Posts: 1 Member
    I usually make mine using half a mashed banana, almond milk, a handful of dried fruit (sultanas, cranberries, figs, dates, apricots.. Depends what mood I'm in) then I add about a quarter of a tea spoon of raw organic cacao powder and about half a tea spoon of cinnamon. Then in the morning I will cut up some pear or apple or add some berries, I find that I never need to add honey or syrup etc as it is sweet enough already and full of flavour! Hope this is helpful :smile:
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I love overnight oats but they give me really painful bloating. Does anyone else get this?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited May 2016
    My recipe is (I re-weigh each time for accuracy but these are the general volume proportions):

1/2 C old-fashioned oats
    1 tablespoon chia seeds (I think this is more than most people but I really like the texture and thickness they bring, it's almost half oatmeal and half chia pudding)
    2/3 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    healthy sprinkle of cinnamon
    tiny pinch salt

Then, in the morning I add some chopped apple and a sprinkle of Trader Joe's sliced honey roasted almonds or chopped up candied pecans. You can adjust all that to taste, but mine comes out to about 300 calories, give or take depending on my exact weights.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    My basic recipe is:

- 125ml unsweetened coconut milk
    - 45g oats
    - 2 tsp chia seeds
    - sweetener of choice (honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, lemon curd, jam)

I have a few variations

Tropical overnight oats:
    - 10g shredded coconut
    - frozen mango chunks

Chocolate:
    - 2 tsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    - 1 sliced banana (also interchangable with pb)

Matcha:
    - 1 tsp matcha
    - frozen berries of some kind

-mixed spice and blackberry

-cooked rhubarb and vanilla essence