Need help

Options
bigb465
bigb465 Posts: 22 Member
I could use some help in this category, I do alot of research on healthy foods better choices but I think with help and friends I would be better to achieve my goals :/ any assistance is better then none.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    1) Clearing out the binge temptation food is the first place to start. I do have some treats like kid size Cliff brownie bars but I keep the stuff I would binge on out of the house. 2) Planning and prepping - This has actually saved me money since I am not overbuying as much. I use the store circulars to see what is on sale and in season and plan out meals for the week before I go shopping. I don't prep too far in advance(usually just the night before). I do prep larger portions of sturdy salads like red bean salad or Israeli salad and use them for several meals though the week. Good luck :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What exaclty are you asking for help with? In terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what kinds of foods you eat-'healthy' vs 'non-healthy' is a non-issue. You only need to eat at an appropriate calorie deficit for your weight loss goals to lose weight. So if you're asking what foods to eat to lose weight, the answer is it doesn't matter for weight loss-eat whatever you want, just hit your calorie goals.

Or, are you asking for new food ideas to shake things up? Or recipes? Or macros help?

More info needed :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    1) Clearing out the binge temptation food is the first place to start. I do have some treats like kid size Cliff brownie bars but I keep the stuff I would binge on out of the house. 2) Planning and prepping - This has actually saved me money since I am not overbuying as much. I use the store circulars to see what is on sale and in season and plan out meals for the week before I go shopping. I don't prep too far in advance(usually just the night before). I do prep larger portions of sturdy salads like red bean salad or Israeli salad and use them for several meals though the week. Good luck :)

Where are you seeing that OP is a binge eater?
  • bigb465
    Options
    That's wat I'm learning more and more but as to the healthy foods is more wat I meant I heard that you can eat anything and still lose weight I just want to start finding better alternatives instead of eating unhealthy foods still :) thanks for the help
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bigb465 wrote: »
    That's wat I'm learning more and more but as to the healthy foods is more wat I meant I heard that you can eat anything and still lose weight I just want to start finding better alternatives instead of eating unhealthy foods still :) thanks for the help

If you're wanting to switch things up-an easy place to start is whole grains. I eat a LOT of oats, and that's replaced regular boxed cereal. Oats are really filling, easy and fast to make, and are a great base for add-ins like fruit, nuts, granola, caramel sauce... :) And one serving of oats is 150 calories so not bad at all.

And then you can use brown rice instead of white, whole grain bread instead of regular white bread, pasta made with whole wheat (and the kind I buy actually has veggies added, wild lol) etc etc.
  • bigb465
    Options
    Awesome that sounds like a major change right there is everything you listed at walmart? And oats I been meaning to ask someone, oats are not oatmeal correct?
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Awesome that sounds like a major change right there is everything you listed at walmart? And oats I been meaning to ask someone, oats are not oatmeal correct?

Oats is oatmeal :) I buy the big canisters (Walmart etc ), and then I make one serving on the stovetop (only takes a couple minutes). Then I add in all sorts of things to it. My current favorite is flavored Bear Naked granola (I add it in as the oatmeal is simmering towards the end), and a sliced banana. You don't need to add any sugar/sweetener because the banana and granola already add sweetness :)
  • bigb465
    Options
    Ok I started eating oatmeal a while back and seen a personal trainer say he was eating oats it just didn't look like the stuff I was eating is there any certain brand I should try? I think I was just using the Quaker oatmeal stuff and thanks I'll have to try getting some granola, also do you mean like granola bars? Or there's just granola? Sorry to ask so many questions lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ok I started eating oatmeal a while back and seen a personal trainer say he was eating oats it just didn't look like the stuff I was eating is there any certain brand I should try? I think I was just using the Quaker oatmeal stuff and thanks I'll have to try getting some granola, also do you mean like granola bars? Or there's just granola? Sorry to ask so many questions lol.

When people say "oats," they're typically talking about the type that Quaker sells. Granola and granola bars may have oats, but they also have a lot more ingredients -- ingredients that increase the calorie count and may make them not fit as well into your goals.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options

Walmart should have a generic brand (I swear I've bought it there before? Right now I'm using the generic Meijer oats). Really, oats are just oats-the ingredients label should read something like 100% natural whole grain rolled oats (or something very similar). However, you'll see Quick Oats, Rolled Oats (also sometimes labeled Old Fashioned Oats), and then Steel Cut Oats. It's just how they prep them and it doesn't change the nutritional content. I like quick oats because they cook really fast. And it's still a whole grain (the above label is from my Meijer Quick Oats canister). Quaker is fine too, but it's around a dollar more I've found. Here's a more in-depth article about the different cuts (this is probably why yours looked different than what he was eating)
    http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-steel-cut-rolled-and-instant-oats-138355

And if you want to really get wild with oats, here's a recipe site I use that has an insane amount of oat variations
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/recipe-index/recipe-list-a-z/

Granola is nice for flavoring and nutrients, but make sure to weigh out a correct portion size on a food scale, set to grams (I could sit down and eat a whole bag :p ). This is the granola I'm using now because it was on sale lol. I really like it though! Walmart carries it (just bought some there yesterday). I buy the bags and then add one serving size to my oats to give it some flavor and crunch. So far I've tried the Maple-Icious Pecan and the Sea Salt Caramel Apple kinds. Both are really good-(ignore the granola bar ad on the top of the page-look at the bags below for the different flavors). I think I paid around $3 for one bag at Walmart.
    http://www.bearnaked.com/en_US/fuel-up.html

Many people like oatmeal in the morning because it's quick to prep and it's filling. I actually like making it for supper though, because one serving of oatmeal with a couple add-ins fills me up for the rest of the night and I don't have an urge to snack. Calorie-wise, even if you go a bit crazy with the add-ins you're going to find it difficult to hit over 500 calories. My oat bowls usually come in at around 400 calories.
  • bigb465
    Options
    Thank you so much might I be able to add you in case I need more advice I'm new to this actually started at the first of month but just now finding out I can add people this apps pretty awesome I feel much better today with everyone's help so far
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've started eating ungodly amounts of lean protein (chicken, shrimp, surimi, protein shakes, lean ground beef) and I have seen a HUGE change. As hard as this is- stop eating white foods. It sucks, and it forces you to change your whole diet, but the results have been amazing for me. Eliminate pasta (whole grain is ok in moderation), rice, and potatoes, sub in oats, corn, sweet potatoes. Also, try to avoid non-nutritive sweeteners (stevia, splenda, truvia, sweet n lo) in anything that you aren't eating with a meal. That means no diet soda, low cal coffee creamer, etc. unless you're eating a full meal with it. This is because mouse model studies have shown that non-nutritives trigger the insulin response. The problem with this is that when the insulin is released, your body can't find the sugars its supposed to break down. Over time, your body will release less and less insulin to this response, so your body will not be able to break down all of the carbohydrates (sugar) you eat and you will gain weight. Finally, and this is my biggest advice, watch your macros. You can do "calories in, calories out" and try to run a deficit all the time, but you will see much faster progress if you re-jigger your macros so you're eating lots of protein, moderate fat, and lower carbs. Hope this helps a little bit, good luck on your journey!!
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Re: your granola post above... there are definitely better options. Granola has a TON of sugar. As a result, most recommended serving sizes are impossibly small and they won't keep you full. If you need a better breakfast option try any of the following- oatmeal (whole oats if at all possible, if you need instant, try to buy the unflavored and add sugar/flavor yourself), grits (again, unflavored, season yourself), hard boiled eggs, protein shakes (muscle milk light is great for weight loss), greek yogurt (plain is best, add fruit, most of the low cal stuff has stevia in it), or bananas.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go with Lpflaum advice you will feel really good and if you lift weights and do cardio you will get the results you want just keep at it don't stop
  • bigb465
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    Re: your granola post above... there are definitely better options. Granola has a TON of sugar. As a result, most recommended serving sizes are impossibly small and they won't keep you full. If you need a better breakfast option try any of the following- oatmeal (whole oats if at all possible, if you need instant, try to buy the unflavored and add sugar/flavor yourself), grits (again, unflavored, season yourself), hard boiled eggs, protein shakes (muscle milk light is great for weight loss), greek yogurt (plain is best, add fruit, most of the low cal stuff has stevia in it), or bananas.

Ok so the granola isn't a good idea then right and I seen you said something about macros wat is that I've seen it on these apps and heard of it but never really knew exactly wat it is or how to manage intake of it and thank you guys so much I'm screen shorting everything lol
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bigb465 - seems like you're fixating on oats/granola because of one really good suggestion.

Instead of getting too focused on that one change, look at what you really need:

Learn about calories in / calories out CICO.
    1. You need to find ways to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day.
    2. To do that you need to learn how many calories you burn in a day (TDEE).
    3. You then need to set a goal to eat fewer calories (Goal)
    4. If you set a goal at 500 calories below TDEE, you will average 1 pound of weight loss each week!
    5. As you lose weight, keep re-calculating TDEE. Every ten pounds to start, i'd guess.

Learning to eat oats as a meal is one great solution to reducing calories. It can be satisfying, and flavorful, and way fewer calories than an order of french fries.

But first, read up on setting your goal. MFP has a great tool to estimate your TDEE and help calculate your goal.
    Then start logging your food accurately, to see how your eating compares to your goal.
    Then start making changes, like eating oats, to bring your daily consumption within goal.

At any point during this, you may decide to start exercising. Exercise does NOT lead to weight loss. While you burn calories exercising, it is SOO easy to overeat, that the common saying is "You can't outrun a bad diet."

Exercise does increase your TDEE some; some when you learn about that, you can adjust your daily goal based on an understanding of how many calories you burned working out. When i go for a 3 mile run - i earn enough calories for a small snack. 3 miles for a small snack. Let that sink in... it's easier, at least in the beginning, to NOT have the snack than to run 3 miles!

if you start CICO, you can get your weight under control. As you get your weight under control, you can use exercise to make your body work and feel better. And best of all, you can use MFP for free to help guide you through this, and these wonderful people on the forums to learn from and be inspired by.

Happy new life to you!
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    I go on bodybuilding.com a lot and get tips on eating and exercise I have been at it for 3 years now and still learning it takes time to learn how your body works and what makes you feel good but I enjoy every day good luck :)
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    I've started eating ungodly amounts of lean protein (chicken, shrimp, surimi, protein shakes, lean ground beef) and I have seen a HUGE change. As hard as this is- stop eating white foods. It sucks, and it forces you to change your whole diet, but the results have been amazing for me. Eliminate pasta (whole grain is ok in moderation), rice, and potatoes, sub in oats, corn, sweet potatoes. Also, try to avoid non-nutritive sweeteners (stevia, splenda, truvia, sweet n lo) in anything that you aren't eating with a meal. That means no diet soda, low cal coffee creamer, etc. unless you're eating a full meal with it. This is because mouse model studies have shown that non-nutritives trigger the insulin response. The problem with this is that when the insulin is released, your body can't find the sugars its supposed to break down. Over time, your body will release less and less insulin to this response, so your body will not be able to break down all of the carbohydrates (sugar) you eat and you will gain weight. Finally, and this is my biggest advice, watch your macros. You can do "calories in, calories out" and try to run a deficit all the time, but you will see much faster progress if you re-jigger your macros so you're eating lots of protein, moderate fat, and lower carbs. Hope this helps a little bit, good luck on your journey!!

Not necessary. My diet is totally the opposite and I lost 50 pounds and have maintained that loss for 15 years. And that includes eating a lot of all kinds of carbs (including candy every night) and living on diet soda.

The only thing necessary is eating less calories than you burn in a day.

OP - what kind of food do you like? Start by eating that - just less of it. Baby steps.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Yes it's true a person can lose weight eating junk it's about burning more then you eat that's how you lose weight but why not feel good too and try to eat as healthy as you can and exercise gives you the best high you will ever get I wish I would have started doing them both at the same time when I started so I hope you do :)
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Most people fail at weight loss when they try to be perfect at everything at once.