Blood pressure reading?!?

Options
I was just at the doctor and the nurse took my blood pressure. It was 112/70, and she asked me if I normally have blood pressure problems. She was insinuating that it was too high?!? I am confused, I thought that was a good reading. My blood pressure was 112/70 and my HR was 62. Am I wrong? Have the standards changed?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    I was just at the doctor and the nurse took my blood pressure. It was 112/70, and she asked me if I normally have blood pressure problems. She was insinuating that it was too high?!? I am confused, I thought that was a good reading. My blood pressure was 112/70 and my HR was 62. Am I wrong? Have the standards changed?

120/80 is considered normal. I would question why that nurse thought otherwise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

ditto
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she was insinuating that it was low.
  • vegaspack
    vegaspack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    112 / 70 is optimal blood pressure. Sometimes medical people have weight bias as they assume people may have health problems based on their weight. The opposite can happen w/ fit, skinny people. Many of those nurses have the 120 / 80 bias as they feel a fit young woman can't have High BP or heart issues. She may have just been having a bad day and rushed.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    112/70 is pretty normal. For what it's worth, doctors are now pushing harder for people to keep their blood pressure under 120. Basically, lower the better, to a point.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Your BP is normal, actually excellent. Wonder if she thought you were on meds?

When I took them my numbers were picture perfect(like yours). Then my body didn't like the meds any more and they almost stopped my heart.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    100-139/60-89 is normal
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It is a great reading........why didn't you ask the nurse why she was asking?

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

120/80 is prehypertensive.

As for why she asked you, you'd have to ask her. I'm a nurse and there's a million reasons I might ask a patient about their blood pressure and health history.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

As for why she asked you, you'd have to ask her. I'm a nurse and there's a million reasons I might ask a patient about their blood pressure and health history.

That's interesting - my mother (also a nurse) took my blood pressure last night and said 120/80 was excellent...

Mine used to be lower a few years back - a different GYN switched me to a HBC a year ago that ended up giving me REALLY high blood pressure (like, 160/100) that I was totally unaware of until I went back to my old GYN a few weeks ago and she was like WHOA, YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE IS REALLY HIGH??? I had no idea HBC could raise blood pressure, and despite being obese it was NEVER a problem for me, so in the year I was on that pill I never thought to check it.

Hopefully 120/80 is an intermediary back to my old BP rather than its new baseline :/
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

That's interesting - my mother (also a nurse) took my blood pressure last night and said 120/80 was excellent...

Mine used to be lower a few years back - a different GYN switched me to a HBC a year ago that ended up giving me REALLY high blood pressure (like, 160/100) that I was totally unaware of until I went back to my old GYN a few weeks ago and she was like WHOA, YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE IS REALLY HIGH??? I had no idea HBC could raise blood pressure, and despite being obese it was NEVER a problem for me, so in the year I was on that pill I never thought to check it.

Hopefully 120/80 is an intermediary back to my old BP rather than its new baseline :/

I don't mean to sound rude but if she's older, it's a pretty new guideline so she might not be familiar with it. Depends on your population too, on my unit we are pretty happy with with anything between 90-159 and under 100 diastolic and a map over 65. No ones panties are going to get in a wad with a blood pressure of 120/80 anywhere, but it's definitely not ideal and perfect like some have the idea it is and essentially places you at risk of developing full blown hypertension. For someone outside a hospital that is otherwise healthy it's borderline high basically, definitely not excellent. And yes, birth control can raise it quite dangerously high for some people- also cough medicine is one as well.

And we took my dads bp he has genetic hypertension and it was 177/105. He bikes all the time and his heart rate is 48 but damn than hypertension is scary. He didn't understand why I was so freaked, his pressure at rest is higher than my systolic!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prehypertension/basics/definition/con-20026271
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Soooo, what did the doctor say about your BP??
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I checked mine today, it was 126/80. It was not much lower when I was on medication.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lol no it's definitely not high based on the average. I'm usually in the one teens over seventy-eight or so too. My pulse depending on where I'm at has even read below 60. Nothing wrong with it. If your readings are normally really low it could seem high for you but it depends on your history. Hard to say.