50 lbs down......

Options
loreli1977
loreli1977 Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2016 in Success Stories
I've been overweight most of my adult life. I didn't know how it happened either. One minute I was an athlete who ate very healthy and the next I was someone who couldn't fit into a size 20.

After trying for years to get the weight off, a new physician decided to run a more detailed thyroid panel on me and low & behold: MY THYROID WAS NOT WORKING AT ALL! My doctor said I could work out for hours and starve myself too but it was as if I were laying on the sofa eating junk.

How frustrating. SO... He started me on synthroid and I continued on with healthy eating. The pounds began to come off but then I hit a plateau. This is the heart breaking part folks....
While I DO NOT have celiac's, my doctor suggested that the gluten was holding up my thyroid ( and causing my skin rashes and gastrointestinal issues) and that it had to go.....

I'm half German. Bread is my WORLD. And this doctor ( and also another doctor) were telling me I had to cut it out of my diet?????

Well you know where this is going right? I cut out the gluten and feel AMAZING!!!! Weight started melting off. Skin rashes? Gone. Tummy issues? A thing of the past. And thanks to my awesome husband and his taking over meal preparation, I never feel deprived. In the middle of all this, my hair decided to fall out in chunks.... ( if I could pull a gun on my own thyroid I would- playing with a girl's hair is like playing with her emotions!!!!!) Hopefully, it will come back. We will see.

I eat super clean. I try to stay around 1,300-1,350 calories a day. I drink no less ( usually more) than a gallon of water per day. I work out 6 days a week and totally love it! I'm crazy addicted to spinning & swimming. I lift weights 2x per week and also mix in a little Zumba and yoga! It helps so much that I've found a group of people ( who I lovingly refer to as My Crew) that love fitness too!

I still have about another 30 lbs to lose but I'm not gonna kill myself getting there. I already have achieved so much and feel so good that I'm trying to focus on being healthy NOT the # on the scale.

If you're struggling with staying motivated or you too have thyroid issues- MESSAGE ME! Misery loves company! Seriously though- MFP has been so helpful and everyone on here so motivating and if I could motivate just one person to take control and start living life to the fullest, I would be a happy gal!!!!

Love & Encouragement to all!!!!!2wydrrfg5cxe.jpeg
jzwzct0d5uiy.jpeg

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!