For those who can't squat.....(help?!)

Options
I watch on fitness sites, in the gym, and I see every where how squats are awesome for shaping and also burn a lot being a compound lift. However after several attempts.... Using the wall, putting a small weight under my toes to stay on my heals, stretching my hips and getting advice from several people I don't know why my body won't do a proper squat. My back automatically bends even doing just body weight. I can't stay on my heals and I can't go parallel at all. I'm getting nothing but frustrated because I'm cutting and I really want to work on shaping!!!! Any good alternates or ideas I haven't thought of because it's the only thing I'm missing!!! Also I can do them on smith machine (which I want to get off and do free weight) but it's just not the same!!!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Have you tried front squats or box squats? Are you looking at the floor or up? What about your leg stance (too narrow or too wide)?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    I watch on fitness sites, in the gym, and I see every where how squats are awesome for shaping and also burn a lot being a compound lift. However after several attempts.... Using the wall, putting a small weight under my toes to stay on my heals, stretching my hips and getting advice from several people I don't know why my body won't do a proper squat. My back automatically bends even doing just body weight. I can't stay on my heals and I can't go parallel at all. I'm getting nothing but frustrated because I'm cutting and I really want to work on shaping!!!! Any good alternates or ideas I haven't thought of because it's the only thing I'm missing!!! Also I can do them on smith machine (which I want to get off and do free weight) but it's just not the same!!!

Small weight under your heels right? not toes?

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    K...assuming you're doing barbell back squats here. High bar or low bar (low bar is a bit easier to hit without back rounding)?

Best thing would be to post a video from the side -- hard to diagnose without seeing what's going on. And the problem might not be as bad as you think.

In addition to the hip opening / stretching work, might also want to look at stretching your hams and glutes.

Oh, and do you have conscious control of your lower back / glutes? As in, if someone cues you by touching your lower back, can you stick your butt out on command? If you can't do that, it doesn't matter how flexible you are...

BTW, I'm jealous of your biceps and shoulders. Nice work!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Have you tried front squats or box squats? Are you looking at the floor or up? What about your leg stance (too narrow or too wide)?

Stance is just outside of shoulders, toes pointed a little out but not in. I've tried front with a kettle and I tend to have the same issue. I can sumo squat ok with a kettle. I am wondering if balance it playing a big part too
  • jmac4263
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    K...assuming you're doing barbell back squats here. High bar or low bar (low bar is a bit easier to hit without back rounding)?

Best thing would be to post a video from the side -- hard to diagnose without seeing what's going on. And the problem might not be as bad as you think.

In addition to the hip opening / stretching work, might also want to look at stretching your hams and glutes.

Oh, and do you have conscious control of your lower back / glutes? As in, if someone cues you by touching your lower back, can you stick your butt out on command? If you can't do that, it doesn't matter how flexible you are...

I've done it with bar high and low. Not sure on the butt part maybe it's my flexiblity
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Why not widen your stance? If you can do sumo then maybe your current back squat stance is too narrow which would play into the balance issue.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If it's possible could you maybe take a video, so we could properly figure out what's going on? Also what shoes are you using, make sure they're flat soled and not just running shoes.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Shoes are Nike trainers they are pretty flat. I've gone bare foot too I just can't seem to keep my toes up and go back on my heals with out bending my back a lot. If I'm on my toes I can squat better but obviously bad form
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    How is your ankle flexibility?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    Shoes are Nike trainers they are pretty flat. I've gone bare foot too I just can't seem to keep my toes up and go back on my heals with out bending my back a lot. If I'm on my toes I can squat better but obviously bad form

Is it a confidence issue? If you put a low platform (aka, box squat), back there and do touch-and-goes on the box, do you still have the lower back rounding?

And how much weight on the bar are we talking about here? If the weight's too light, it's harder to counterbalance the weight from putting your hips back without doing an excessive forward lean, which tends to put you up on your toes.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    try using the TRX to squat until you can get the mobility and strength and form to do them on your own. The trx allows you to assist your squat so you can focus on your mobility and form without the added confusion of needing the glute power.

814jor75fdad.jpg

• DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Being a female, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you lack the flexibility to squat. Could you post a profile view video of your squat?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our bone structure plays a big part of how we squat or if we can can as well as others etc . This was a great article and photos you might be interested to see about squat differences... http://themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Lay on the floor and do superman's. When you can do those in your sleep, do them in a squatting position with no weight. Keep doing that.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Try different stances in your squat. Most people's squat stances will vary for numerous reasons. I agree with a lot of commenters that it's hard for us to help much without a video. Drop the weight down and focus on form at a low weight. Try different stances, breathe in at the top, brace, slowly lower down focusing on spreading the floor with your feet (it helps keep the glutes engaged).

Squats are great, there's no denying that. But they aren't the only way to build a bum. I love barbell hip thrusts and glute bridges, split squats, lunges. Look into strong curves or get glutes, these were developed by Bret Contreras (the glute guy) and he's got lot of options for building a butt.
  • jmac4263
    Options
    Body weight the best I could do for video
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

I second this!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Being a female, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you lack the flexibility to squat. Could you post a profile view video of your squat?

I don't know why you say that. Everyone's flexibility is different.
    When I first tried squatting with body weight only, I failed miserably. With lots of practice I was able to become more and more flexible and get better balance, and now I am able to do a proper squat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd like to see a picture. Some lean is completely fine. If you allow yourself to lean, can you get to parallel?

https://www.t-nation.com/training/squat-mechanics-a-deep-analysis