Constantly Feel Like I'm Not Doing Enough...Am I?

Options
I typically have an hour and a half for my morning work out - more on weekends. I aim high and always end up having to cut my work outs a little bit short from what I had planned and this makes me feel like a failure when I don't/can't get it all done no matter how excellent the work out was. It makes me question if I'm logging properly, if I should really be eating as much and as often as I do or if it is going overboard. Take today for example:

Smith Circuit
1. Basic squats (1 x 15 x 110 lbs. / 1 x 12 x 130 lbs / 1 x 10 x 160 lbs.); completed this
2. Seated squats (feet together in front of you and squat as if you're going to sit on the floor; same reps/weight as above); completed this
3. Split squats (3 x 15 x 70 lbs.); only did 10 reps instead of 15
4. Hip thrusts (4 x 10 x 110 lbs.); actually did 2 x 15 x 60 lbs. because the Smith machine wasn't oiled so it wouldn't go down past a certain point and I had to use available barbells
Abduction/adduction burn out; actually 3 x 20 x 95 lbs. not until failure (ran short on time)
Leg press variation
1. Wide stance leg press (4 x 15 x 265 lbs. build); omitted
2. Front stance leg press (same as "seated squat"; 4 x 15 x 280 lbs. build); omitted
3. Side press (3 x 15 x 110 lbs.); completed
Cardio (30-minutes); actually did 15-minutes

Is this a good enough work out? I had to omit a few things from my upper body work out yesterday, too, and it really has me feeling down (should have had more of an ab/back focus and instead it was more arm/shoulder oriented also). Now, don't get me wrong, I had an excellent leg work out on Tuesday and I was feeling really great, but I'm constantly feeling like I'm not going heavy enough, not doing enough, etc. Just wanted some other opinions and was wondering if anyone else questions their diet/fitness plan like this?

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What program are you following?

My only thought is, if you did more sets with lower reps you could potentially lift heavier weights...and that might be more satisfying to you, mentally, though I'm not sure what effect it would have on you physically. I'll let other experts pipe up.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What program are you following?

My only thought is, if you did more sets with lower reps you could potentially lift heavier weights...and that might be more satisfying to you, mentally, though I'm not sure what effect it would have on you physically. I'll let other experts pipe up.

It's set by my trainer. More sets, lower reps and higher weight? I can give it a try! Low reps is where I usually feel unsatisfied though. Even though I'm aware that it isn't the best for my body.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    That's a LOT of time spent in the gym. I mean, I love my gym and the whole gym atmosphere overall, but IMHO the "constant" feeling of not doing enough and "feeling like a failure" seems to me much more of a mental issue than a physical one. Now, please note, I did NOT call you "mental". I just think that you are already doing a lot. What if you get injured? I'd scale down and try lower reps, heavier weights, less time as was suggested.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but your posts are exhausting to read, every time. Do you obsess over everything? You always do a million lifts. It doesn't have to be this hard.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Not to be rude but your posts are exhausting to read, every time. Do you obsess over everything? You always do a million lifts. It doesn't have to be this hard.

Yes, I actually do. I'm a perfectionist in all aspects of life, and the gym is my extreme perfectionist zone. This message board is the place to ask questions, I take advice that is given seriously and have made progress due to it. I'm not one of the people who disregards the answers that I get - someone suggests I eat more, lift in a different order, spend less time, etc. I try it out and see how it works for me. Also, I don't do a million. I am working different muscles and doing 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps for the most part.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    That's a LOT of time spent in the gym. I mean, I love my gym and the whole gym atmosphere overall, but IMHO the "constant" feeling of not doing enough and "feeling like a failure" seems to me much more of a mental issue than a physical one. Now, please note, I did NOT call you "mental". I just think that you are already doing a lot. What if you get injured? I'd scale down and try lower reps, heavier weights, less time as was suggested.

My lift sessions are only 40-60 minutes and that's because I give a lot of rest time in between sets. The extra half-hour is cardio typically and I just started adding it in since summer is right around the corner. And the failure aspect tends to come from comparing previous gains (being able to up weight weekly) that were made quickly to now coming to a plateau and having it take almost a month to up any significant amount. Just makes me question the set routine. What is considered "low reps"? I see people that do 5 x 5, in which case I assume you would drastically increase the weight? Or would 3-4 sets of 7-8 suffice?
  • LazSommer
    Options

Yes, I actually do. I'm a perfectionist in all aspects of life, and the gym is my extreme perfectionist zone. This message board is the place to ask questions, I take advice that is given seriously and have made progress due to it. I'm not one of the people who disregards the answers that I get - someone suggests I eat more, lift in a different order, spend less time, etc. I try it out and see how it works for me. Also, I don't do a million. I am working different muscles and doing 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps for the most part.

You realise that's part of the problem though, right? You aren't focused. You ask these things so often that there's no way you know that you are implementing changes effectively. If you aren't following your trainer and are setting workout goals you can't achieve, you aren't being a perfectionist.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

You realise that's part of the problem though, right? You aren't focused. You ask these things so often that there's no way you know that you are implementing changes effectively. If you aren't following your trainer and are setting workout goals you can't achieve, you aren't being a perfectionist.

I ask about diet more so than my routine on the boards. And have done nothing but up my calorie-intake, as per suggestions of everyone on this board and around me, with much success. Recently, I asked for suggestions for abs because that is simple at-home work out stuff. I also asked to have my upper body routine critiqued because I feel like I am advancing out of what is set from my trainer and I wanted to get ideas for more back focused exercises. Is it terrible to ask for suggestions? Is incorporating new exercises not acceptable? I am following my trainer. The difficult part is that she incorporates new exercises so often that it's hard to fit them all into my routine - as shown above. Hence why I am asking if it's really that big of a deal if some are decreased or omitted from time to time.
  • BZAH10
    Options

My lift sessions are only 40-60 minutes and that's because I give a lot of rest time in between sets. The extra half-hour is cardio typically and I just started adding it in since summer is right around the corner. And the failure aspect tends to come from comparing previous gains (being able to up weight weekly) that were made quickly to now coming to a plateau and having it take almost a month to up any significant amount. Just makes me question the set routine. What is considered "low reps"? I see people that do 5 x 5, in which case I assume you would drastically increase the weight? Or would 3-4 sets of 7-8 suffice?

Ah, gotcha. Didn't know that included cardio. I get frustrated too when I'm not progressing like I feel I should but I try to use the same thought process that is preached here over and over about weight loss not being linear so I would think strength gains would fall in that same pattern. Sometimes we progress faster than others.

For me, lower reps depends on the specific exercise so whether you do 5 x 5 or 3 x 8 or whatever combo I think it's dependent on how much you can possibly do. For example, I just increased weights for my tricep kickbacks but it's really a struggle so I can only do 4 x 4 right now but I'll then go to 5 x 4 then 6 x 4 etc until I feel I can increase again.
  • LazSommer
    Options

I ask about diet more so than my routine on the boards. And have done nothing but up my calorie-intake, as per suggestions of everyone on this board and around me, with much success. Recently, I asked for suggestions for abs because that is simple at-home work out stuff. I also asked to have my upper body routine critiqued because I feel like I am advancing out of what is set from my trainer and I wanted to get ideas for more back focused exercises. Is it terrible to ask for suggestions? Is incorporating new exercises not acceptable? I am following my trainer. The difficult part is that she incorporates new exercises so often that it's hard to fit them all into my routine - as shown above. Hence why I am asking if it's really that big of a deal if some are decreased or omitted from time to time.

What are your goals. Are you trying to be a body builder.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

Ah, gotcha. Didn't know that included cardio. I get frustrated too when I'm not progressing like I feel I should but I try to use the same thought process that is preached here over and over about weight loss not being linear so I would think strength gains would fall in that same pattern. Sometimes we progress faster than others.

For me, lower reps depends on the specific exercise so whether you do 5 x 5 or 3 x 8 or whatever combo I think it's dependent on how much you can possibly do. For example, I just increased weights for my tricep kickbacks but it's really a struggle so I can only do 4 x 4 right now but I'll then go to 5 x 4 then 6 x 4 etc until I feel I can increase again.

Gotcha! So when you are increasing you focus on upping your sets versus upping your reps! I like that idea! It seems much more efficient. And good comparison about strength gains not being linear just as weight loss is not. That's a good way to think of it! Thank you for your advice!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

No way! Honestly, my goal when I first started was to get in shape for summer and now I am more so focused on gaining strength. Of course, adding in cardio is to help moderately get in shape for summer but I'm not going to go out and run for 60-minutes like some people on here do! I just enjoy the gym. I like feeling strong and being able to constantly have the mindset that I'm "stronger than I was two weeks ago."
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    do stronglifts and forget all this fancy stuff. Focus on the big main lifts and go as heavy as you can. You'll feel satisfied after that.
  • LazSommer
    Options

No way! Honestly, my goal when I first started was to get in shape for summer and now I am more so focused on gaining strength. Of course, adding in cardio is to help moderately get in shape for summer but I'm not going to go out and run for 60-minutes like some people on here do! I just enjoy the gym. I like feeling strong and being able to constantly have the mindset that I'm "stronger than I was two weeks ago."

Then you're doing way too much. I know people push compound lift routines way too hard here, but they are simple and effective. I'd really recommend looking into the frequently recommended ones. If you're not trying to build every head of every muscle for a competition, you're doing way more than you have to. A compound lifting routine with a few added accessories would probably suit your needs, both goal and time wise.
  • BZAH10
    Options
    To each their own, though. I know the structured programs are promoted and highly recommended but personally I like accessory lifts. I like the variety and since I don't do cardio I use those accessory lifts as my break between my other sets so that I keep my heart rate up.

I'm not the OP nor am I answering for her. Just wanted to say that as good as those structured programs are there is no "one size fits all".
  • LazSommer
    Options
    To each their own, though. I know the structured programs are promoted and highly recommended but personally I like accessory lifts. I like the variety and since I don't do cardio I use those accessory lifts as my break between my other sets so that I keep my heart rate up.

I'm not the OP nor am I answering for her. Just wanted to say that as good as those structured programs are there is no "one size fits all".

I don't disagree with you, but there is a difference between accessory work and doing multiple kinds of squats each leg workout.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

accessory lifts are called that because they are supposed to help you lift better on your main lifts. Otherwise what is the point. If you want to be a perfectionist then you better have perfect form on the big lifts. If you want to get strong you do the big ones.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I was having this issue too (not with feeling like I wasn't doing enough, but with running out of time). 45ish mins on weights and then 25-30 cardio after which always got cut short... my lunch was getting too long (since I go while I'm at work). I always estimated lifting would only take 30 minutes, but I wasn't even close - it takes 45-55 minutes once I "fight" for gym equipment and stuff. My solution to this has been to lift every other day, and do cardio on the days I'm not lifting. That way it's 45 minutes a day. Your muscles need some break too so 1 - 2 rest days depending how you feel. Plus you should have a day off between days lifting assuming the lifts you do are mostly full body.

Since you have a trainer, I would talk to that person directly about how you're feeling. They should modify the routine based not only on your goals, but somewhat on your preferences and satisfaction too. You're paying for their services after all.

For the weight lifting, I would hesitate to come up with your own routine. It is typically more effective to use one created by someone who has education in the area. Maybe modify it if you feel you need a bit of something else (eg. I am considering added hip thrusts to my routine, some people do a high bar squat or front squat instead of a low bar, etc.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's 20 sets of squat-like exercises, which seems like a lot to me but I'm not an expert. How many times a week do you do that? Are you a once a week leg trainer? I don't think that 90 minutes is bad TBH but my preference is not to do cardio every day after lifting. If you're running short on time could you do your normal lifting, skip the cardio, and then later in the day go for a walk? You might find that a walk is helpful because it can be relaxing.

Out of curiosity, do you do a more hamstring-centric day ever?
  • BZAH10
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

accessory lifts are called that because they are supposed to help you lift better on your main lifts. Otherwise what is the point. If you want to be a perfectionist then you better have perfect form on the big lifts. If you want to get strong you do the big ones.

I'm not a perfectionist, but I DO have proper form on both the big lifts and the accessories. I'm simply saying that some of us like to do both.