How long do running shoes last?

Options
I bought a pair of brooks in late February. I now run on average under 10 miles a week. I have been noticing my legs get tired earlier into my runs lately. Could I need new running shoes already?

I've also changed up my routine where I run first thing in the morning without eating or drinking (I used to drink a protein drink before running). Maybe I need fuel before I run?

Any advice/opinions is appreciated!

:smile:

Replies

• rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just read this in an article:

"Determining "shoe life" can be tricky especially since there are many "schools of thought" out there. Chances are high that if you notice tread break down, your cushioning is "going south" or if your shoes are older than 6 months (dependent though on your weekly mileage) you’ll want to replace them. And you want to replace the shoes in question BEFORE you start to notice any pain in your knees, hips, etc.

Keeping track of the mileage on your shoes is recommended, as depending on your size (bigger people generally wear down their shoes faster), runners tend to get anywhere from 300 to 500 miles out of them although 500 is generally for a smaller, lighter runner."
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of Brooks in January and I run 4 - 8 miles a week. Mine still seem fine to me. I always eat before I run - I get up early to run before it's hot - and I don't experience fatigue. I've read that shoes should be replaced every 300 - 400 miles.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My shoes last about 3 or so months. I run about 100 miles a month when it's nice though. Could very well be your shoes, could be fuel. Look on the bottom or your shoes, do you see lots of tread wear or weak spots, it not, try eating before you go out?
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    that would depend on the kind of brooks that you bought (there is a difference between $50 shoes and $150 shoes)....

if you have been wearing the same pair of shoes for every workout every day then you are probably due for a new pair, or two is even better...

each time you workout in your shoes you sweat, and this makes the inside of the shoes wet and this soaks into the padding and other absorbent features of your shoes and it loses some of its capacity for impact....

you should remove your shoes untying the laces and loosening, and then setting the shoes in a place where they can air and dry out so that padding bounces back correctly the next time you wear them....

by having two pairs of shoes that you rotate out each workout you let the shoes dry out properly each time between your wearing them...hence having two pairs at the same time will last longer than two pairs of shoes bought one after the other wore out...

as for the fuel before a workout...everyone is different. some people say they cant eat before a workout, others swear by a large meal...so whatever works for you is what is best for you...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    call me anal, but i log how many miles I run in my shoes ( via nike+).

even though shoes may look good cosmetically, the cushioning properties do diminish over time.

I tend to use mine for around 500 miles then use them for gardening in :-)
  • douglasnorton
    douglasnorton Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well, in the military, we are told to change our running shoes no more than every six months. Realistically, I would say every 4-6 months. That way it will help protect your legs and more importantly, your lower back which takes the most impact from running. Running shoes will typically last between 300-500 miles before needing replacement. That also depends on how often you run as well. If you run about 25 miles a week, 3-4 months is about right. If you run about 10-15 miles a week, 4-6 months is probably more accurate. I hope this helps.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoe and the runner. I can get 400 or so miles per pair. After that I start to feel "shin splinty"

I run out of two of the same pairs of shoes and rotate them each run.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

even though shoes may look good cosmetically, the cushioning properties do diminish over time.

I log my miles on Nike as well. I change them out every 300-400 miles, depending on when I start to feel them break down. The general rule of thumb is 300-500 miles.

I wear mine as casual shoes or outdoor work shoes after I retire them.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I can get about 250 miles on a pair of shoes, but it's really hot here where I run, so I think the heat wears them down a lot.

That said, I alternate about 4 or 5 pairs of shoes, which gives the shoes some time to recover between runs. The cushioning actually needs that.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Been wearing the same pair of gym shoes since Aug 2009, and I got a half marathon out of them in March of this year. I sometimes wear them casually outdoors as well.
    I've probably got a couple of thousand miles out of them and they're completely fine. I don't listen to recommendations, I'll change them when they wear out.
    Oh, they were on sale in Clarks for £20 :laugh. Hands down the best bargain I ever made in my life.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that they last for around 300 miles, then it may be time to look into buying a new pair. I don't know how true it is... I used my Wave Inspire 8s for an entire year without replacing them. The cushion was gone, and they were getting holes... lol, they are now gym shoes since I've upgraded to the 9s. Anyway, I didn't have any issues.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would try to incorporate the pre-workout drink back into your diet before replacing the shoes. I think you may be hungry since you eliminated that fuel source in the morning.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of brooks in late February. I now run on average under 10 miles a week. I have been noticing my legs get tired earlier into my runs lately. Could I need new running shoes already?

I've also changed up my routine where I run first thing in the morning without eating or drinking (I used to drink a protein drink before running). Maybe I need fuel before I run?

Any advice/opinions is appreciated!

:smile:

Maybe youre not resting between runs, maybe it's the heat, maybe youre trying to run too hard; really need more info before suggesting anything.

Generally what you eat the night before is what fuels your run the next morning. The simple carbs you eat in the morning will take approximately 30-45 minutes to convert to glucose/glycogen - and if youre running short distances you will have to consider this time element before taking off.

Depending on your weight, foot plant, and shoe you can expect to get 300 - 700 miles before changing. When I ran in conventional shoes I alternated 3 pair in order to always have a new pair, mid mileage pair and a pair nearing retirement.

Now, I run in 1 pair of minimalist shoes that have no motion control or support and I grind it down to dust. I currently have 1 pair with a large area of tread worn away and just bought replacements. What is so frustrating is the damn soles still wear even more rapidly then the conventional shoes.

I hate to rant but I just cant pass up the chance. Runners are raped by the shoe industry via the practice of "Planned Obsolescence" - A manufacturing decision by a company to make consumer products in such a way that they become out-of-date or useless within a known time period. The main goal of this type of production is to ensure that consumers will have to buy the product multiple times, rather than only once. This naturally stimulates demand for an industry's products because consumers have to keep coming back again and again.

The thought of running barefoot or in huarache sandals grows more appealing everyday.

Rant off

My apologies.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the thought where my shoes last until they start to hurt when I run in them. I've had some shoes that have worn down less than 250 miles and I have a pair of shoes that have lasted me over 700 miles. The pair that has lasted me over 700 miles is also around 2 years old if I'm not mistaken. I have several friends who can have a pair last for well over 1000 miles.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I bought Brooks last year when I first started running. Wore them for 4 months last summer, didn't wear them over the winter (didn't run over the winter), and wore them for about a month this year when I started feeling shin-splinty. I was not running high miles, but at my weight I was asking a lot of those shoes. As soon as I tried on a new pair I realized how much the support in the old ones had broken down. Externally they still looked fine.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am 6'5" and weight 220. I have to get new shoes after about 300 miles. I average about 25 miles a week. I can definitely tell a difference in my legs after a long run. On good shoes they feel sore but happy. On bad shoes I get pins and needles in my thighs and every muscle in my body aches. According to amazon I bought 3 pairs of mizunos and 2 pairs of asics last year. Plus I have to get these weird Lynco L400 insoles from Aetrex. Running is not cheap.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the thought where my shoes last until they start to hurt when I run in them. I've had some shoes that have worn down less than 250 miles and I have a pair of shoes that have lasted me over 700 miles. The pair that has lasted me over 700 miles is also around 2 years old if I'm not mistaken. I have several friends who can have a pair last for well over 1000 miles.

There's no way any pair of running shoes can go that long without the support completely breaking down. They may not hurt your feet until 700+ miles, but it's almost certain they're negatively impacting your knees and back. That said, I never replace my shoes when I should. :/

I disagree. If I find time I will try and look it up, but I believe that it was Arthur Lydiard who would put his very worn out running shoes on the wrong foot just to prove his point that modern running shoes were a farce.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Not anal - smart! :wink: I also track my shoe mileage with the Nike+ app - it's so easy! After each run it asks if I ran with the same shoes, or I can enter a new pair, etc. And it shows me how many miles I've got for each particular shoe. I also pay attention to the tread on the bottom, how my legs and feet feel, etc. But the mileage tracker is awesome because I know when the miles start to add up, I need to be on the lookout for a good deal on a new pair, and can get them purchased before the other pair is worn out or giving me problems.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

There's no way any pair of running shoes can go that long without the support completely breaking down. They may not hurt your feet until 700+ miles, but it's almost certain they're negatively impacting your knees and back. That said, I never replace my shoes when I should. :/

I disagree. If I find time I will try and look it up, but I believe that it was Arthur Lydiard who would put his very worn out running shoes on the wrong foot just to prove his point that modern running shoes were a farce.

FWIW I wouldn't necessarily doubt that the EVA midsole has degraded from when they were new, but there is still plenty left. Honestly, the only reason why my pair won't last 1000 miles or more is the my footstrike on 1 side is flawed, but unfortuantely that's a medical problem that no "corrective device" in a shoe can solve. That said, yes it's a minimalist shoe.